Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

50hz to 60hz using an Inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50hz to 60hz using an Inverter

I'm trying to do is run my dual 801 Shugart drives in New Zealand at 60hz.
    New Zealand power is typically 50hz, which means my drives spin at 300rpm as opposed to 360rpm. So I was thinking to do the following:

1) NZ Mains 220vac 50Hz into a 12vdc converter (a PC power supply will probably do for this)
    2) 12vdc into a '12vdc to 120vac' 60z inverter
    3) 120vac at 60z into the Shugart drives.

Is there any problems that could arise from doing this with vintage equipment?
    Also, does anyone have know approximately how may Watts a dual Shugart 801 setup will draw?

Just thought I'd ask before going ahead and purchasing an inverter, don't want to waste any money if this direction is problematic.

Cheers

Phil
    retro computing at: www.neoncluster.com ....is dead

The table on page 29 of the 'SA800/801 Diskette Storage Drive - Theory of Operation' manual indicates an allowance of 0.5 amps at 110 VAC (i.e. approx. 55 Watts)

Note that the frequency tolerance is tight.

Comment

Great!
      Thanks for the info.
      I just checked that out.
      +-0.5Hz...yes, that does seem tight!
      retro computing at: www.neoncluster.com ....is dead

Comment

I had the reverse problem with one of my drives. 220V 50Hz in the US 60Hz. The 220V was easy enough and came as a freebie with the linear PSU, whose primaries could be configured to supply 240V. Of course, the drive motor spun too fast. So I started digging around and located a small flanged timing belt pulley that fit the motor shaft perfectly (small allen-head setscrew) at my local surplus shop. It worked a treat. Now, this was 30 or so years ago and the 8" drive was brand-new and offered for a trice because of the 50Hz nameplate rating.

Nowadays, you could probably print a pulley of the right diameter or have one machined up for you if you know someone with a small lathe. The original pulley of course, is crowned, but a flanged one works just as well.

This would let you run the drive motor from a transformer and not worry about the frequency difference.

FWIW, the drive was a Qume DT/8. Great drives, those.
        Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

If you do go the inverter route, be aware that the cheap ones don't produce a true sine wave. They put out a "Modified" sine wave that some electronics don't tolerate very well. You'll need to spend some bucks to get one that makes a "True" sine wave.

Comment

> +-0.5Hz...yes, that does seem tight!

I remember servicing the early reel-reel audio tape machines had an AC motor with the large capacitor tied to the third winding. The AC frequency IS the rotational speed reference. There is no other speed servo
            so the tolerance is very tight.

Larry G

Comment

Those disks worked also at 220/240V/50hz, so I dont understand why using 50Hz at 110V could be a problem. Am I missing something ?

Comment

Originally posted by inakito View Post
                Those disks worked also at 220/240V/50hz, so I dont understand why using 50Hz at 110V could be a problem. Am I missing something ?
                I must be missing something in your question. Care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by retrogear View Post
                  > +-0.5Hz...yes, that does seem tight!

I remember servicing the early reel-reel audio tape machines had an AC motor with the large capacitor tied to the third winding. The AC frequency IS the rotational speed reference. There is no other speed servo
                  so the tolerance is very tight.

Larry G
                  A year or two ago, it was announced that the local (!) power company would no longer hold a tight tolerance on frequency. They said that dips in frequency would be compensated for in the future by surges in frequency so that synchronous clocks would keep time.

But, what does that do to disk drives, tape decks, and turntables?

Forget the oxygen-free cables, you need your own genset.
                  Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

It's been going on for a long time--the changes in frequency are very slight and long-term.

Consider that the average PLL data separator has a capture ratio of +/-10-20 percent and it doesn't matter in the case of reading or writing.

Comment

>It's been going on for a long time--the changes in frequency are very slight and long-term.

Yea and with audio tape the music would just go up or down half an octave

Comment

Originally posted by KC9UDX View Post
                        But, what does that do to disk drives, tape decks, and turntables?
                        Don't most modern (yes, modern) turntables use a crystal-stabilized drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                          Don't most modern (yes, modern) turntables use a crystal-stabilized drive?
                          Beats me. I saw the prices of those once, and that's the last I've seen of them.
                          Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

>Don't most modern (yes, modern) turntables use a crystal-stabilized drive?

Most later model turntables, tape decks actually used DC motors. Many of them the speed control was actually built into the motor and had a hole to insert a screwdriver and adjust.

PS - expensive "direct drive" turntables had speed control servos based on DC not AC and the speed tach reference was actually a physical pattern in the turntable itself.

Never saw the inside of the modern usb turntables

Larry G
                            Last edited by retrogear; October 21, 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nama View Post
                              I'm trying to do is run my dual 801 Shugart drives in New Zealand at 60hz.
                              New Zealand power is typically 50hz, which means my drives spin at 300rpm as opposed to 360rpm. So I was thinking to do the following:

1) NZ Mains 220vac 50Hz into a 12vdc converter (a PC power supply will probably do for this)
                              2) 12vdc into a '12vdc to 120vac' 60z inverter
                              3) 120vac at 60z into the Shugart drives.

Is there any problems that could arise from doing this with vintage equipment?
                              Also, does anyone have know approximately how may Watts a dual Shugart 801 setup will draw?

Just thought I'd ask before going ahead and purchasing an inverter, don't want to waste any money if this direction is problematic.

Cheers

Phil
                              Hi Phil,

your approach is reasonable, except most very modern pc power supplies are way to low a current capacity on the 12v output. maybe an 1 amp, as there is so little that uses 12Vdc. Biggest current O/P is 5vdc supplies, so you may not get the grunt you need.

Better of looking for a stabilized 12 battery charger, hook it to a 12v battery then use the output of battery to power your 12 to 110vac 60hz inverter.
                              The battery in middle will give you output stability if and when your NZ ac mains frequency fluctuates, or more correctly browns out.

My suggestion however is look at picking up a "dual conversion ups".

They do come up on ebay quite a lot.

Often with dead batteries.

The better ones have full sine wave output. If your good with electronics you can change the internal frequency reference to give the 60Hz output you need.

I converted one to give 240v 50hz in to 110V 60hz out. Removed the automatic bypass circuit.
                              left the battery in and that aided the stability of output during power line dips.

The other way is a make a small rotary HZ converter.
                              get a 240v 50hz synchronous motor connect it to small alternator via pully and belt with a bit of a flwheel in middle to take care of the mains frequency variations.

by choosing the pulley sizes correctly you can end up with the ratio you need for 50 to 60hz conversion.
                              And use toothed the pulley say from cars that you may find at wreckers.

I can even recall seeing this sort of Hz conversion setup done in a 3rd world country using a truck alternator, that had the rectifier section removed.
                              Gave 3 phase AC out.

so there are some options for you

regards
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X