Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Another recycle-center rescue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks almost identical to the 386 my sister had when I was 10....the machine responsible for me ever getting in interest in computers in the first place. Same case and same board, except hers only had 5MB of RAM, an 80MB HDD, DOS 5, and spent about 90% of it's time running Ultima VI and Monkey Island. AMT made that one.

Comment

Originally posted by NeXT View Post
      Bet you $20 this thing was running a *nix of some sort and the Digiboard was used to hang serial terminals off it.
      This thing might have been a "headless" server with no monitor, stuck in a cupboard somewhere and accessed only through terminal on a serial port. As well as *nix, there were other group-oriented OSs around such as OASIS and whatever Wang used for client-server office terminal farms. Everex might have started building systems on one of those before taking up Unix.

I'd try firing it up with a terminal (or emulated terminal like hyperterm) attached to serial port - the BIOS might be configured to look for a terminal rather than a monitor. Though that would be unusual if it is a standard AMI BIOS.

To get the system profile, hook the HDD up to a working system, run SysRescue or one of those toolkits, and see what you can find in the HDD directories - it should become clear what OS and/or filesystem is there and point to the way to further research.

Rick

Comment

Well, progress has been made. Trying for divide-and-conquer, I unplugged everything except the motherboard and video card - now it works, enough to give a picture and boot to the BIOS. I'm not sure yet, but I suspect that the power supply's just gotten old and couldn't cope with running all the board and drives at once anymore.

Turns out it has 1.6MB RAM - I'll have to beef that up a bit.
        Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
        Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
        "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

Hot diggity, there's a scan of the manual for the motherboard! Not a whole lot of information that's not on TULARC, but still good.
          Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
          "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

Success! The problem child was the multi-I/O card; I replaced that with a spare and it's now booting. It's a XENIX System V setup (good Lord, there was a time when you could run Unices in 1.6MB of RAM? Though I've dropped in some extra.) Bitches at me about the missing mega-serial card, even! Of course, now there's the problem of my not having the password, so I'll probably have to image it anyway, but it's still pretty neat to have this thing booting

(Now what I'd really like to know is how come it reports 7MB XMS + 640KB when according to the manual it only supports 256KB, 1MB, and 4MB SIMMs, and it passes the full memory tests so it's not a malfunction? Unless the 640KB isn't actually onboard and it's stealing 1MB out of 8MB for conventional memory...)

Comment

Excellent work

A few months back I bought a dead 386 - turned out to be a cheap'n nasty serial port card someone had thrown in - one of it's caps was shorting. Whip out the card and viola!
              Pretty cool you have something more interesting than DOS preloaded.
              Twitter / YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by commodorejohn View Post
                Success! The problem child was the multi-I/O card; I replaced that with a spare and it's now booting. It's a XENIX System V setup (good Lord, there was a time when you could run Unices in 1.6MB of RAM? Though I've dropped in some extra.) Bitches at me about the missing mega-serial card, even! Of course, now there's the problem of my not having the password, so I'll probably have to image it anyway, but it's still pretty neat to have this thing booting

(Now what I'd really like to know is how come it reports 7MB XMS + 640KB when according to the manual it only supports 256KB, 1MB, and 4MB SIMMs, and it passes the full memory tests so it's not a malfunction? Unless the 640KB isn't actually onboard and it's stealing 1MB out of 8MB for conventional memory...)
                I was wondering about that myself, with 8 sticks of ram, like in your picture I would have thought it had 2, 8, or 32mb. If you use a diagnostic tool, does it report the correct amount of ram? I've used a copy of memtest86 for such things. Maybe it is reporting less ram because you have the bios/v-bios shadowed?
                It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

The manual isn't really enlightening on that topic, but it's certainly a possibility - it is set to shadow the BIOS and video BIOS. I doubt that accounts for the missing 384KB, though...maybe they simply reserve it all?

Comment

8 x 1Mb = 8Mb, 640K conventional, 384K reserved/shadowing, 7Mb XMS - all accounted for.
                    Most 386's I've owned let you use the 384Kb as (or part of it) XMS, guess that one doesn't.

I assumed those chips above the SIMMs were high speed cache.

Edit: although I just went back and you said it started with 1.6Mb - that is pretty weird unless it had 8x256 in there before?? oh well awesome it runs!
                    Twitter / YouTube

Comment

The chips are the cache, yeah (128KB) - I just wasn't sure if conventional memory might not've been somewhere else on the board. But I haven't even tried booting with no SIMMs; I'm willing to buy the "1MB reserved" explanation.

Fortunately, 8MB is more than this system should ever be needing anyway.

Comment

Eh if it was me I load her up with the max of 16mb, since its an SX system. Only downside is having to wait at boot for it to count it all! >.<
                        '. \ / .'
                        '. .'``'. .'
                        ......:::::::`.....`::
                        Currently seeking a Compaq Deskpro 386

Comment

It's actually a 386DX equivalent, it maxes out at 32MB. I actually have that amount in SIMMs on hand, but I'm reserving them for my Macintosh SE/30; of the two systems, I know which one is far more likely to ever come close to using that amount of memory...

(Though I suppose I could split the different and give them 20MB apiece!)

Comment

I happen to have a few if you need a couple (10 sticks, think 60ns). I was going to toss some stuff up for sale this weekend hopefully, and can include a few pair of 16mb 30pins if you want.
                            '. \ / .'
                            '. .'``'. .'
                            ......:::::::`.....`::
                            Currently seeking a Compaq Deskpro 386

Comment

Doesn't look from the documentation like the board can take 16MB SIMMs, but thanks. Really, 8MB is plenty for my needs.

Comment

GAH. I am having a hell of a time getting a boot disk to work. I've tried several different system images on several different disks with several different drives and several different controllers, and they all fail. Not immediately enough to suggest a catastrophic hardware failure; everything runs merrily along through POST and successfully loads the boot sector off at least two of the system images. That seems to be as far as it gets; Xenix and FreeDOS get stuck in some kind of read-from-disk loop but never accomplish anything, and the various MS-DOSes all display some variant of "non-system disk or disk error."

I don't get it; this seems like a pretty standard PC BIOS, so I wouldn't think it should be responding in a non-standard enough way to screw up five different bootloaders, but I can't see that it's a hardware problem, as I've tried multiple combinations of drive, cable, and controller, and anyway if it were a hardware issue I can't see how it would even get far enough to load the boot sector, unless for some reason it's completely failing to move the drive head anywhere but track 0, sector 0, but what kind of sense does that make?

Can anybody help me figure out what's going wrong here?

Edit: Alternatively, it could be that I was lazy and did not account for the possibility that a known-good drive might have developed a problem once I'd verified the controllers were working, and then spent hours banging my head against the wall for no good reason. That might be what happened, sure.
                                Last edited by commodorejohn; April 29, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X