• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Univac Control Panel?

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
Just won an auction for this control panel last night, it was cheap and looked really cool so I couldn't say no. Anyone know what it might be? There were a few other lots of Sperry-Univac stuff so I was thinking it might be for one of their mainframes or minicomputers but I really have no idea

IMG_20201214_133334.jpg

It has lights for 20 address lines, clearly you need to make an ISA blinkenlights card to drive it. The 36 data bits are a bit excessive...

Yes, I was thinking it was an 1100 front panel. 36 bits is the norm for those systems. We had an 1100 system at my old workplace. The panel was rarely used, only for the engineers. Usual input was from Uniscope terminals.

So, in the end, it will just sit there and look cool.

I also won this awesome Sperry-Univac briefcase that I'm really excited about. I think it's going to become my portable repair kit but I have to collect some period tools first.

IMG_20201214_134607.jpg

I have a Sperry Univac XT out in storage, just a simple PC with basic 16-bit ISA bus, 360K and 10 meg HD.
The best thing about it is the Sperry Univac Name tag.

I have a Sperry Univac XT out in storage, just a simple PC with basic 16-bit ISA bus, 360K and 10 meg HD.
The best thing about it is the Sperry Univac Name tag.

Yeah, I'd love to find one of those. There was also a lot in this auction with Sperry branded monitors, presumaby for those XT machines but the shipping would have been outrageous or else I would have bought them

We had some Sperry pcs at work too. There's a rocker switch on the front for the power. I think they had DOS 3.3. Nothing special about them.

I remember someone typed in format c: and it said press any key to begin format. They didn't know how to get out of it so they called me over, and I used that rocker switch to turn it off. Ctrl+C might have worked, but nobody wanted to take that chance.

We had some Sperry pcs at work too. There's a rocker switch on the front for the power. I think they had DOS 3.3. Nothing special about them.

I remember someone typed in format c: and it said press any key to begin format. They didn't know how to get out of it so they called me over, and I used that rocker switch to turn it off. Ctrl+C might have worked, but nobody wanted to take that chance.

Reminds me of when i did a Dir of a directory then did del *.* forgetting that i was still in the groups modification document folder and deleted all the records of plant modifications !

Thank god for undelete :)

Reminds me of when i did a Dir of a directory then did del *.* forgetting that i was still in the groups modification document folder and deleted all the records of plant modifications !

Thank god for undelete :)
Many, many years ago our New York City computer club had a demonstration of voice recognition by an IBM team. Someone at the back of the room stood up and yelled "format C colon"!

Back