• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CTOS Emulator Project? (Convergent Technologies NGEN)

firebirdta84

Experienced Member
My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember back in the 2014-2016 era that Al Kossow was collaborating with some original Convergent/Unisys folks on building an emulator for CTOS that runs on all modern OS, and had actually gotten it working. But my Google and vcfed.org searches turn up results that are anything but this...

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or correct my memory here?

Thanks everyone!

Best always,
AJ

Last edited:
Scott Baker discusses using the VirtualBox emulator on his page.

For what it's worth, I use 4mm silicone vacuum hose to replace the rubber on quarter-inch-cartridge drives. Easy and works fine as the hose is quite round. Somewhere years ago, I posted a photo of one such replacement on an Archive SCSI QIC drive. Apparently Tygon tubing works well also.

Also, see Al K's post on PU belts available on Amazon for QIC-300-sized cartridges. I recovered a number of Magnus QIC cartridges recently using them with a Tandberg SLR5 drive.

Last edited:
Thanks, Chuck...I appreciate the pointer to Scott Baker's page, I missed that the first time I read and watched his work on the NGEN last year.

Regarding your paragraphs about QIC cartridges, your thoughts are ALWAYS welcome to me, as I've quoted you a good dozen or so times in my work on these cartridges, as well as on my website http://qicreader.com (redirect). I've always viewed you, Al, and many others as sage authorities on these techniques.
But I'm curious...what prompted your comments on QIC reader & cartridge reading/rehab this in this thread?

Best always,
AJ

Scroll down Scott's page, starting with "Your vintage QIC drive’s roller has turned into black goo". In succeeding paragraphs, he mentions some things that, in my opinion, require some updating. Bottom line is that if you have a bunch of old QIC tapes and an older QIC drive, you'll likely run into the issues he mentions.

Thanks, Chuck(G). While I have no influence on Scott Baker's page regarding this topic, I certainly can update mine with your new information, which I have done, and thank you again!

http://qicreader.blogspot.com/p/rubber-wheel-decay.html

Now, back to the CTOS Emulator project topic...@Al Kossow, I got a notification that you replied to this thread, but when I clicked on it, I received a message that I had to be an administrator in order to read it. Now you really have me on the edge of my seat!

Did you intend to reply, and the reply is somehow hidden from me on this?

Thanks again for all you do, both of you.

Best always,
AJ

Back