• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this an external number pad port?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
Anyone got a picture of one that plugs into that headphones looking port?

Attachments

• 20130703_202512.jpg
    20130703_202512.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1
It would help a lot if you would at least identify the machine that you have taken the picture of.

Lol makes sense! It's a Compaq LTE elite 4/50cx laptop.

I've also always wondered why on earth they used a headphone jack for the numpad.

It is small, the parts are easy and cheap to get, and the data stream is serial in nature so it doesn't require multiple pins?

I've also always wondered why on earth they used a headphone jack for the numpad.
Why not? Makes a lot of sense, considering the limited space for connectors on a laptop.

Actually, I was wondering why he needs a picture or why he's asking since there's a picture beside the jack.

I'm sort of curious as to what the protocol is with only 3 conductors available. (tip, ring, sleeve). Async serial over one line with the other two supplying power?

+5,Serial,GND could be possible.
Could potentially just a measurement wire, with only a few keys using capacitance or resistance you could work out what was going on with only two wires. A third could be used if you wanted a num lock light. I don't have any, so can't look :S no idea what the standards were for those.

Just making sure. I've looked on ebay for one but so far haven't found a picture yet.

Yep, That's recycledgoods.com. High prices and way overpriced shipping!!

Of course, you could make him an offer, but he will reject or ignore it.

Last edited:
I find that with the high quantity sellers you don't even get responses to messages most of the time :-(

Back