• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm ps/2 55sx

Hi!

I have the legendary IBM PS/2 55SX that i see here on the forum is very common, wonder why ;) ?

I have the most common problem with my ibm... The errors 161 163 and offcourse the red cross and the book.

The problem is that the error keeps showing up even if i cleaned the ibm (even the psu!) and cleaned the floppy disk reader laser. I have the reference disk in but it wont boot. The Harddrive is working and the floppy is trying to read (it sounds). I even tried hitching a floppy drive from another computer to the ibm... But no luck ??! Its just trying to read and makes 2 beeps.

So what is the problem ?

Heres a video:

Hitching floppy drive (yes this floppy is fully working in the acer):

P.S Yes, i even changed the Dallas to a new one!

Last edited:
OH boy... where to start...

#1 Only special IBM drives will work in these machines. Either source a replacement or fix the one it came with. Hopefully, there has not been permanent damage to the motherboard.
#2 In my experience, even changing the dallas chip will not work to remove the error. There is a way to mod the original chip to have a new battery.

IMHO these IBM machines are HORRIBLE machines for people who are uninitiated with their idiosyncrasies. They are a mix of standard and obscure asinine special snowflake parts. For example the floppy drive. The physical drives are 95% the same as standard. However, they decide to power teh drive from the motherboard via the data cable. While they were at it, they used the same cable as standard floppy drives. IBM is both brilliant and pants-on-heat retarded at the same time.

That said, they can really be neat machines, once you get over the learning curve. You need to decide for yourself if this is a path you want to take. Standard machines will be cheaper and easier to work with. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic, but IBM is like an abusive husband, and I'm the wife saying "once you get to know him, he's not a bad guy".

OH boy... where to start...

#1 Only special IBM drives will work in these machines. Either source a replacement or fix the one it came with. Hopefully, there has not been permanent damage to the motherboard.
#2 In my experience, even changing the dallas chip will not work to remove the error. There is a way to mod the original chip to have a new battery.

IMHO these IBM machines are HORRIBLE machines for people who are uninitiated with their idiosyncrasies. They are a mix of standard and obscure asinine special snowflake parts. For example the floppy drive. The physical drives are 95% the same as standard. However, they decide to power teh drive from the motherboard via the data cable. While they were at it, they used the same cable as standard floppy drives. IBM is both brilliant and pants-on-heat retarded at the same time.

That said, they can really be neat machines, once you get over the learning curve. You need to decide for yourself if this is a path you want to take. Standard machines will be cheaper and easier to work with. I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic, but IBM is like an abusive husband, and I'm the wife saying "once you get to know him, he's not a bad guy".
Yep, IBM are veeerrryyy special.... Anyways the original Alps floppy drive is working no problem, i just tested hitching a floppy drive from the acer and used it as power supply :) But the Alps just read exacly the same way.

So any recomendations ?

Back