• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unable to find info on Old computer CREI 680

Abuadam97

I would greatly appreciate any help identifying a computer with inscription CREI 680 and has a sticker F0A5. I looked inside and I see 2 motherboards. The top one, I can ready Motorola Memory System. Looks that it can connect to VHF TV to play game or watch TV. The pictures will be able to show more that what I can put in writing. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo61249.jpg
    photo61249.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo61250.jpg
    photo61250.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 5
  • photo61252.jpg
    photo61252.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo61253.jpg
    photo61253.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo61254.jpg
    photo61254.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 5
Very nice machine. There had been a very similar (unbuilt) kit on eBay a few years back, branded as a "McGraw-Hill NRI Microcomputer".

The monitor ROM would let one use the buttons and LEDs on the front to inspect and enter binary programs. I believe that part could be used without the video board. It also had a small BASIC interpreter ROM and could save/load programs using audio cassette tape. Those used an 8-bit 6800 series CPU. I think the knobs connected to an ADC that could be read in by a program. When new, these would have come with a HUGE stack of manuals including much on electronic/CPU theory. As far as I know those have never been archived anywhere (sorry, I don't have those manuals).

Thanks a lot for all the information. One more thing, what would be the value of this training microcomputer. The one that sold as an unassembled kit sold for $499 a couple years ago.

I have attached a dump of the monitor, basic, and chargen ROMs below.

As for price, prices on kit type items are hard to nail down, and I don't recall ever seeing any others besides that unassembled one on eBay. That is in decent enough condition I would expect at minimum a couple hundred from eBeh these days. But it very likely could go for much more than that. Some kits can sell for ridiculous prices. Not sure if it would match an unassembled kit, but someone might prefer an assembled one. If you are not in a hurry, just start a high buy it-now and slowly relist working your way down. It seems unique enough that a bid auction might not be too risky. (So my wild-ass-guess would be perhaps $200-$400, but I think you should do more research).

One suggestion, that looks like it might be a bit customized. If you can, it would help to get photos of the guts inside it. A buyer would want to see that all required chips are present, boards are in good condition, and if anything too odd has been added. (also, what is the deal with that red tape on the keyboard? Broken keys?)

Attachments

• crei680roms.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 1
Historically, the price for this would be the price of enrollment in the CREI computer electronics course, as it was part of the course material. Less valuable if you don't also have the course material.

Back