• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can someone Identify this Wang?

schatzi

Hi, I recently bought two Wang computer terminals.
One has no picture, and the other gives me "ERR 8277 BOARD 00 33 33 12 0000" when I turn it on. I'd check some documentation but unfortunately I don't know what these exactly are and my searches have been bringing up nothing. The rear end says Wang Model 4220 on the base and PM-004-B on the monitor. Theres some dip switches on the back that are also mysterious and also require what I hope are not unobtanium docs.

TL;DR What is this computer, please tell me or link me to all you know about it.
Thank you!

signal-2021-06-24-190626.jpeg

I found three 4220 workstations listed. I assume that yours is a 4220-VS. It should have two different COAX connectors on the back that connect to a Wang VS minicomputer.
4220R Bisynchronous Remote Workstation
4220RP Okidata Workstation
4220-VS Remote DP Workstation

I appreciate the info, thanks!
Luckily these don't actually have COAX on the back but two DB25 connections labeled Main T.C. (Terminal connection?) and Aux T.C. (Which I'm guessing is just pass through so one can mirror its state on the other, or maybe connect to two machines and multiplex between them?) so my hope is that they're actually ANSI instead of some Wang PC specific protocol so I can connect them to my linux machine and use them for my job when I get one or both working.
They're pretty stylish, but I'll admit I don't know what some of the keyboard keys do, like one that's labelled "GL"

They could be RS422 with Wang-specific protocol. The only real way to tell is to buzz the connectors out and see what levels are present on what pins. Even if RS232C, the problem is that they could be block-oriented. What makes me suspicious is that they're part of the 4200 series workstation line.

Definitely time to tinker.

Back