• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

3xStart for FAT32 for IBM PC DOS v7.1? (No IO.SYS to modify, has IBM versions)

Bear415

Greetings.

I'm trying to run Windows for Workgroups 3.11 in VirtualBox with a copy of IBM PC DOS 2000, upgraded to the 7.1 version with files from the latest IBM ServerGuide Scripting Toolkit, which date to December 2003.

Much like MS-DOS 7.1 from Win 9x, I get an error that says "Cannot find or load required file KRNL386.EXE." and others, all of which point to needing the same type of patch.

How can I use or modify 3xStart to accept IBM PC DOS and not MS-DOS?

On a lark, I tried to copy and rename the IBM DOS kernel files (IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM) to IO.SYS to see if 3xStart would accept them, which did not work.

I'm not familiar with 3xStart, it looks like some sort of hack to get Windows 3.x to run on Fat32 partitions?

Is there any reason for wanting to run IBM DOS over MS-DOS besides FAT32 support?

I'm not familiar with 3xStart, it looks like some sort of hack to get Windows 3.x to run on Fat32 partitions?

Is there any reason for wanting to run IBM DOS over MS-DOS besides FAT32 support?

Yes, that is what 3xStart does.

I don't want to get deep into reasons. All I want to say is that I have my reasons for the VM to be based specifically on this version of IBM PC DOS.

Back