Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Toshiba T1900C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm fighting a failed S-100 system at the moment just because a single electrolytic capacitor in the power supply had one of it's leads break free from the circuit board. The net result was that the diode bridge output of pulsing DC took out the voltage regulator and the 5vdc output went to 24vdc and smoked the floppy drives and other circuits.

You need to put new main regulator cap's in NOW and hope you haven't done more damage to the Toshiba. Removing a single bypass cap (like your tantalum) is not the same as pulling the main cap's in the power supply. For quite a few years a large number of TV's and other electronic devices were FUBAR just because the cap's in the power supply failed to regulate the output power. Replacing the cap's often returned the equipment back into operation. They can not be left out.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Comment

That's hard to believe, unless the cap played some other part than a simple filter cap. I have no doubt that the 120Hz unfiltered PSU output made the system act up, but I can't see how it would blow out a voltage regulator or floppy drive.
      Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Any update for this?

When all the caps are desoldered, clean the board off with isopropyl alcohol to remove any electrolytic fluid that may have leaked from failing capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
          That's hard to believe, unless the cap played some other part than a simple filter cap. I have no doubt that the 120Hz unfiltered PSU output made the system act up, but I can't see how it would blow out a voltage regulator or floppy drive.

But I don't wish to steal this thread, just commenting that things go FUBAR when main filter caps aren't installed. However, pwr. supply designer cheaped out, IMHO, and used one winding output transformer to supply +24 and +5 v circuits. Also no solid mechanical mount for the main filter cap. Main filter cap lifted free from the board. The +5vdc circuit using a 723 IC with 2N3055 driver trans went to full unregulated ~30volt and believe me the magic smoke came out of the floppy drive.

Comment

Originally posted by DankEngihn View Post
            Any update for this?

When all the caps are desoldered, clean the board off with isopropyl alcohol to remove any electrolytic fluid that may have leaked from failing capacitors.

Thanks for asking, DankEngihn!

I got back home today and wanted to check this again.
            I found five fuses, that were all ok. Which is kind of bummer, it would have been
            easier fix (but of course, if fuses were busted, something else probably would have been too...).

I pulled suitable caps from old atx psu. Replaced the 1000uF cap and the two blue 220uF caps
            from used spares, since I got no new ones to try with. I then tried to boot, but the DC IN led blinking
            was the same as before.

I measured RTC battery, it was now 2,91V when no charging and 3,25V while charging.
            The power button has 4,77V on one leg (when pressed down zero volts). I believe power button
            is working as it should.

I got up 3am today and drove some 200 miles to my working town. It's now about 8pm
            here and I think I need to continue this tomorrow. Fighting against fatigue while trying to fix
            things might just make me mess things up more.

edit:
            granted, that I may well have done some damage to the unit myself by trying it without these caps.
            But I've been thinking about others who have fixed t1900c laptop with faulty capacitor(s).
            They reported, that the machine actually turned on for second or two, and then immediately shut down.
            This unit is just dead - apart from the DC IN led blinking.

This has made me think, that there may also be something else wrong with the unit and not the caps after all.
            CPU ? rams ? I guess a number of things could go bad and make the unit just have black screen.

Comment

I'm suspecting that it's the power supply.

Try to get your hands on an OEM Toshiba 19v power supply.

EDIT: the picture you posted showing both of the boards looks odd. On the power board, between the"Toshiba" chip and the "flash" chip looks suspicious.
              Last edited by DankEngihn; January 13, 2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Good early morning!

10.jpg

I think that suspicious area between toshiba and flash chips was due to light reflection.
                There is a black stamp there, I posted a better picture of that area.

About the power supply - if it was the cause, why would the 12V to the battery leads
                give the exact same symptoms ? I did try the 12V again now that all caps are in place, but
                there is no change.

Comment

Don't know if the blink codes in this old thread match what you are seeing, but take a look: https://www.technibble.com/forums/th...tebooks.19067/

Plus there's this one: https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads...coding.274084/

Plus there's this one: https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads...coding.274084/

I think a Google search might turn up more.

Comment

Thank you DeltaDon for the links.
                    I don't exactly see the same symptoms. I see long - dot - dot - dot and then pause.
                    That is curious, it would make 8 hex.

even if it is long - dot - dot - dot - long - dot - dot - dot (to make 8 digits), 10001000 -> it would become 88 hex.
                    Am I thinking it the wrong way ? is it 00010001 binary -> 11hex ? or 01hex if it is only 4 digit code.

But I think there is long wait after every 4 digits, therefore it seems to me it is only 4 digit long code.

In the T1900C maintenance manual there is one 08h code:
                    08h HDC overrun (DRQ)

But I don't have HD installed. The code applies to HDD test program in the diagnostics disc, so it is not the right code here.

I'm thinking to buy better multimeter. Would this be useful/reliable to check ESR from electrolytic capacitors ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Mul...fe96b1acc5458c

Not a bad price for multimeter, if it allows me to check capacitor failures.
                    Drawback is to wait easily 6 to 8 weeks before it would arrive from order.

Comment

manual.jpg

Heh, when all else fails, replace the lower system board. if that fails, replace the upper one .
                      If only it was that easy to come up with working replacements. The maintenance manual was obviously
                      meant for service technicians to make warranty repairs. They did not have to worry about replacing
                      capacitors or faulty chips on boards.

Comment

Thought I would comment on this thread.
                        I too am fighting to revive a T1900C.

Issues that I have found so far:
                        1) several large electrolytics on the FATSL1 (PSU) board were really bad/ leaky. Replaced.
                        2) one trace was damaged from the leaked acid
                        3) several (most) of the small surface mount electrolytics were also bad/leaky. 10uF/6.3V and 33uF/6.3V. Replaced.

I now have a PUS board that puts out +5V, +3.3V on all the right places, and the system seems to try to start. The rails come up, the drive spins up, the CAPS and NUMLOCK LEDs flash, ... then nothing.
                        The LCD never comes on, and I think that the machine is not surviving POST. So, I never get anything on the screen, no beeps nothing.

I've been doing all sorts of little debugs here and there but without a schematic, it's hard. Also, I know nothing of the history of this computer... maybe it died for deeper reasons than the PSU.

It's always a challenge taking a machine that is known dead for unknown reasons.
                        I think I probably have a good drive out of it however.

If anyone has any comments on what to check if all the power rails are up, but the machine never "boots", please chime in! I know there could be a million reasons though.

to the OP - what happened with your boards?

Comment

Originally posted by Twospruces View Post
                          Thought I would comment on this thread.
                          I too am fighting to revive a T1900C.

to the OP - what happened with your boards?

Hi there, and happy new year!

I had to give this one up. I ended up buying an ESR meter, but could not find the culprit from the psu.
                          I also found 19V power source, but it too failed to bring life to this unit. I still have the laptop - board and
                          everything in pieces in a box. It's been almost a year since I fiddled with this, I probably could not remember
                          how to put the puzzle back together.

Later, I ended up buying defective Toshiba T4500C. It too had failed psu, but with that unit I got lucky
                          and was able to repair it. Reason was defective electrolytic cap. Made a video of repairing that unit
                          to youtube her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlGaYucskGQ

Comment

I might be interested in the parts; I got to a dead end and eventually damaged the board a bit. Set it aside. Without a schematic it is a real struggle to repair!

Comment

Working...
                            X