• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5110 Model 3

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
Looks like I'll be picking up an IBM 5110 Model 3 tomorrow for a pretty decent price. What I want to know is what exactly I can do with it. It's working and a good enough price I don't want to pass it up, but it seems pretty limited in its capabilities and not very compatible with the XT and AT computers I'm more used to, so I'm not sure how useful it will be for me.

Well for starters you cannot compare it to any PC product because it is in no way compatible so of you were planning to stroll along with DOS you're at the end of that road already.
Your standard programming options are BASIC or APL. For software.....I got no clue. My pay bracket typically doesn't enable me to even look up what software was available besides the basics for inventory and accounting applications.
Please be careful with these units. A few have been stripped for their keyboards.

In that case I think I'm going to clean it up and check out under the hood for a little bit and then it'll most likely be for sale.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to ship something like this, but I just picked it up and 105 lbs really didn't feel as heavy as I expected, and it's not that much bigger than say, a Windows 98 tower with its CRT monitor next to it. I know it probably doesn't have a huge fam base but I'd let it go for a good price because I got a good deal on it. Will be posting pictures soon

Always found this line to be kind of an interesting historical curio. Was there ever a direct machine-language facility for the PALM processor, or was it strictly APL/BASIC?

Always found this line to be kind of an interesting historical curio. Was there ever a direct machine-language facility for the PALM processor, or was it strictly APL/BASIC?

Appendix D of the Maintenance Manual covers the underlying microcode (about as close to machine code as possible) and IIRC there is a method of going into diagnostic mode to enter microcode programs. Documentation on how to build a microcode program for regular operation is lacking.

Hello,
can anyone tell what the average price is for buying today an IBM 5110 Model 3?
research in the internet did not helped me to find out about the price...
thanks

Hi, i need some guidance to repair this machine, powerup and boot with screen diagnostic, any clue ?

Attachments

• photo61551.jpg
    photo61551.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1
Back