Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Data General Nova 2/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data General Nova 2/10

Recently I have been debugging and fixing a Nova 2/10 I found in a barn.

It has the following boards:
    • CPU
    • 16 K core
    • 8 K core
    • Cassette I/O
    Here is a short log of what I have done so far.
    • Cleaned out several decades worth of accumulated dust, spider webs, dead insects and other debris.
    • Fixed the +15V rail in the power supply.
    • Fixed the leaking filter capacitor issue which kept tripping the RCD.
    • Replaced the broken AC3 examine/deposit switch.
    • Replaced two of the broken console (front-panel) lights. I could only find 2 of the miniature lights locally but have more on order from both the US and China.
    • Debugged an apparent problem on the console board and proved to myself that it is not the culprit. The problem is with the AC0-AC3 deposit switches where switch settings don’t take (i.e. a deposit behaves like an examine).
    • After studying the CPU board schematics I gained a reasonable understanding of the processing for the ACx deposit machinery and finally traced the problem to a faulty "Console ROM 0" which does not assert the /1WEN when needed. I am not sure what the exact failure mode of this bipolar PROM is. It may be that the fuse "healed" or that the associated open-collector driver transistor has died.
    A tiny 2 word program incrementing AC0 runs successfully.

Best regards
    Tom Hunter

I have since replaced the faulty "Console ROM 0" so ACx deposits work perfectly.

The TTY subsystem on the "Cassette I/O" board works perfectly after replacing a faulty N8H90 hex inverter shown as U113 in the schematics which is U109 on the actual PCB. I found it by tracing the SET_TTI_DONE signal from pin 19 of U40 (the LSI UART) following the tracks to locate the hex inverter. I replaced the faulty part with a socketed SN74F04 which is pin and speed compatible with the Signetics N8H90.

I have added the "Program Load" option to the CPU board so that the "Program Load" switch loads and runs a bootstrap program (found in the schematics from Bitsavers).

The 8 K core has a dead short between the +15V (VINHR) and GND and also between +5v and GND. There are a bunch of electrolytic and tantalom caps which might be causing this. To find the shorting compoent I am thinking of precision Ohm-meter or maybe applying current limited +15 V and then watch it with a thermal camera. Of course I have neither of these gadgets, but maybe there is a much simpler method I have not thought of.

Any thoughts on how to find the short(s) short of unsoldering components starting with capacitors?

Thanks
    Tom

Comment

Very cool
      Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
      Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
      "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

I forgot to mention in my earlier message that I have replaced all the front panel lights with "#2176 Miniature Bulb Wire Terminal Base" I bought from "Bulb Town". The originals were failing and also the old wire terminals have become very fragile. Some broke just looking at it.

In the past two days I have replaced a faulty address bus driver (SN75453) so that /MAB3 is now fully functional and there is no longer the nasty wrap-around of addresses 010000 (octal) and above.

I replaced a faulty Signetic N8H90 with a functionally identical SN7404 hex inverted where one of the inverters was bad causing the TTY Input done flag to not be set when a character was received from the TTY.

I also replaced a faulty SN7474 which impmented the busy/done flags for TTY Output.

Finally now all the diagnostics I have access to (and know how to run) work and pleasingly even BASIC runs perfectly.

The last job will be the nasty dead short on the 8 K core board and maybe a cleanup of the "Cassette I/O" board badly butchered by a previous owner.

Best regards
        Tom
        Last edited by thunter0512; November 16, 2021, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Here is a photo of the Nova 2/10 successfully running the mother of all DG Nova diagnostics: the Nova Multiprogramming Reliability Test (MORT).

IMG_20211117_202859860.jpg

Comment

MORT, as a name for a diagnostic program, is perfect !
            Current fleet
            TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225 Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx - Osborne 1 - ACT Sirius 1

Comment

Where did you get your copy of Basic from? been looking for that for years for my systems.

Comment

Working...
              X