• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Professional Workstation - 82596 Packet Driver

sergey

Veteran Member
Hi,

I have a couple of Intel Professional Workstation (i486) systems that have an onboard 82596 Ethernet controller.
I am wondering if a packet driver exists for this machine?

Potentially I can take the Intel EtherExpress(tm) PRO LAN Adapter packet driver (eep10pkt_1102), which supposedly uses the same Ethernet controller, but connected through a PLX9036 PCI bridge, and hack it. But before doing so, I wanted to make sure that such a driver does not exist yet.

Thanks,
Sergey

Oh well, I looked around and haven't found the driver...
So I hacked the Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI driver to work on this machine.

Both Intel Professional Workstation and Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI use Intel i82596 NIC. But in case of the PCI card there's also PLX PCI 9036 bridge. My hacking mostly involved removing the PCI code and replacing it with the Intel Professional Workstation specific I/O code. The NIC code is still the same.

The driver with the source code is attached for everyone's enjoyment

Attachments

• LP486PKT.ZIP
    52 KB · Views: 1
Hi Sergey, do you mind ellaborating a little bit more about what changes have you done and how to repeat these if the board is mapped differently? I might be trying to run this on an old custom board that has one of these, and I might need to change some parameters.
Thank you!

Hello to all in this Forum.

I'm new in this forum and I hope that someone can help for my special wish.
The reason is: I've taken my Intel-based Professional Workstation - [Panther] - year 1992 ( ? with a LP486E motherboard ? ) from the attic.
I'm sure, it is the same as in the Youtube videos - "An Intel Branded EISA-Based 486 Desktop Computer? (Part 1 to Part 3 - e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK7QMAX0BmQ)".
Because this PC was not used about 20 years the Dallas DS1287 RTC chip was empty. So, all BIOS-/LAN- and EISA-settings were lost.
I've replaced the DS1287 now by a DS12887 and I also replaced the original hard drive (she was unfunctional) with a CONNER CFS-210A 210MB 3.5 SL IDE AT with an already installed Windows95 OSR2.
In the Phoenix SETUP Utility (Version 1.00.xx S0D) [ = nearly the same as the BIOS in YouTube video] I entered the corresponding hard drive CHS parameters and the workstation starts without any problems and Windows 95 is loaded.
This workstation-model has no CDROM-Drive, no USB nor other installed cards beside two unused EISA-Slots.
Beside the hard disk, she has a floppy drive and in addition to their standard connections, an "on board LAN-Controller".
I do'nt know the specifications for this LAN/Ethernet-Controller. Is it 3com or Intel or Novell or Realtek or something other? I don't know but it's necessary to make the LAN-Controller known in the system and then establish a network connection to the Internet via LAN.
The problem is, that I don't know the specs which mainboard, which LAN-Controller is installed in the PC and which settings in the system control panels or in the EISA Configuration Utility are necessary!
So I used a EISA Configuration Utility 2.00 (downloaded from the URL https://archive.org/details/remaker_gmail_CF) to enable onboard LAN-Controller and also in the BIOS I enabled onboard LAN-Controller.
Then I tried the network option for INTEL here "82595-based-Ethernet" (which is one of many others, such as 3com, Novell, Realtek etc.) and some others, but after the restarts the PC hangs with the Windows 95 screen or loops or displays errors.
Therefore I would like to ask all, if someone in this forum could help, how to set up an Internet connection via Ethernet/LAN.

Note:
I have neither floppy disks for an "EISA Configuration Utility (ECU)" nor for Windows 95.
As ECU, I downloaded the “LP486E Drivers DOS OS / 2 Windows” from the URL https://archive.org/details/remaker_gmail_CF and installed this ECU on the workstation.

Has someone of you a workstation like my?
What could be the brand of my motherboard and which onboard LAN Controller could it be?
My System shows as network-option for INTEL e.g. "82595-based-Ethernet" which is one of many others (e.g. 3com, Novell, Realtek,etc.).
What's needed for LAN activation & connection to Internet and wich settings and steps are to do?
Has anybody used a harddisk greater than 504MB (e.g. 160GB) with such a workstation?

Kindly regards
Robert (not the youngest)

P.S.
A picture of this PC can also be seen at
https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102677995.

Only the following information can be found in my workstation / PC or on the mainboard:
on mainboard - Made in Ireland - PBA 519570-002 - AA 519571-002 - S / N K75522196
ROM BIOS COPYRIGHT 1985-91
PHOENIX TECHNOLOGIES LRD
in housing - INTEL P / N 517667-006 034167 - INTEL S

Hallo Alex,

first thanks for your quick response.

But, how to make a new topic?
When I click "New Topics" below the tab "Forums" I get only a "Search Results"-list.

Robert

Chicco,

I just realized how confusing that button can be! Sorry about that.

Here is the correct button:

vcforum - new topic button

Does that help?

Thanks!
- Alex

Back