• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 90 and 95

Those are nice machines, I have a 95 and a 90 myself along with a few more models. Were those the machines that had sound cards in them? If so what models were they?

The 90 has a SoundPiper 16/32 MCA. I have no idea how to open the 95. The 90 POSTs. The 95 does not yet POST. It appears that the CRTs may not be good unfortunately (8514s).

The 95's PSU works. The LED shows codes like 69. But there is no output from the VGA and/or VGA capture card. I have tried connecting straight to VGA as well as to the output from the VGA to VGA capture card. Later on it throws error 0208 601U as an error with a few beeps.

Last edited:
Picked up a Model 90 and 95 today. Both need some work (as usual). Very nice seller: IBM executive who was in charge of supply chain for all IBM PS/2 back in the day. He saved both machines from destruction in the 90s when IBM discontinued the PS/2 line.

https://ibmvaluepoint.blogspot.com/2018/12/ibm-ps2-model-90-95.html

Outstanding you saved those! Saw those on Craigslist for $50. I was hoping someone who appreciated them would pick them up as they look to be in excellent condition. Nice catch and I would love to hear the specs.

Yep. It remains to be seen what condition they are in. The 95 does not output anything to the CRTs. The 90 does not take reference disks. :( Then again: with 25+ year old equipment expecting it to work right away (especially PS/2s) is a bit unrealistic.

They ended up not being $50 however: word spread like wildfire on these and the seller mentioned he had many shipping offers with some serious $ behind them. No good deed (Craigslist thread post) goes unpunished. ;)

One sound card was worth much more then $50.
I forget how to remove the side panel on the 95, I think you might need to pull the face off to do it.
My capture card is the M-Motion which has a cable dongle on the capture card and you need to put a terminator on the XGA output (plus run software to switch the video output).

you lucky jerk. He told me someone local was getting them, and I instantly knew it was going to be you. I offered several hundred dollars for the machines plus shipping. So that was likely me. I'm not mad, but it is kinda crappy to post they are on craigslist as "available" and then get them for yourself. I mean it just feels bad from my perspective.

ANYWAY...

Teh 95 opens from the front. The face pulls off from the bottom and swings up. Should be self explanatory from there. At the very least treat us with good pics?

Last edited:
Yea, if they were local to me I would have snagged them and then posted about it instead of inviting competition. ;)

What do 95's go for on ebay these days, haven't really seen them lately.

Nevermind seems like the 90 and 95 are being flipped already so we will find out.

I wrote the seller on Friday. By Saturday afternoon I had not heard anything so I posted them in the Craigslist thread as a courtesy. Both machines are not operational so there is no point in holding on to them. I also spent 4 hours driving in snow/ice at great peril to retrieve the machines. Similar to a few months ago (without the snow/ice) with a 5150, Model 57, 80 and 90 that all turned out now to work where I spent 6 hours driving. The 8514s will be recycled at Staples today as they are also not operational unfortunately.

I wrote the seller on Friday. By Saturday afternoon I had not heard anything so I posted them in the Craigslist thread as a courtesy. Both machines are not operational so there is no point in holding on to them. I also spent 4 hours driving in snow/ice at great peril to retrieve the machines. Similar to a few months ago (without the snow/ice) with a 5150, Model 57, 80 and 90 that all turned out now to work where I spent 6 hours driving. The 8514s will be recycled at Staples today as they are also not operational unfortunately.

:confused: - really sad you just didn't restore them. beautiful machines, but if you need the money...

The Model 95 auction was over $500 before it was pulled. Another IBM'er messaged the eBay seller and got some evasive answers and a load of baloney that it was damaged during the auction and recycled.

The machines are still worth big bucks as parts.

I have some information to share, later today once I get home from work.

Ok, so I'm going to start this post by prefacing it by telling everyone THIS IS ALL MY FAULT, and Peter is probably collecting flack from people that was my doing. Again, this was all my fault, but I'm going to do my best to explain what happened from my point of view.

Face it, we ALL were watching that post in the Craigslist thread about the 90 & 95, and we all know why. As soon as I saw it, I messaged the person offering a significant sum of money. We chatted a bit, and he told me that Peter had already gotten the machines. Naturally I pissed and moaned about it like an entitled child.

z9c83.jpg

I mentioned to him (i'll leave his name out of this) that I was literally ready to throw money at him when he mentioned he had a 3rd machine he might let go. At this point I offered even more cash (i got my xmas bonus, and I was determined to spend it). It would seem that I caused a kerfuffle and I was not privy to the details but I do know the results. It would seem he contacted Peter and asked for the machine back. There was a flurry of emails and messages, and by the time the dust settled my X-mas bonus was spent (and then some) and 2 packages are in route to my house from North Carolina.

Again, this was 100% my fault. I know I stepped on some toes here, and I wish things had happened differently. Peter got shafted by my selfish actions and I intend to work with him privately to make it right. None of this is the fault of the gentleman from Craigslist. So if you have any resentment or bitter feelings, I want you to direct them my direction. I pulled in every favor from every friend I had here in Denver and threw as much money as I could at these machines. If it is any consolation, I had a $800 max bid on the model 95 alone. I say that not to brag, but to put a bit of context as to the depths I will go to get these machines. Bear in mind, I make $500 every 2 weeks. I have but $100 a month I can justify on vintage computers, and had it not been for an excellent Christmas bonus, this would have been something I would only have had the chance to watch from the sidelines. So I can relate to the frustration you might be experiencing right now.

I apologize to everyone here about how I caused all this to happen, but the most damning thing of all, If I had to do it all over again, I would. That scares me. I know if I was on the outside looking in, I'd be pissed and screaming for blood. I love these machines. Nothing makes me feel good like dicking around on a ps/2. That is why I did what I did. These machines are the reason I constantly spend my grocery money on computer parts and I end up eating hotdogs and ramen.

As a consolation, I will be recording the unboxing and I will be getting both machines fully operational. At the moment I have no intentions of selling anything I got. So if you have any concerns about seeing these machines gutted and flipped on ebay, rest assured, its not happening. However, due to the nature of these machines and scarcity of parts, I would be willing to make a trade or two after I've gotten both machines operational. My goal is not to hoard these parts. I don't need 2 sound cards, so in all likelihood I would be offering one for trade. Because my 95 'needs' a Roland mpu card, and 8x 32mb simms to be "complete", and I intend to work to that end.

So in conclusion, please don't take this out on Peter nor the gentleman from craigslist. There is no need to egg their houses or anything, this was all my doing. If there is something I can do to smooth things out, let me know in private. I will do my best to un-ruffle feathers and make as many people happy as possible.

I don't get the reason for all the drama. PetreNC seems to sell a few PS/2 machines on ebay, found some cheap to flip, canceled the ebay auctions and sold them to you for $$$$. The only guy loosing out was the original owner selling them cheap.

I'm trying to head off drama at the pass before it snowballs out of control. If people know the story they don't need to fabricate their own. I think its called "getting out in front of the story".

And for the record, that's not exactly how is happened. Although the end result is the same. I thought I was clear when I said I was working with the gentleman from craigslist, not Peter.

You mentioned a third machine and I figured that was returned to the Craigslist guy. Did you buy 3 machines then or what?

I got 2, (90 & 95) he isn't ready to let go of a 2nd 95 yet, but I hope he lets me know first.

I’m not upset with anyone, but I definitely was a little skeptical that they were both “damaged and recycled”.

I’m actually happy to hear that is not the case!

Back