Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

OS2 Warp on Compaq LTE Elite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a quick gander it seems at one point I installed the Remote Access Client from my Warp Server 4 package which will explain the differences. And yes it is just a vanilla v3 looking at the boot screen.

I was using Gotcha! but now back to using PCCamera again for the screen shots.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; August 1, 2013, 01:33 AM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

I'm totally fine with static ip, that's what I have been using on all my old windows install. I just would have tried DHCP if it was there to see if it would get things working.

Comment

I have found some interesting information out that might help us figure out what's going on.

- The wifistate utility shows that I'm connected to the router.
        - I have tried with both a router and my phone as an access point (which both work fine in Windows 95).
        - I can move the laptop farther away and closer and see the signal to the router/ap increase and decrease.
        - I can suddenly turn off the router/ap and the wifistate utility shows that it is no longer connected.

I say all that because upon investigation neither the router or my phone reports a connection from the laptop! How could the wifistate utility report that it is connected if it really wasn't connected? I think this is the root of the problem.

Comment

You may need to change the password connection method on the router. OS/2 Warp predates many of the wireless protection methods. I think you will have to set the router to use WEP with 64-bit encryption for OS/2 to transfer data with the router. Yes, this makes it easy for anyone else to enjoy your router.

Comment

I was going with open for the initial tests. No reason to try out WEP if open doesn't work...

Comment

Thanks Cal for the picture/comparison.
              Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

Caluser, I don't guess your also using an Orinoco card are you? If so then I could steal your config.sys to look at and a few other settings. It might help me pin down what the deal is.

I have three places where I have SSID settings:
                - in my profile.ini (the MMTP setttings updated this for me)
                - in the MMTP settings for my orinoco card
                - in the wifistate utility

Another thing that I don't know if this is normal or not:
                1. During bootup and the LAN/MMTP initialization (console during boot) the lights on the card come on and both blink a few times
                2. Once booted into OS/2 both lights blink every 10 seconds
                (From the manual "The PC Card works fine, but did not yet succeed establishing a wireless connection with the wireless Infrastructure.")
                3. Once I start up the wifistate utility the power light comes on and the lights act as if connected correctly
                4. If I exit the wifistate utility the card stays active

Maybe if I could get the card to connect during step #1 or #2 things would work?
                Last edited by pcm2a; August 1, 2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barythrin View Post
                  Thanks Cal for the picture/comparison.
                  You're welcome. Happy to share. For some reason they had File Sharing as NO though. I suspect that was to push the server product line.

pcm2a I'm strickly a wired guy for my old stuff. I do have a PCMIA wireless Cisco card I'm going to have a crack at sometime though.
                  Last edited by Caluser2000; August 2, 2013, 02:40 PM. Reason: Additions
                  Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Comment

More nuggets of almost useless information...

- On my router (WRT54G, Tomato) I can see the mac address of the Orinoco connected. I found that very interesting.
                    - On my phone (access point) I do not see the Orinoco connected, also interesting...

As to the blinking lights that I describe in the post above:
                    - I took out my Orinoco Gold card and put in my Orinoco Silver card (upgraded to Gold firmware)
                    - During the bootup with this card the power light does come on and it makes it's real but not real connection to my router/ap
                    So I guess that's not causing my problems. I wonder why one powers on and one doesn't, but both will power on once OS/2 is booted up.

- Taking either card out while OS/2 is running means that's the end of that, until you reboot. Not very plug and play.

Comment

Tried a fixpack to upgrade from 8.2 to 8.25. Fixpack installed great, get a trap during boot Good thing I made a partition backup first.

Comment

Originally posted by pcm2a View Post
                        Tried a fixpack to upgrade from 8.2 to 8.25. Fixpack installed great, get a trap during boot Good thing I made a partition backup first.
                        You can back out of fixpacks with a little work https://www.allthingsdigital.nl/2001...n-os2-fixpack/
                        I had a similar issue on my old Warp 4 box with Fixpack 15 so backed out and installed 14.

OS/2 Warp had some cool stuff like backing up desktop/system settings well before it was incorporated into MSs offerings.
                        Last edited by Caluser2000; August 2, 2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Day 999 troubleshooting update, lol. Today I downloaded the Xircom (parallel ethernet) drivers. Took about 10 seconds to remove the Orinoco and install the Xircom. Rebooted and the network works fine. I'm thinking my next step is to locate some other drivers for this Orinoco card. Some sites day to use the Artem driver some say to use the Prism driver. The Artem woudn't power on either of my Gold cards, so I went with the prism. Maybe I can find an older version of it.

I also have this Wavelan card on the way. The model number is the same on the back PC24E-H-FC but maybe it will use a different chipset. For example there are Wavelan pcmcia drivers for Win 3.1 but there are not Orinoco drivers. I'll give it a shot when it comes in next week.

Comment

There's a Prism driver at http://www.josephn.net/rare_drivers which may or may not function Come across the site looking for Aironet 350 Dos drivers.
                            Last edited by Caluser2000; August 3, 2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

2.0 RC4 is the generic prism driver that I had been using with the "partial success". I've been looking for an older version of it but no luck yet.

I find people reporting they have had success with an "ibmprism.exe" and an "ibmwifi2.exe". I tried found the "ibmprism.exe" but the card did not power on with it. I see billions of references to the ibmwifi2.exe" but have not found a copy to download. Keep an eye out for it.

Comment

Seems it was a down load available to Software Choice subcribers but the files could well be in the eComstation demo cd- http://www.ecomstation.com/democd/

I've also PMed a possible useful link. It's a directory listing from eC.
                                Last edited by Caluser2000; August 2, 2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X