• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm bus & tag

I mean, it would make for a great conversational piece but where the heck did you find 100 foot cables in this decade??

I mean, it would make for a great conversational piece but where the heck did you find 100 foot cables in this decade??

New...unused but stored 20 years.

Given to me by a fortune 5 company [that makes a short list].

If not I think I will use them to make a suspended foot bridge over stream.

Had them stored in a couple of Storagetek silos they gave me.

Boone

Had them stored in a couple of Storagetek silos they gave me.

Ah the STK silos. When I was at NCAR we had 5 of them, all interconnected with pass through ports. They were part of the Mass Storage Server, a multi-terabyte tape archive with T9840 and T9940 tape drives. That archive grew to multi-petabyte size with the silo follow on SL8500 linear tape libraries libraries and T10000 tape drives. I always liked the silos better, those grabber arms flying around in the circular path looked a bit more dangerous than the robots of the SL8500.

Ah the STK silos. When I was at NCAR we had 5 of them, all interconnected with pass through ports. They were part of the Mass Storage Server, a multi-terabyte tape archive with T9840 and T9940 tape drives. That archive grew to multi-petabyte size with the silo follow on SL8500 linear tape libraries libraries and T10000 tape drives. I always liked the silos better, those grabber arms flying around in the circular path looked a bit more dangerous than the robots of the SL8500.

Once upon a time I was a field engineer at StorageTek. :)

It feels like half the guys I work with were at StorageTek at some point. I think the Sun and then Oracle takeovers caused a lot of changes to their field organizations.

Our site had 40 silos with pass thru ports maxed out connected to a SYSPLEX containing 22 LPARs. I have several motors that run arm you mentioned and we were told they have torque some corvette engines have (I dont know who at STK figured this out).

Been thinking of making mine into wind generators.

Does anyone need some 100ft bus & tag cables?
That's pretty close to the limit, which was 200 feet for byte/block/selector channels. Each control unit had an "equivalent length" which had to be added to the actual length. Some control units were surprisingly "long" - it wasn't actual length of wiring inside the control unit, but propagation delay. These longer cables were useful in connection a computer room to multiple "peripheral rooms", but in larger 370 configurations this started to cause serious issues when designing a physical layout that also met the maximum length requirements. Switching to fiber (either native on the processor or as extenders) helped a lot.

I recall that there was an RPQ for longer length cabele support for customers with the need. I once saw a disk storage room that was ginormous - think of the warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but with 3340 disk strings instead of crates.

I don't know about the cables themselves, but 360 and 370 terminators had different part numbers and using the 360 ones caused problems in some 370/43xx configurations. My memory is fuzzy, but it might have only affected stuff connected via Integrated <Mumble> Adapters and not "real" channels.

The 370 terms have a passthrough and aren't terminated for certain lines which allow for chaining as far as I know. 360 terms didn't have this so you would get problems if you try to mix them.

Back