• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Troubleshooting Three PS/2 Model 95s

ButINeededThatName

Experienced Member
So this is going to be a sort of "part 1.5" that will purely be about troubleshooting three of the four PS/2 Model 95s I picked up from Ohio about two weeks ago now that they have been cleaned and reassembled. They're all having their own issues and I figured it may be better and less confusing to outline each system's issue on a seperate thread and see if any of you have some pointers or helpful advice while I go about trying to get these systems to clear POST.

Starting with the 9595A; This one orginaly just powered on with only fan spin, however after re-seating the complex card the hard drive also now spins up and it immediately hangs at CP07, which according to the CP code list over at mcmafia.de is "Enable Base Memory". I re-seated all of the SIMMs (even though that's extended memory I thought it might help) as well as the complex card a second time with no change in behaviour. On a side note, I have an Action Media II adapter installed and I'm attempting to use it as the primary display adapter. While I didn't read anything explicitly saying you can't do this, I'm still unsure if it can be used in this way.

Moving onto the 8595; This one powered up without issue and displays a blinking cursor, but hangs at CP80, which is "Start of IML Process. SCSI POST". The hard drive is insanely loud in this system so I'm wondering if it failed. I plan on swapping drives and seeing if that changes anything.

Finally the 9585; It powers on and the fans spin up (including the one on the processor) and an orange light on the motherboard comes on, but that's it. Even stranger is once this system is on, it stays on, at least until you pull the power cord out of the back. From how it's behaving I'm thinking it's either a processor or power supply failure.

Anyways, that's where I'm currently at with each system. I'm going to continue to see if I can't figure some of these problems out. In the meantime, if any of you have any idea, tips or pointers they would be greatly appreciated!

Starting with the 9595A; This one orginaly just powered on with only fan spin, however after re-seating the complex card the hard drive also now spins up and it immediately hangs at CP07, which according to the CP code list over at mcmafia.de is "Enable Base Memory". I re-seated all of the SIMMs (even though that's extended memory I thought it might help) as well as the complex card a second time with no change in behaviour. On a side note, I have an Action Media II adapter installed and I'm attempting to use it as the primary display adapter. While I didn't read anything explicitly saying you can't do this, I'm still unsure if it can be used in this way.

Moving onto the 8595; This one powered up without issue and displays a blinking cursor, but hangs at CP80, which is "Start of IML Process. SCSI POST". The hard drive is insanely loud in this system so I'm wondering if it failed. I plan on swapping drives and seeing if that changes anything.

Finally the 9585; It powers on and the fans spin up (including the one on the processor) and an orange light on the motherboard comes on, but that's it. Even stranger is once this system is on, it stays on, at least until you pull the power cord out of the back. From how it's behaving I'm thinking it's either a processor or power supply failure.

Anyways, that's where I'm currently at with each system. I'm going to continue to see if I can't figure some of these problems out. In the meantime, if any of you have any idea, tips or pointers they would be greatly appreciated!

95A - AM2 is an odd duck, especially if the system configuration is hosed. Put a Base Video card in Slot 5 (XGA, XGA-2, short 512K VGA), pull the AM2 for now.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/video/actionmedia.html the AM2 is an AVE card, which means it takes Base Video over the Video Extension (AVE) -OR- it uses the three port cable as an input. The enable base memory -MAY- refer to the AM2 needing a memory range in configuration. The AM2 page has Chulofiasco's experience.

8595 - I'd highly suspect the SCSI HD, or termination, or cable orientation, or SCSI ID (ID6, right?). Usually, if the system cannot find the SCSI HD with the IML (system partition), you would get an I99900xx error, and the system would stop. That is the M complex, right?

Lastly, the 85 is an uncommon beast, as it shares some 95A features. There is something tapping at my brain about using a normal on-off, or some sorta on, belated off, which I never use... It might be the previous owner was playing around too much with the on-off switch. Think of the Russian hacker in "Golden Eye" playing around with that pen while trying to regain control of the satellite....

Last edited:
One further possibility with the 8595. While the M had the enhanced complex BIOS from the start, I don't remember the SCSI card you had with it.

If it was the late, three can Spock, you should have the 44/45 SCSI BIOS, which works WITH the M's complex enhanced BIOS. BUT if the HD was formatted with a downlevel (older) Spock, it may not be compatible with the M until it is LLF'd..

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/ibm_scsi.html
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/config/iml.html
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/scsi_layout.html

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/config/quick_system.html#Adv_Diags

85 - check PSU

85 - check PSU

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/9595/9595_Power.html#Checking_Voltages

Might be the power switch on the op panel is toast. SIMMple to replace. You can czech the PSU directly for proper operation by shorting pins 1-2 on the PSU socket, it should power up -AND- stop...

"Power On Features
The power supply in Server 95 has a power-on/standby mode. In the standby mode, the system can be power-on by either of three methods: the power switch...

Note From the standby mode, the power switch must be pressed twice to turn the power off. When first pressed, the switch places the power supply in the power-on mode. Wait about 5 seconds, then press the switch again to place the system in the standby mode. "

In this case, I assume repeated pressing of the power switch does not turn it off, which suggests a possible power switch problem on the op panel PCB. Oh, the 95A op panel PCB is fully compatible with the 9585, -BUT- there is no support for the LED, like on the 95s... I have tried it, system powers on, power good and HD access work, but the LED stays dark...

I had a very similar, if not the exact same issue with my 9585-N...

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/9595/Op_Panel.html#Replacement

Replacement Power Switch
If you can, unsolder the other switch on op panels with two switches. Same type of switch. I used a GC 35-491 (Push On DPDT Power Pushbutton Switch) and it fit perfectly. Pull off the round button and pop the original rectangular button on. Fits perfectly. I had a 9585 that would not turn off reliably. You could push the switch up to five (or more!) times before it would turn off. I tried slowly wiggling the switch and the 85 would come up...

Holy wow! You've definitely provided a lot of fantastic info! Sorry about the late reply by the way, I've spent this last week re-capping the power supply for my PC Server 500 so I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on these systems, although I did get the 8595 to get past CP80 after setting the drive ID and termination (forgot I had to do that last part). Anyways, it's now running PC-DOS, so that's one down, two to go.

As for 9595A, looking at the page for the AMII, you may be right about needing a base video card installed in the system, I'll pop one in and see how that works out. If that doesn't solve it, what else should I look in to?

Likewise that is also some great information on the 9585! That one had me stumped, as I've never had a system that behaved like that before, so I'll definitely look into the supposed standby setting and as well as swap a working operator panel into it and see if that gets me anywhere. Other than the standby mode though, I'm not sure how a bad power switch would keep the system from POSTing since it does power on seemingly fine.

I also have another question for you; Where might one find replacement 95A RAID cages and trays? My 95A had them stripped out and I can't really considre it "restored" until I have the proper drive cages installed into it again.

Likewise, where might one hope to find PS/2 displays that aren't the $200 8513s that pop up on ebay? I thought about making a post here, but they don't seen like the type thing people hang on to.

Been updating the 85/95 common devices, mostly the op panels and op panel bezels.
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/9595/95_Common_Devices.html#No_Shutter_Over_Power_Switch

I suspect the 85-K/N might share the 95A abilities, but it depends on the PSU... I was guessing on the standby mode, but the power switch was probably how I got that system....

RAID cages are very scarce. Someone in Canada sent me two or so cages and frames.

You probably do not want to buy the last 3 pack RAID cage with wide cables from me. You can just hook SCSI drives up sans cages. Unless you are real hard up for something to do late at night with no beer in the fridge, try setting the SCSI IDs on each drive, and properly terminate them, the RAID controller will never know... http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/RAID/ibm_raid_bay.html#RAID_wo_Bays

Most of the 851x monitors weigh a lot, and aren't that good. Some 95xx monitors that are good. LCD monitors take up a lot less depth and weigh a quarter of the CRTs. HP 1910 are a good 1,024x768 model, but YMMD...

Back