• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AMD Slot A

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I have been looking over my vast collection of PC systems and decided to grab the few things I never had before they are gone to the scrapper or cost too much to bother with. A while ago I snagged a Dual P2 440GX system and recently I won an AMD Slot A board.

There are tons of AMD SS7 boards and Socketed Athlon/Duron systems around but very few Slot A (that competed with Intel's Slot 1).

Anyone else have much experience with them?

Yeah, I have a slot A motherboard that I use for a test jig. Snappy little sucker and very versatile. I don't have the specs on it at the moment because I'm in my den it the board is upstairs in one of my home workshops.

I still have a bunch of Slot-A Athlons in some storage bins, but I think all my boards are toasted. I liked Slot-A, actually. Very easy to install and no accidentally bent pins. The boxed processors had decent cooling heatsinks/fans on them, but they were a bit wonky when it came to installing an aftermarket cooler with all those plastic shims and clamps. And they all had tiny fans on them that would seize up after a few months of use.

Last edited:
I have not heard mention of Slot A in a long time. It was my first real upgrade from the 233mmx to a 550. That was back when the 1ghz processors were still fetching a fair sum on ebay.
The motherboard I had though drove me crazy because it was my first introduction to the badcaps plague.

I actually have one that I'm playing with. I was lucky to find a "working" Abit KA7-100. When I say "working" I mean I had to replace all the caps before it would boot. I'm planning on using it with a 950mhz chip and a pair of voodoo 2's. I'd like to find a t-bird 1ghz chip but they seem to not exist. :p

I never found Slot A parts to be that common--they were almost completely flooded out by the Slot 1 Intel boards. Socket A, on the other hand, seems to be very common.

I've got a rig I use for win98 gaming that's a 600mhz Slot A -- built around a MSI 6191 motherboard. I like the 6191 because the on-board sound is actually listed as a Creative Soundblaster ES1373 -- and without running any drivers or whatnot it boots right into DOS working as a SB-16, all that's needed is a BLASTER= string.

Mated it up to my Voodoo 5 5500, though I've been tempted to drop it to the Voodoo 3 I have lying around because the 5 has some compatibility issues with early Glide stuff.

My slot 1 is an FIC SD-11 board with a T-bird 950 Mhz chip. This is the computer with a 5.25 floppy drive. I use it as a server for 64HDD and special audio projects as it has an Audigy live-drive.

Oh well, not going to get it since the seller is a prick and refunded my money.

If your in the market, I think a working spare board. from what I remember it worked, and had no frills... I wouldn't have kept it if it was bad. let me get it out of its box and give it a test. I *JUST* received THREE K7-1ghz chips from ebay for $30. ^.^

If your in the market, I think a working spare board. from what I remember it worked, and had no frills... I wouldn't have kept it if it was bad. let me get it out of its box and give it a test. I *JUST* received THREE K7-1ghz chips from ebay for $30. ^.^

Seen a seller selling those CPU's for $10 each on ebay, do they have heatsinks?

Well finally got a slot-A motherboard with what looks like a K7-800 on it (built in firewire but no USB, odd), should get around to testing it with weekend.

Back