• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to remember what kind of Unisys PC I grew up with - help! :-D

80s kid

So now that I've stumbled onto this fantastic forum, I've got this question that's been knawing away at me for some time now.

Back in '94 / '95, we got our first PC. Up till that time my father used to run on an Atari 1040STfm, while my mother never touched computers. Anyway, the machine we got was a secondhand Unisys machine. Here's what I remember:
the CPU was a 386. Not quite sure whether it was an SX or DX, I'm leaning slightly towards DX. Clockspeed was probably 25ish MHz. It came with 4MB of RAM and a whopping 212 MB Quantum HDD. It didn't have any PS/2 style ports, the keyboard used a DIN plug while the mouse was COM. The system only had a 3,5" floppy drive, no 5,25" drive. I know for sure that the system didn't have any SCSI ports. I also know for sure that they did a 486 version with the exact same desktop style case.
We later got the legendary Soundblaster 16 card installed, together with a 2x Creative CD-ROM drive, and the set came with C type battery powered Labtec speakers. Those were the days...

Now, I've got a little hobby of collecting retro machines going. Actually, I had it going back when I still lived at home, the limit then was my mother, who at one point got sick and tired of me hoarding about 10 computers in her workroom - then when I moved out, limits on the budget as well as the availability of space became the new limits. Right now I have several Atari 1040ST's (one STf, two STe's), a complete Vectra 386/16N with original screen, keyboard and mouse, a Compaq Presario CDS520 (486DX2@66MHz, off the top of my head), and a Pentium 1 200MHz powered Highscreen miditower.

I'm not especially trying to go out and buy one of those old Unisys machines, partially because it's nearly impossible to find any that still work, beside the slick CWD machines. Still, I would like to figure out what kind of machine it was that I spent so many afternoons playing Commander Keen on! So anyone who recognizes the above description, please chime in!

Nope, definitely not the PW2 series. The case design was a lot slimmer than that. I've stumbled upon these low quality pictures by chance last night though, it looks slightly similar, although the one we had had a second 3,5" front slot where we fit the CD-ROM drive later on. Also, this guy's is a 286 while we had the 386. If you have any clue as to what its name is that would be awesome! I'd mail the owner of that site, but he hasn't updated it since 2005, and I can't seem to find an address... maybe through a whois...

http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/gadgett/computer/UNISISOT.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/gadgett/computer/UNISISIN.JPG

Back