• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

found old wooden apple comouter at work

srpska99

hey guys
I was at work the other day (I work at a skip bin yard) and we where emptying a skip bin and out comes out this black wooden box. at first I thought it was a cash register due to the fact it was shaped like a cash register but then I realised it was made out of wood and it also had computer keys then on the top it had written in red writing "apple computer". I don't have any pictures of the computer due to the fact the moment I saw it that it was picked up and sent to the crasher. anyways if anyone knows what this computer was please let me know thanks

Well, the only Apple computer that came without a plastic case was the original Apple computer which came in kit for and you had to come up with your own case (and possibly) keyboard.

If it was, it would have been worth a small fortune.

They go for 10s of thousands of dollars now-a-days and I hardly think even the most uneducated computer user would throw one way.

I generally only try to filter spam posts so I let this one go through, but when I first saw it I thought it was written to be a subtle trolling.

They go for 10s of thousands of dollars now-a-days and I hardly think even the most uneducated computer user would throw one way.

More like hundreds of thousands of dollars if not close to a million.

Could have also been an Apple II+ clone in a wood box... or the guy is a troll.

As I was reading the first post, I began chiding myself for being cynical and judgmental.

Having read the next four, I feel a lot better!:D

I think I saw this one, too. Except I clearly remember that it had a blue Dymo tag on the front that read S. JOBS.

493.jpg

This reminds me of the troll poster a while back that claimed to have randomly found a Twiggy Macintosh (around the time the original was getting press) and then claimed left and right they had absolutely no way to take a picture.

This time it is already thrown in the shredder. How convenient.

look guys I don't care if u guys believe me or not I just want to know what computer it was I cant find any images of it so if anyone has any pictures of a simmliar computer it would be greatly appreciated

Of course I realized that this post was highly unlikely and the only reason I replied to it at all was for informational purposes.

There could still be some legitimate Apple (I) computers out there and would your average person know what the thing in the wooden box was?

Last edited:
Well even this one http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...re-vintage-apple-1-computer-auction/28299275/ was never confirmed by an Apple-1 expert as far as I'm aware. It did give a giant amount of press to the recycler. No pictures here either, no-one pulled out a smart phone and took a picture of the board.

Just saying....

and the story in the link says the woman that dropped the computer off at the recycling center, was cleaning out her dead husbands Garage/workshop.

COME ON, really and fish fall from the sky on to my dinner plate !!!! :fishing:

From my experience most females (or male partners to be politically correct) that would go into a man's (females) shed/workshop, to clean it out, would have also gone in while he (she) was alive, and would had an active interest in their partners hobby, and got a reasonable idea of the value of some or many rarer items.

So I could NOT see her just taking this to the recycler !!!

If she was that dumb, she would have employed one of the many 'handyperson' house.shed.yard cleaners who's ads frequent the local paper, grocery store notice board, or gumtee etc.

I think I have done at least 60 shed clearing in my life for widows. They have enough trouble cleaning the husbands personal possessions from the house; and most could not cope with cleaning shed or or hobby room.

And of those maybe just maybe 2 of them I recall, asked about a specific item or couple of items that they had be told had real value. ie $1000
None has printed lists or photo list with estimated value of the important items, their deceased spouse owned. Says something about marriage ???

Last edited:
Things must be different down under. I don't find that situation unusual at all. My wife takes no interest in most of what I have, but would have no trouble hauling it all to St. Vincent de Paul.

Back