• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bought a Multiprise 3000 and I have a few questions.

cptnapalm

Saved from going to a scrap yard and, after having its SBC clock battery replaced, it boots up fine. Curiously, the time defaulted to January 3, 2014; I wonder if that was when the battery died and it stored it in the onboard flash. There are neither disks nor their carriers: the state sanitizes things with hammers. So it'll be emulated storage, if I can get that far (SE software for one).

I dusted much of it off, but to clean it more properly I need to unscrew those socket screws. I can't make out what kind of screw head they are; if you know what the appropriate tool for that is, I'd appreciate it.

How much of the hardware (Camel card excluded) can be pulled and/or replaced (assuming there are OS/2 drivers for the replacements)? Could the SBC PICMG 1.0 card be replaced with another one? Under no foreseeable circumstances will the parallel channel, ESCON or SSA cards ever be useful to me.

While I was able to find the Service Guide Supplement (SY246162), the Service Guide (SY24-6155-02) itself, is the one manual I've searched for to no avail. If anyone has a PDF, I would be grateful for it.

Thank you.

The Rhode Island Computer Museum has an Integrated Server 3006 which is very similar to the Multiprise 3000. We could use any I/O cards that you don't plan to use.

g4ugm: Thank you so much! All that documentation is certain to prove very helpful. I had some of it, but certainly not all of it, the service guide especially. If it's a PCI system and there is a LOAD of room (these cards are all pretty damn long), one might fit. I'm so new to all this, I don't even know what one would attach to the parallel channel and ESCON cards aside from expansion chassis, which I could have gotten for no extra cost, but I had no way of moving them and there wasn't much left in them.

m_thompson: If I can get the system element software and tell what I can pull out, I'll be happy to send some cards along to the museum. The restoration posts made for the Integrated Server informed me that the SBC would likely need a new battery and what exact battery would be needed; that was very helpful. The IS's SBC is a Trenton 92-005600-0X. I was lucky to find the Technical Reference for the Trenton 5721 board the MP3000 has. Happily, the boards are very nearly identical and used exactly the same battery.

The MP3000 uses a different I/O bus for the channel cards than the P390 or 3006 IS.

The Integrated Server has a PCI P/390 card from what I've read. With regards to the parallel and ESCON cards, I had erroneously assumed that, using the exact same backplane, the cards would be interchangeable. That's a shame.

Back