• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm ps/2 9595

ButINeededThatName

Experienced Member
So, seeing as a lot of you on here seem to like this model of PS/2 as much as I do, I thought I'd share my model 95!

I've had this system since my sophmore year of high school when I saved it from what would have been a tragic end at the local recycling center. It was orignaly the school's network, mail and file server, at one point was hooked up to a few external SCSI enclosures and was networked up to the various Model 90s that each classroom had (just the teachers) for internal mail and pulling assignments up to be printed in-classroom and handed out. Sadly with the exception of this system, all of the school's other IBM gear ended up at the afformentioned recycling center years beforehand when they downgraded to Pentium III Gateway machines, and later continued the spiral down to Celeron equipped Dell Optiplexes with barely enough memory to run Windows. I've never once regretted saving this system, even when I had to carry it up four flights of stairs, and seeing the insane prices people ask for them now has only made me cling to it even more.

Anyways, with that little tid-bit of background information down, let's get to the fun part!

20181222_213956.jpg

My particular system is a 9595-0QT that has had a 90Mhz Pentium complex and four 32Mb ECC SIMMs installed! It also has a QIC drive and caddy-loading CD-ROM drive, as well as most of the SCSI hard drives I had lying around installed into it. On a side note, my display is looking a little blue. Maybe I should try and cheer it up with some adjusting :rofl:.

20181222_215416.jpg

Taking a look inside, you'll see the typical devices as well as my selection of expansion cards. From top to bottom you have:

-The later revision "Spock" SCSI controller upgraded to 2Mb of cache, the latter which I may or may not have "borrowed" from my Model 30
-An XGA-2 Adapter with fully populated cache
-A Madge 16/4 Smart Ringnode Token Ring Adapter
-An IBM Ethernet Adapter
-A 5.25" Diskette Drive Controller for when I need to use my external 360k drive to write disks for my IBM XT

All in all I consider myself to be extremely lucky to have such a nice system.

They truly are beautiful machines. I cherish mine, and I am crazy about them. I've always admired the brutal aesthetics, A perfect blend of function and form. At least to my eyes.

...and seeing the insane prices people ask for them now has only made me cling to it more...

*looks around nervously*

In an area that I once worked in, we used model 95's as NetWare servers. It was a wonderful combination of reliable hardware and reliable software.

They truly are beautiful machines. I cherish mine, and I am crazy about them. I've always admired the brutal aesthetics, A perfect blend of function and form. At least to my eyes.

I agree. One of the many reasons I enjoy collecting vintage business class systems is their aesthetics, especially the later RS/6000 systems like the Jxx models and SGI systems like the Crimson and Onyx as they have a perfect blend of rugged utilitarian design with a sprinkle of "sleekness", and the PS/2 line is in a very close second with their large power switches and angular drive bezels. You just don't see styling like that anymore. Everything now seems to be modeled after either some version of a Dell Optiplex, a crushed jelly-bean someone found in their pocket or looks like it's about ready to transform into a robot of some kind.

Looks like you have one of the higher end Model 95. Full banks of RAM too.
Very nice!

It was! It originaly came with 8x8Mb SIMMs and the 66Mhz Pentium complex along with the XGA card, "Spock" SCSI controller with the factory cache SIMMs and the Madge TR adapter. I'm hoping to find three more 32Mb SIMMs (currently have five) and a Roland MPU for it. High hopes, I know, but I can dream.

In an area that I once worked in, we used model 95's as NetWare servers. It was a wonderful combination of reliable hardware and reliable software.

That's interesting! Where were these machines used? I'd be using mine as a NetWare server if my RS/6000 7013 wasn't already filling that role.

I'm hoping to find three more 32Mb SIMMs (currently have five) and a Roland MPU for it. High hopes, I know, but I can dream.

rQUWBks.gif

Very cool! Love the 95, and would really love to have one someday. The Model 80 will always be my favorite though.

Back