• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway 2000 486dx2-66 help

JimLahey

Does anyone know what motherboard this is? I recently acquired a "Gateway 2000 486dx2-66" system with a overdrive processor installed. I am looking to downgrade and slow the processor down with a slower dx or dx2.

I can't find any info on the internet regarding this desktop. I am looking for jumper settings . Possible even documentation.

I tried attaching image but it's says exceeds file size. Here is a link to Dropbox folder imaged.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j7nvz54bqjczi0b/AAA4v6Ozu27Prq4VPqcke3Ooa?dl=0

The motherboard has 1 single 32 bit pci slot in the middle and 3 memory slots between processor (socket 3) and front of case.

Thanks for the help!

Doesn't the sticker on the 5.25" cage contain the jumper settings you need?

The pictures you supplied of the motherboard do not show any part numbers that can help in identifying your board.

Update: I just zoomed in on the sticker. It does indeed show you the jumper settings for the various CPU configurations.

I'm an idiot. That picture with jumper configuration is a generic one that I found of a motherboard similar to mine.

I deleted that off Dropbox. The tag that I know of on my mother board is "MBDPCI004REWW"

I'll check to see if I can find anything more on it when I get home tonight. Take a few more pics.

Thanks.

I've updated some more images.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h3u0d4wb17wc7bk/AAA66U5APFUUHAlEUjWXwSYJa?dl=0

Do I need to have a specific processor in mind and then have people comment on jumper configuration?

From my previous post there are images of jumpers: some say sx, dx, ovrdrv etc. Some say 1x, 2x, 2.5x. Some say 3.3v, 5v. And then some say numbers like 30, 55 etc. Another is nonsl, boot blk.

I don't know what does what?

Voltage
Multiplier
Speed
Class

Where should I start to set up a slower desktop.

How to I get a turbo button installed?

Does the overdrive have a turbo/slo configuration/hockey combo?

Thanks

Here's a link that you may find of interest: https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2018/11/06/gateway-2000-4dx2-66v-desktop/

I'm a little curious as to why you want to downgrade your processor. You may be able to achieve similar results by disabling the 486 internal cache. There is an app that will let you turn the cache 'on/off' - may take a Google search to find it. I have it somewhere but would have to dig it out.

I'm a little curious as to why you want to downgrade your processor.
Probably because the CPU that is installed now is a Pentium overdrive and he want to go back to a 486.

The POD runs at 5V and normally 33 MHz bus speed (so you get 83 MHz). You can just install a DX-33 or the 5V version of the DX2-66 without having to change jumpers. Note however that the DX2-66 also exist as a 3.3V variant, which is also more common.

Probably because the CPU that is installed now is a Pentium overdrive and he want to go back to a 486.

The POD runs at 5V and normally 33 MHz bus speed (so you get 83 MHz). You can just install a DX-33 or the 5V version of the DX2-66 without having to change jumpers. Note however that the DX2-66 also exist as a 3.3V variant, which is also more common.

Understand but I think he wanted to remove the POD. AFAIK there are no apps that affect the Pentium cache as with the 486.

What are your intentions for this machine? If it's for vintage gaming, a DX2-66 is the way to go. It was the start of a golden age in PC gaming when the clock doubled 486 was released. I was using an AMD DX2-80 back then.

I am using for dos gaming. Even with a 486sx 25, the speed is too fast.

Check this Wing Commander video out. I runs Ultima 7 too fast too.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hww5t7d0778nhow/AAAUQmDS4b7b9GTwGQcwwvara?dl=0

Another member suggested disabling cache in bios. I think this is what they were talking about in my images?

This mother board has multiplier jumper for cpu 2x, 2.5x, 3x, nothing for just 1x. I have read somewhere that all 486 setups can be setup to run a 8mhz. Is this true? Any way to disable a turbo? Did my gateway 2000 4dx2-66 not have a turbo feature?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Yes, those BIOS options are for enabling/disabling external L2 cache. It doesn't look like you can disable the internal L1 cache though, which is more important. Without L1 cache, the CPU will get a LOT slower than without L2 cache.

And no, not all 486 motherboards support an 8 MHz speed. In fact, almost all of them don't. That's a weird feature probably designed for backwards compatibility on some obscure motherboard.

Back