Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Data General Nova 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data General Nova 1200

dgnova.jpg

I finally joined the minicomputer club with a Data General Nova 1200, populated with a CPU board, 4x 8KW core memory boards (for a full 32KW on board), and a CompuScan OEM I/O board.
    20190722_153549.jpg

The guts of the front panel exposed, showing C&K switches and fancy incandescent bulbs.
    bare panel logic.jpg

It's a beautiful machine. I've spent a little time inspecting it, and I'm slowing going through it to clean up the general funk that has built up.
    20190722_232821.jpg

The chassis without the top cover:
    20190722_232828.jpg

A closeup of the CPU board:
    cpu board.jpg

So, here's my rough game plan for this machine:
    • Cleaning out the general dust and grime
    • Inspecting things like wires, capacitors, resistors for damage
    • Doing a simple test of the power supply by bringing it up slowly with a variac to reform the caps. No boards or front panel will be installed at that time, just dummy load bulbs on the various power rails. Don't want to blow up anything.
    • Repairing a damaged socket on the I/O board
    • Power on test of each of the boards (counting the front panel as a board) individually

After that? I'm not entirely sure where to go. This will be a learning experience, and it will mostly likely take a long time. Not only will I be juggling it with other projects, I don't want to rush in and do anything stupid that would damage this piece of history. That being said, I look forward to toggling on that front panel.
    Current projects: The Cactus 6502 front panel homebrew computer , repairing a DG Nova 1200 (it works!), upgrading an OSI Challenger 4P, fixing a Hero 1 robot, monkeying with VIC-20s, reverse-engineering a Decitek paper tape reader/punch, among other things...

Very very nice!

I've been trying to get a DG Nova for years.

Comment

Ooh, jealous
      Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
      Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
      "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

I have a couple videos up on YouTube on my Rolm 1602 that’s a military version of the Nova, how to enter stuff and the like. Take a look at:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvUpfUj7pzA
        Lot of good Nova stuff out there like the basic debugger. The Holy Grail for me is getting the paper tape version of Nova Basic, been working on that for over five years now but not much progress. Was told that when you bought a Nova the paper tape version of Basic came with it.
        Good Luck.
        Qbus

Comment

Nice! Was this from that typesetting business? I got a Nova clone and a TTY from that guy. Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the IO board, so I'll have to find one... somewhere.
          Current favorites: IBM 5160 (EGA+Hercules+PGC, 8 floppy drives, XT-IDE), DCC D-116 (Nova 1200 clone), ASR 33 Teletype, PDP-8/I (lots of issues, restoration underway)
          Wishlist: IBM 5161 (expansion chassis), Diablo 31/RK02/RK05 or equivalent, Data General equipment, and the meaning of life.

Comment

Anything DG-related, my source is Bruce Ray at Wild Hare Computer Systems. I haven't heard from him in a couple of months, so I hope he's still around.

http://www.wild-hare.com/
            Last edited by Chuck(G); July 28, 2019, 09:59 AM.
            Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevets01 View Post
              Nice! Was this from that typesetting business? I got a Nova clone and a TTY from that guy. Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the IO board, so I'll have to find one... somewhere.
              Yep, I went and picked up what was left. There were spares for some of the Computer Automation stuff, maybe we can dig you up an I/O board.
              Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                Yep, I went and picked up what was left. There were spares for some of the Computer Automation stuff, maybe we can dig you up an I/O board.
                Typesetting + Computer Automation is probably the "Naked Mini", used in the Linotron 202 phototypesetter.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
                  Typesetting + Computer Automation is probably the "Naked Mini", used in the Linotron 202 phototypesetter.
                  Some of those 202s, yeah, and others. Seems CA and DG stuff was super popular in typesetting, this is not the first DG Nova stuff I've come across from typesetters!
                  Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                    Some of those 202s, yeah, and others. Seems CA and DG stuff was super popular in typesetting, this is not the first DG Nova stuff I've come across from typesetters!
                    I worked at Expertype NY / Computer Composition International (the former was a type shop that had the first 202 in NYC and one of the first overall and the latter was a DG Nova-based company that sold the system that Expertype and others used).

Trivia you might find interesting - the first 202s had a dumb design decision (many, actually, but this was the most annoying one) where if it didn't like the commands sent to it, it would act like a mule and start kicking (either locking up and refusing to do anything, or spewing loads and loads of roll film with gibberish on it - one of my favorites hung on my office wall and said - in a number of fonts - "Font le oops"). The only way to know what happened was to open the front door and look at the 16 error LEDs on one of the cards. I designed a remote display using a Radio Shack clock project case and 4 of the HP 5082 self-decoding hexadecimal displays, connected via a cable to the aformentioned logic board. If you find one that has white wire-wrap-style wires going to the LEDs on the board and coming out on a DB25 with a zinc chromate-yellow metal shell, that's one of mine. I saw a lot more 202s with those displays than I ever built, so either someone was copying me and selling them, it was a "great minds think alike" thing, or Mergenthaler decided to add it themselves. These greatly increased productivity (and decreased the amount of spoiled film from opening the doors and jostling the film receiver cassette).

Also, if you've ever seen a transparent green plastic box a little taller than a business card, with a business card from Jack Powers and a TTS paper tape with a demo of what CCI could do for owners of a 202, that was me as well. IIRC, we sent out a copy of the "ANPA Fonts" diskette with it so everyone would have a copy of the necessary fonts - font licenses were originally keyed to individual machines and later extended to all machines at a customer, but the ANPA Fonts were the original demo fonts and were not machine-locked.

Later on I went on to found a company, Pro-Comp, that sold front-ends to the Nova so customers could do input and editing on a much less expensive system. Our typical offering was a multi-user system with 4 Ann Arbor Ambassador terminals running MP/M and Wordstar. It had a dedicated interface to the Nova that looked like another tape reader for fast transfers. Fisher Composition was one of our first customers and their entry operators said they liked it much more than the official custom ADM-2 terminal. Some of the books entered on my system were "The Islamic Bomb" (Weissman/Krosny, 1981); "License Renewed" (Gardner, 1981) and "2010:Odyssey Two" (Clarke, 1982). These were all "first US edition" books for major publishers. Note that despite the afterword in 2010 stating that it was "transmitted electronically directly to the printer" it went to the publisher who printed it out on dot-matrix paper and marked up the copy. Fisher got the sheets of copy and it was re-keyed on one of my systems at Fisher's Arkville, NY location.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevets01 View Post
                      Nevets01, this is all very exciting to me. So, what caused you to ask if it was from a typesetting business, and might have come from a phototypesetter?

I've only recently come to learn about DG Novas in these things...There's a nice DG Nova in this Singer Photomix 8400, which is now part of my collection:
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Htb...ew?usp=sharing

Notice no front face control panel in this one. Was yours (or Commodore Z's) extracted from such a machine? And if so, how did it come with such a beautiful front face?

And I'm curious, has anyone else preserved one or more of these [gargantuan and VERY heavy!!!] phototypesetter machines in their entirety, as opposed stripping out the DG Nova and scrapping the rest?
                      Last edited by firebirdta84; November 14, 2020, 10:48 PM. Reason: add specificity

Comment

Originally posted by Qbus View Post
                        ...The Holy Grail for me is getting the paper tape version of Nova Basic, been working on that for over five years now but not much progress. Was told that when you bought a Nova the paper tape version of Basic came with it.
                        Qbus
                        Qbus, I assume that you're looking for a vintage 50-year-old tape with Nova Basic on it. But in the meantime, what would you think about Nova Basic being punched new/today on a paper tape for you?

I don't think that I have the capability to do this yet, but if it would be meaningful to you, I'll keep it in mind with my Nova restoration and build project list for the next year or so...

Best,
                        AJ

Comment

That would be great, in the playroom I have facilities for reading, punching or copying paper tape. So just about any source will work within reason. Also have facilities for reading, writing and editing ROMS so I am just about state of the art for 1970
                          Paper tape has a unique advantage being it can with care last forever, floppy drives are fairly durable but beyond a point the drives themselves are getting harder to find. A lot of the old first generation MFM and IDE hard drives are still around and work but that’s just the ones that were for some reason put aside and never left on for years on end and somehow the old disk packs in things like the RL and RK drives chug on, can’t say as much for a lot of the modern stuff.
                          But paper tape is so simple, no media to decompose or magnetic elements to weaken or special heads to read can see that lasting forever. The only limitation is it’s not practical for large files.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdta84 View Post
                            Nevets01, this is all very exciting to me. So, what caused you to ask if it was from a typesetting business, and might have come from a phototypesetter?

I've only recently come to learn about DG Novas in these things...There's a nice DG Nova in this Singer Photomix 8400, which is now part of my collection:
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Htb...ew?usp=sharing

Notice no front face control panel in this one. Was yours (or Commodore Z's) extracted from such a machine? And if so, how did it come with such a beautiful front face?

And I'm curious, has anyone else preserved one or more of these [gargantuan and VERY heavy!!!] phototypesetter machines in their entirety, as opposed stripping out the DG Nova and scrapping the rest?
                            So I follow up on a lead from this very forum about a typesetter's warehouse that had closed down, and the owner was trying to sell some of the contents.
                            When I got there, there were two DG Novae, and a Digital Computer Controls D-116. I ended up with the D-116, since he wanted a great deal more than I could afford for the 'genuine' Novae, as well as an ASR-33 teletype and some other odds and ends.
                            As it turns out, just a couple days after I left, Glitch came and bought the entire contents of the warehouse (and believe me, it was a LOT) for a large sum of money. And Z bought his Nova off of him. The fact that he posted about a fairly obscure computer shortly after three of them had sold led me to (correctly) suspect that they had come from the same source.
                            All three machines were freestanding, not in a rack or any other enclosure, when I got there. If they had been extracted, I have no way of knowing for sure or for certain.
                            Now on to speculation.
                            If you look closely at the I/O board that Z got with his Nova, you may notice a rather snazzy logo for a company called "CompuScan". A large nameplate from the same company is present on my Teletype. A couple hours of googling led me to the conclusion that CompuScan was a company what developed early OCR systems.
                            Speculation: Z's Nova (and my Teletype, attached to it) was attached to some form of early OCR scanner at some point in its life.
                            I can't say whether it was still there or not, I only had a few hours to look around, and I was considerably less savvy at that point. You would probably want to ask Glitch. If anyone has/had it, it would likely be him.
                            Current favorites: IBM 5160 (EGA+Hercules+PGC, 8 floppy drives, XT-IDE), DCC D-116 (Nova 1200 clone), ASR 33 Teletype, PDP-8/I (lots of issues, restoration underway)
                            Wishlist: IBM 5161 (expansion chassis), Diablo 31/RK02/RK05 or equivalent, Data General equipment, and the meaning of life.

Comment

So far, all my work with Rolm Military system lets me assume that they are basically repackaged Data General NOVA systems. The instruction set is the same, devices like paper tape readers and terminals are all the same addresses and instruction set and so on. The issue is now on the latest Rolm system that I just picked up has a Real Time Clock card, anyone have any idea what the address was that they used for the RTC option? Or how it was set? It has no battery so going to assume that once you turned on the system you loaded a current date and time and went on from there. Would also be a question if it keeps the date along with the time if its Y2K compliant? Not that it matters being I just want to use the clock function.

Comment

Working...
                              X