• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Willem/Ardunio EPROM programmer

fsword007

Folks,

I am looking for new Willem or Arduino EPROM programmer to program MCS48 (8049/8041) microcontrollers. I found some Willem EPROM programmer on eBay but it wants DB25 parallel port and my all computers do not have LPT ports (USB ports only). Is that possible to use USB parallel adapter to access Willem EPROM programmer?

Also I found Arduino EPROM programmer elsewhere but it only provides schematics, etc to make home-brew MCS-48 adapter for Arduino boards. Does anyone know where are assembled MCS48 adapter for Arduino?

I have a few old devices that I need to make dumps for emulation development.

Thanks,
Tim

How about TL866II EPROM programmer or CQ-X4 EPROM programmer? Both provide USB access for modern computers that do not have parallel port.

I am only asking about USB DB25 adapter (USB to DB25 adapter) that have bi-directional data transfers. Will it work with KEE's LPT PCB EPROM programmer?

The Minipro-TL866 does not support the 8041/8049 according to the supported devices list, and neither does the the CQ-X4.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/rom/misc...rogrammers.htm
states "Requires that your computer have a parallel port. Some people have thought, "I have no parallel port, and so I will buy a USB-to-parallel
adapter
", not knowing that such adapters are unsuitable - they are designed for parallel printers only."

If your Laptop has a Mini PCI Express slot you could try one of those adapters.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27434417834...SABEgIfUPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/adapter-paral.../dp/B078B7RKF4

If your Laptop has a PCMCIA Slot you can get a PCMCIA to Parallel Port from Newegg.com for less than $20.00

Larry

Last edited:
fsword007,
How many are you planning on programming/reading? if you just have a few to program, perhaps someone could do a couple for you
versus buying the extra boards etc.

Larry

I know for a fact form my own experiments the Willem requires an MCS-48 adapter. They exist and they show up on ebay for around $30usd which is one of the more expensive adapter boards the Willem has available.
The Willem is really a device designed for 9x to XP. The design is quite old and most people now only keep one around because they work excellent with older IC's...like the MCS-48 line.

You might want to look at http://www.mattmillman.com/projects...8-8749-8741-8742-8048-8049-programmer-reader/
I haven't built this (yet) but I have built up the Matt's 1702A and 2708 programmers and they are very slick with a polished interface. I do have some spare PC boards for his MCS-48 programmer.

If you just need a few read and don't mind covering shipping I can easily read them for you, PM me if that would be useful.

- Gary

You might want to look at http://www.mattmillman.com/projects...8-8749-8741-8742-8048-8049-programmer-reader/
I haven't built this (yet) but I have built up the Matt's 1702A and 2708 programmers and they are very slick with a polished interface. I do have some spare PC boards for his MCS-48 programmer.

If you just need a few read and don't mind covering shipping I can easily read them for you, PM me if that would be useful.

- Gary

I also have a set of pcbs for it on order at jlbpcb, and never used any of Matt's programmers.
Could you elaborate a little on the actual process of writing the firmware to arduino mega ?
I gather that you cannot just load it like a normal "sketch" and his instructions's rather vague.
Much appreciated.

I also have a set of pcbs for it on order at jlbpcb, and never used any of Matt's programmers.
Could you elaborate a little on the actual process of writing the firmware to arduino mega ?
I gather that you cannot just load it like a normal "sketch" and his instructions's rather vague.
Much appreciated.

Actually the programming is done with avrdude. You'll need an appropriate programmer and cable.

avrdude is well documented, but not all that intuitive. It took me a few tries to get it to work.

The command will depend on your programmer, and the port it is connected to, but this is my batch file...

cd E:\Vintage Computer\2708 Arduino Shield\
E:
avrdude -p m2560 -c stk500v2 -P COM15 -b 115200 -D -p atmega2560 -U flash:w:hveprom.hex:i
pause

Actually the programming is done with avrdude. You'll need an appropriate programmer and cable.

avrdude is well documented, but not all that intuitive. It took me a few tries to get it to work.

The command will depend on your programmer, and the port it is connected to, but this is my batch file...

cd E:\Vintage Computer\2708 Arduino Shield\
E:
avrdude -p m2560 -c stk500v2 -P COM15 -b 115200 -D -p atmega2560 -U flash:w:hveprom.hex:i
pause

Guess I should be able to program it in atmel studio using avr dragon that i bought years ago and hardly used?

I couldn't make avrdude work, I've tried and tried it wouldn't work with my avr-dragon programmer.
So I programmed my "mega" in what they call now "Microchip Studio", that worked fine.
Now just waiting for the pcb's to show up.

Attachments

• hv-eprom.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 2
Finished product, it actually read 8748 chip that neither Topmax nor Wellon VP-480 could.
Quite happy with the device.:D:D

ifn2thg.jpg

Back