Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

MCA Video Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCA Video Card

Guys,

I stumbled upon this while searching for parts. It was in an SVGA box, but I can't find any info on it anywhere.

FRU: 15F7932
    Part No?: 33F4473

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lolo

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

I think it's over at MCAmafia but there is this beautiful tool you can download and run and it gives you a list of any installed MCA cards, configured or not, by taking their Device ID and comparing to a copy of the list from MCAmafia.

I'd give you a copy of the bootable diskette I made but the forum thinks a 200k file is too big to attach.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Originally posted by NeXT View Post
      I'd give you a copy of the bootable diskette I made but the forum thinks a 200k file is too big to attach.
      Don't be so lazy. Do what everyone else does and make it available on Dropbox or one of the many other FREE services!
      PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
        Don't be so lazy. Do what everyone else does and make it available on Dropbox or one of the many other FREE services!
        Alright, if you want it that way you can have it as a rawrite image. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/MCA_IDNT.rar

Now, for you people reading this thread in the future the link above died a week after it was posted because I don't like dozens of little parasitic files leching off the bandwidth a free Dropbox account gives you monthly, so I deleted the file.
        [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Originally posted by NeXT View Post
          Now, for you people reading this thread in the future the link above died a week after it was posted because I don't like dozens of little parasitic files leching off the bandwidth a free Dropbox account gives you monthly, so I deleted the file.
          If Dropbox doesn't give a damn I don't see why you should!!! It's *their* bandwidth, not yours. What's that attitude all about? Not gettin' any lately?
          PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by chulofiasco View Post
            Guys,

I stumbled upon this while searching for parts. It was in an SVGA box, but I can't find any info on it anywhere.

FRU: 15F7932
            Part No?: 33F4473

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
            Lolo
            Much to my surprise I also struck a blank. As I am sure you know the FRU "15F7932" identifies a "field replaceable unit" and there may be several different looking cards that are functionally equivalent. But its not in any of the usual lists, e.g.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/video/Video.htm

however searching on the part number on the chip shows its used on some PS/2 models with video on the Planar (Mother Board board for non-ibmers)

http://ps-2.kev009.com/cgi-bin/searc...t&xFILTERS=--O

will list the relevant pages, one of which is the PS/2 M55SX..
            ... and looking at the PS/2 55SX it looks like its a boring VGA adaptor....
            Dave
            G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals.

Comment

Yeah, judging from the parts on the board (IBM/Epson 15F6864, Inmos G171-35), this is just a plain old VGA.

I don't think I've ever seen a true IBM MCA VGA on a card before. I wonder what this thing's deal was, considering that most PS/2s had the 15F6864 on the planar.

Comment

Originally posted by lee4hmz View Post
                I don't think I've ever seen a true IBM MCA VGA on a card before. I wonder what this thing's deal was, considering that most PS/2s had the 15F6864 on the planar.
                Also, the IBM VGA chips I've seen, either on PS/2 planar or on IBM ISA cards, have a package in the form of a gray ceramic(?) slab. This one has a very different package.
                http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-ke...o-programming/

Comment

That's a typical type of IBM encapsulation, ceramic substrate with pins, and an aluminum shell to cover it. It started, IIRC, with SLC in the System/360 but was also used for higher pin count parts. Seems to be a quick way for IBM to throw a chip die in a package when working with something new.
                  Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I downloaded the MCA card ID program, it's pretty cool. I've found myself in a conundrum -- too many spare parts and not enough time to play with them ! i've not yet discovered what this thing is, but my thought process followed the majority of the responses. the fact that i've got an apparently stable system, i haven't wanted to piss her off too much. i found a cornerstone video board MC1608C/11 that i've been meaning to play with as well. i have an NEC LCD3000, i intend on trying out the BNC RGB-HV input with the card.

i've been trying to find a beast video accelerator for the 9595 system i've been building, but there seems to be (is?) a dearth of high color cards left in the wild.

Comment

If you want beastly video accelerators an IrisVision paired with the XGA-2 card will work and odds are it's the best combination you'll ever get. Remember that we're in the years before high performance PC video cards existed outside of CAD/CAM.

= Excellent space heater

Comment

i wouldn't even know where to find the microchannel version of the iris vision. that sounds like a tall order to fill !

aside from that, what's a good high color card?

Comment

XGA could do 16-bit color in 640x480.

There used to be a guy who I think ran the unofficial irisvision page that had spares you could buy but that was years ago.

= Excellent space heater

Comment

I've got 64K with xga-2, 800x600 in os/2 ... Maybe I'm just psychotic and don't remember what year I'm supposed to be in... I don't know what I'm holding out for.. Lmao

It seems like 256 colors was a big thing ! ������

��

Comment

Working...
                            X