• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BBC master

Gary C

Veteran Member
Does anyone have the circuit diagrams for the BBC master 128 PSU's ?

I have asked at stardot but the silence is deafening !

I have one thats died in a RIFA explosion so I think its taken out something on the way out and its a pain to trace by hand.

Yeah, had two masters fry, but only one take out the PSU. I have decided to get proactive on BBC PSU's as everyone in the Museums collection has RIFA's either already burnt or near too. Did just consider removing them but, hey they are cheap as chips.

I can get most components from RS with on a business account.

It was interesting to note on stardot that someone mentioned resistor failure, I noted this because the symptom was one of the big caps held a charge and I certainly know that this PSU has a high voltage on it after disconnection ! (ouch).

I think I should trace it out, got a few to fix and it looks as if someone should do it.

OK Gary, I know when I looked at RS for components I had fun finding some. I know one of the other BBC kits came with a FIX Disk which might have a CCT on but I am in Qatar not Manchester at present so can't easily check:-(

OK Gary, I know when I looked at RS for components I had fun finding some. I know one of the other BBC kits came with a FIX Disk which might have a CCT on but I am in Qatar not Manchester at present so can't easily check:-(

Cheers

If you do find one, let me know :)

Enjoy the sun, been a few years since I was in Qatar.

It was interesting to note on stardot that someone mentioned resistor failure

They may have been referring to resistors in the startup chain. Usually, the control section of a running SMPSU actually runs on an auxiliary output of the SMPSU itself, which raises the question: How can the control circuit ever start if it runs on the output from the SMPSU?

The answer is that at switch-on the control circuit is given a brief 'pulse' of power derived from the high voltage DC on the mains side of the SMPSU - this typically consists of a chain of several high value resistors to drop the voltage down from the +350VDC at the top end to the control circuit power feed at the bottom end which is held at a low voltage (6V or 12V, say) by a zener diode. There may also be a high voltage low value electrolytic capacitor which allows this temporary supply current to flow for only as long as the capacitor takes to charge up, during which time the SMPSU should start running and generating the main supply for the control circuit to keep running on.

Things which can go wrong with this arrangement:-

-One of the high value resistors goes open circuit, even though the voltage drop is intentionally spread evenly across two or more similar high value resistors in series so that each resistor bears an equal share of the burden. Even so, they still sometimes fail open circuit.
-The capacitor dries up and goes high impedance or open circuit.

In either of these cases the symptom is the same, the PSU will run for ever for as long as the mains stays on but the next time the power is cycled off and then on again it will fail to start. A typical tell tale for the open-circuit resistor or open circuit capacitor fault is that the main high voltage capacitor remains charged for a very long time after the power is removed, the reason being that the control circuit never starts and therefore never turns on the output switching transistor so no current is drawn from the charged capacitor. The +350V charge just sits there on the capacitors indefinitely.

It is also possible for the zener to fail short-circuit but if it does it will cause immediate failure of a running SMPSU by depriving the control circuit of power.

Note that these observations are not specific to the BBC Master PSU but are broadly applicable to many SMPUS.

Well, changed the resistor that had failed, R2 and its sorted.

Still, odd there is no circuit diagram.

Back