• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Build Your Computer using Logic & Memory, before the advent of microprocessor

That was a great video, really well put together. I particularly liked the way that you reviewed the historical background and use of the 74181.

For anyone interested the APOLLO181 site is also worth looking at for further background detail, schematics, etc.

Please leave here your comments if you wish. Thanks.
GG

Comments? Wow! Not only did your creation explore a really interesting (and unexplored) time in computer development, not only did you provide a lot of material to study it - you also provided me with two evenings of fun! Thank you, sir!

Oscar.

Wasn't there a similar project published in Kilobaud or Byte during the late 70s/early 80s?

The gap between the microprocess and IC deployment is actually quite small in terms of years. In the very late 1960s, there were a few systems still being produced with discrete (transistors, diodes, resistors, etc.) logic. Considering that the first microprocessors came out in 1971, that's a pretty narrow gap for an all-SSI processor. And the early ICs weren't TTL at all--CML, DCTL, DTL and even RTL preceded TTL ICs.

That's pretty amazing considering that the PB250 had fewer than 400 transistors, 22 bit words, 59 instructions and handled Flexowriter and Mag tape I/O. Bit-serial architecture and magnetostrictive delay line for just about everything (even the registers were magnetostrictive line) really cuts the active component count. This could well be the first commercial minicomputer, circa 1959.

Back