• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM System\23 5322 Repair

kubba

Hello!

Recently, I obtained an IBM 5322. I knew it did not function properly before I got it, but I wanted one anyway. I also found some service manuals online, so that helps me out, too.

I've been poking around at it, and there are rust spots inside of the chassis and other places. The main board is in great condition with no corrosion. The computer powers on and one of the FDDs spins up, so something is working properly. However, there is no image on the screen (but there is a glow in the back of the CRT), and I don't think the computer is carrying out any diagnostics because I don't hear a beep like I have heard in some videos. For now, I'm going to avoid working with the CRT, and I'd like to focus on testing the main board. I plan on starting with the PSU and checking its fuses and DC voltage outputs, then moving on to the main board (which is in good condition) to check it as well. In the meantime, I thought I would ask a few questions for people familiar with this computer or similar things:

1) If my CRT unit is bad, would a CGA or composite monitor be a feasible substitute so I can get a picture?
2) Does the main board wait for a signal from the CRT's board before it does diagnostics? There is a sentence in the service manual that seems to imply this.
3) What is the normal power on procedure for your 5322?
4) Got any general advice for what I should be doing to fix this thing? (Not my first rodeo, but if you have any advice on electrical safety, that counts too)

Thanks a ton for reading!

Back