• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Hard Drive Issues

404TimeNotFound

Experienced Member
So I recently picked up a complete IBM PS/2 Model 55SX at a local thrift store for twenty bucks. It gets the 161 and 163 errors which is no big surprise however I noticed that the indicator light for the hard disk is always on from the moment you turn the machine on. I booted from a DOS disk and attempted to access the drive with no success, I then tried to run ScanDisk which popped up with "cannot examine drive C" and when I insert a DOS install disk it doesn't detect the drive. My guess is the drive is bad however I thought I might get a second opinion before I try and hunt down another ESDI drive.

So I recently picked up a complete IBM PS/2 Model 55SX at a local thrift store for twenty bucks. It gets the 161 and 163 errors which is no big surprise however I noticed that the indicator light for the hard disk is always on from the moment you turn the machine on. I booted from a DOS disk and attempted to access the drive with no success, I then tried to run ScanDisk which popped up with "cannot examine drive C" and when I insert a DOS install disk it doesn't detect the drive. My guess is the drive is bad however I thought I might get a second opinion before I try and hunt down another ESDI drive.

You need to take care of the 161/163 errors first, setup needs to be all in order for the HD to be usable.

That said, you could still have a failed HD, would not be uncommon, I would honestly suggest trying to find an MCA SCSI card (easier than trying to find than a working EDSI drive), then you could use any SCSI HD, even modern ones, or even solid state options (like SCSI2SD).

That said, you could still have a failed HD, would not be uncommon, I would honestly suggest trying to find an MCA SCSI card (easier than trying to find than a working EDSI drive), then you could use any SCSI HD, even modern ones, or even solid state options (like SCSI2SD).

That's a great idea. I have a 55SX with a "maybe dead" ESDI drive. Looked around and found an inexpensive IBM 92F0160 at serverworlds.com and a cheap cable and drive on ebay. Just have to find the reference disk for the adapter.

With any luck, it all goes together and works. I haven't used SCSI in years - always seem to have the wrong cables in hand. The SCSI2SD looks really interesting.

For @404TimeNotFound: first thing I'd do is make a reference disk and boot from that to go through setup process. You can also search for ways to fix or replace the clock module (I've done both). Also, see this thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?50958-Ibm-ps-2-55sx/page2, especially post #19 - I've had to do that to get one to boot from the hard drive.

Last edited:
Wrote and ran the setup disk, hard drive LED went off after the setup completed however since the Battery/RTC chip (who thought these were a good idea anyways?) is dead it didn't last the reset so fingers crossed it's just that I need to run it. I did see a walkthrough for a "hack job" for attaching a 3v button cell to the chip however I thought I'd try my luck with a NOS chip off of eBay before I try and jury-rig it, I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for all the help and pointers so far, it's definitely making it easier.

Sigh!

My luck (or lack thereof) with SCSI cables continues. All the parts I ordered are here now and the attached shows somewhat of a mismatch between the connector on the board and the connector at the end of the cable. Both are 68 pins, but they sure don't mate. After looking at connectors online I'm more confused than ever.

Can somebody tell me the proper names for these connectors? I need a female something to a female something else, but hate to keep guessing.

100_0782.jpg

I've heard the one on the card referred to as an "SCA68", but I doubt that it's an official name--it just resembles the 80-conductor SCSI SCA connector. Just call it "IBM Unique". The one on the right is an HD68 SCSI connector.

IBM decided it would be an AWESOME idea to use non-standard cable ends for their scsi cards.

Hey, luckybob - it is a great success story! That link showed "More than 10 available, 1 sold" so I jumped on it. I can whack a length off the long SCSI cable with the proper connector for the hard drive and crimp one of these on. Yahoo! It all should be working by the end of the week.

Just call it "IBM Unique".

You are so right, like so much IBM stuff. They were probably the inspiration for some of Apple's oddball stuff.

Last edited:
I would assume pinout is still the same on that connector as standard 68pin SCSI, in which case, you could just crimp on one of those oddball ends onto a standard 68pin SCSI cable. The connector is available from Mouser.

hmm. that wasn't available when I looked to do mine. At $12 each connector, I would probably still do it the way I did it. You get 2 adapters, (or get 2 chances to make one) and you can use standard cables without modding them.

It lives! Hard drive is still good and it first boots to DOS, pops up saying it has a double buffering manager installed, then proceeds to auto run a few things then loads up Windows 3.1. Looks like a fairly typical installation with the addition of Microsoft Office and the original Civilization game. Thanks for the help, definitely saved me from dropping a fortune on a new hard drive ;)

It lives! Hard drive is still good and it first boots to DOS, pops up saying it has a double buffering manager installed, then proceeds to auto run a few things then loads up Windows 3.1. Looks like a fairly typical installation with the addition of Microsoft Office and the original Civilization game. Thanks for the help, definitely saved me from dropping a fortune on a new hard drive ;)

YAY, happy to hear its working for you! Always like it when people get old rigs up and running again :)

Those cables aren't too hard to find if you know what to look for. IBM used them quite a bit on the RS/600 line of servers.
Most of the sellers on eBay want way too much for them though.

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-40H7572...073785?hash=item360e1de379:g:VIMAAOSwrklVcG17

Just a FYI followup. I bought a SCSI cable like the one linked to above. The SCSI controller is the MCA Corvette. The IBM P/N for the cable is 40H7572. Others There are other RS/6000 cables that will work, too. Just be sure the seller shows good pictures of the connectors.

Here are the pics:

DSC00453.jpgDSC00454.jpg

Last edited:
Wrote and ran the setup disk, hard drive LED went off after the setup completed however since the Battery/RTC chip (who thought these were a good idea anyways?) is dead it didn't last the reset so fingers crossed it's just that I need to run it. I did see a walkthrough for a "hack job" for attaching a 3v button cell to the chip however I thought I'd try my luck with a NOS chip off of eBay before I try and jury-rig it, I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for all the help and pointers so far, it's definitely making it easier.

Jameco has the DS12887 in stock for under 10 bucks. I dropped one in my 55SX (and a Dec PC that used the same) and worked fine. On the 55SX, after dropping in a new RTC, you gotta run 2 commands in debug to get it to properly work (found this was true in my case anyways):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-797022.html

Back