Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

"Better" 486 Video / Graphics Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be playing games in DOS on the 486...

What is a good price to find either a ET4000 or Cirrus Logic card?

I have an ET4000 PCI card, but that of course wont go in the 486 ISA board.
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Comment

There are pretty substantial differences between the ET4000, ET4000W32 and ET4000W32i/p. The performance of the latter is quite a bit better than the two former. For a VLB version of the card I wouldn't pay more than $20. You can still get them for that price if you're patient (like willing to wait a year perhaps). If you want it immediately, you're probably looking at $50.
      "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Comment

DOS video cards were pretty close on the same BUS. To see real improvement you had to upgrade your bus. I remember when VLB came about and it just blew ISA video cards out of the water. Then PCI came about and DOS performance was just maxed out.

Based on the BUS I'd recommend the following (which seems inline with what others are saying):

ISA: Tseng ET4000 - it is fast and compatible. Plus cheap. You can hang out and wait for an ET4000W32, they exist but in 5 years I have not seen one for sale. But then again I have not looked very hard.
        EISA: Not much here. Even though there was potential most of it was used for NICs and SCSI cards. EISA was mostly in the server space so graphics were neglected. Your two best choices are either the Elsa Winner 2000 or miro 32S card. Both have 4MB of VRAM and are based on S3 chips. I have not found much difference between the two (although I have done no formal testing) except in windows where the miro card supports much higher resolutions. I would love to see an EISA ET4000/W32 based card but I don't think one was ever produced.
        VLB: Tseng ET4000W32i.
        PCI: Any early NVidia or the 3dfx banshee card. By then just about everything for DOS was accelerated in these chip sets. I'd personally go banshee to get DOS 3D compatibility due to 3dfx's early domination of the market.
        AGP: see PCI - although I don't know if there were any 486 or even low end Pentium AGP systems...

You can still apparently buy NEW ISA/VLB Tseng cards from these guys for an expensive price. But you get support.... :/
        Last edited by Shadow Lord; April 7, 2013, 08:08 PM.
        Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Comment

Diamond Speedstar VLB Pro is my choice for one of 486 machines. It comes with 1 MB on-board and the Cirrus GD5428 chipset. It will run any DOS game that you can throw at it and gets great results while achieving 1024x768 @ 256 colors. If you're running WIN95/WIN98, drivers are no problem and are natively supported. Check out this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAMOND-Spee...item3cd043c3ba
          Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

It's true that any VL card can blow any ISA vga card out of the water regarding speed. But...it's simply not true that all VLB cards give about the same level of DOS performance. If you're just running Sierra games you don't need much more than an ISA card and 256kb RAM. But if you are running 3D games or high-res stuff from the 94-96 period, you find some cards run much better than others.

If you want an ET4000W32P card for VLB, I can get you one for about $17 plus shipping. Probably about $30 in all. Card is untested though.

V'Ger XT

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
              It's true that any VL card can blow any ISA vga card out of the water regarding speed. But...it's simply not true that all VLB cards give about the same level of DOS performance. If you're just running Sierra games you don't need much more than an ISA card and 256kb RAM. But if you are running 3D games or high-res stuff from the 94-96 period, you find some cards run much better than others.

If you want an ET4000W32P card for VLB, I can get you one for about $17 plus shipping. Probably about $30 in all. Card is untested though.
              AC not sure if this is directed at me but if it is while I agree certain cards are better then others (i.e. a S3 VLB card kicks the crap out of a Trident VLB card) my point was much more speed/performance was gained by changing the bus then the card. I.E. any POS PCI card would beat out even the best ISA and probably most if not all VLB cards.

As for the ET4000W32 thanks for the offer. But I don't have any VLB systems. I have ISA for my 386 and below, EISA for my 486, and PCI (or better) from then on. Before I could get on the VLB bandwagon it had already passed an PCI was in full vogue (my upgrade cycle went like this: 5160 -> generic 486/33 -> self built Pentium 200MMX that took from ~1988 to 2003). I maybe interested in an ISA (not sure how beneficial it would be in a 386sx-16) one and as I said I would salivate at a EISA one but I don't believe such a beat ever existed.

Thanks again...
              Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Comment

Looks like such a card did exist.

I was curious so I Googled it, now you've got something for the wish list.

There's a few around, found out by looking at this; http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics...l#.UWJ6YaCbUeF
                YouTube (Mostly DOS Stuff) | Let's Plays (Mostly DOS Games) | Twitch.TV | Duke4.net
                DOSBox sucks, my Casio is better than your Roland and my clone is better than your overblown proprietary box.

Comment

Sure, there are plenty of ET4000 cards. Were you trying to show us an ET4000W32 for EISA bus? I couldn't see one in the list you provided. Actually, I seem to remember such a card existing...but it's not really worth tracking down. The ET4000W32 doesn't do interleaved memory, so at best all you're looking at is improved Windows performance. I'd rather have an S3 928 card personally.

V'Ger XT

Comment

EISA video cards are hard to find as is, let alone be picky about the chipset.
                    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Not surprising, I've never seen EISA in real life, I am guessing it was not popular in my area (There are a lot of weird things related to technology in my area, we're a bit backwards and we only have one ISP)... Though as I plan on one more 486 build, I think I will try and get one with EISA, I want to play with it.

Originally posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
                      Sure, there are plenty of ET4000 cards. Were you trying to show us an ET4000W32 for EISA bus? I couldn't see one in the list you provided. Actually, I seem to remember such a card existing...but it's not really worth tracking down. The ET4000W32 doesn't do interleaved memory, so at best all you're looking at is improved Windows performance. I'd rather have an S3 928 card personally.
                      There are three on that list, third, fith and sixth ones down the list. Perhaps I should have linked directly to it. I was responding to Shadow Lord as he didn't think they existed.
                      YouTube (Mostly DOS Stuff) | Let's Plays (Mostly DOS Games) | Twitch.TV | Duke4.net
                      DOSBox sucks, my Casio is better than your Roland and my clone is better than your overblown proprietary box.

Comment

I highly suspect at least some of the ET4000 cards on that list are misidentified as EISA. EISA and OPTi local bus (not VESA local bus) use an identical connector. One of the cards listed clearly states it is opti local bus in the title. The second one merely states "local bus". EISA is NOT a local bus.

V'Ger XT

Comment

Ah, I didn't notice that, feel free to facepalm at me.

Rubbish excuse; I haven't seen that around either, though I do remember hearing of it's existence. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :P

Comment

Originally posted by High_Treason View Post
                            Looks like such a card did exist.

I was curious so I Googled it, now you've got something for the wish list.

There's a few around, found out by looking at this; http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics...l#.UWJ6YaCbUeF
                            Thanks for the linkage. I can't say I have ever seen those cards except for some of the miscategorized OPTI bus cards. Of course finding them on Stason and finding them available w/ the necessary drivers is a whole other issue. The cards I see most often are the Compaq cards and the Elsa cars come up once every six month or so. Neither of which are super performers but are more than good enough. I know some of the guys here have paired up a Spectrum/24 w/ a Elsa w/ good success for good DOS and windows performance.

p.s. I don't see any ET4000W32 cards on that list either. The ones you point to are ET4000 cards - a completely different chipset designed for use w/ ISA bus not native EISA.

Thanks for looking out though!

Comment

So how much better are these ET4000 cards than competing S3 and Cirrus chipsets? Does anyone have both and want to try out with 'doom -timedemo demo3'?

Comment

Hatta:

Either the Tseng ET4000 or the Cirrus S3 is like the Chevy/Ford argument. A lot of you gaming experience will depend on your basic system layout; i.e., CPU, RAM, etc. Also, whether your emphasis will be on DOS or WIN95/WIN98 gaming. Both of the these video cards will perform very well in the DOS mode. Lining up the correct drivers for Win95/Win98 gaming can be trying, but that's all part of it. If I'm in the market now (I'm not), I would probably go with a Diamond Stealth 64 if my mobo had a PCI slot. You may want to visit "BenchMarkReviews.com" and get some firsthand info before you make that purchase.
                                Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

Working...
                                X