Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Tektronix 4051 / 4052 / 4052A / 4054 / 4054A Program Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GanjaTron View Post
    Hi Monty,

many thanks for uploading all these goodies. Having painstakingly restored my 4052 over what felt like aeons, I'm only now actually _using_ it and uploading some of your tapedumps via the Option 1 serial comms interface. Having mucked about mostly with the hardware, I'm still very much a novice in handling the 4052, and it admittedly feels awkward (for instance, I still don't "get" the line editing, if there even is one). RTFM, I guess...

I bashed together a *NIX script that delimits each BASIC line with the ROPEN/RCLOSE (DC2/DC4) ctrl character sequences expected by the comms interface's DTRECV routine, and I get stuff written to tape, although as DATA rather than PROG according to TLIST. Note that I have to remove any control characters in your tape dumps beforehand -- I use an sed script for that. I also upload with 4800 baud and wait ~0.1 sec between records to avoid buffer overruns on the 4052. Most of the uploads ran, though those for the 4051 failed as expected, particularly when CALL "EXEC" was involved.

I tried your revised lunar lander last night, and was surprised to get an I/O ERROR on the READ statement in line 5965. As I understand, READ's input "device" defaults to the DATA statement (@34?), so I dunno what's going on there. Any ideas? I'm using the v5.1 firmware, btw -- the only working chipset I have, infact.

Thanks again for archiving this material for the very few working 4050's still around (as you surmised, about a dozen would be my guess too).

--Roland
    Hi Roland!

Please give the Realterm program a try. I set up Realterm for 4800 7E2 with Xon/Xoff protocol.

On Dave Robert's new 4052 with v5.1 ROMs, I had no issue loading programs directly into memory with all the control characters. Then it is easy to save to tape.

CALL "RATE",4800,2,0
    CALL "TSTRIN","","",""
    CALL "RSTRIN","","",""
    CALL "CMFLAG",3

Then to load a program in memory from serial:

OLD@40:

SEND the file from Realterm, the Xon/Xoff works without any additional delays
    When Realterm is done with the SEND, press the BREAK key to stop the 4052 from looking for more data.

Program is ready to run or SAVE to tape.

I have uploaded a LANDER4050.BAS. Please try this one - when I save files without and extension or with TXT extension github adds linefeeds - which Tek BASIC (4051,4052 and 4054 all BARF).
    https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tek405x...LANDER4050.BAS

And try to load it with my Realterm instructions above.

Monty

Comment

Originally posted by nikola-wan View Post
      Hi Roland!

Please give the Realterm program a try. I set up Realterm for 4800 7E2 with Xon/Xoff protocol.

On Dave Robert's new 4052 with v5.1 ROMs, I had no issue loading programs directly into memory with all the control characters. Then it is easy to save to tape.

CALL "RATE",4800,2,0
      CALL "TSTRIN","","",""
      CALL "RSTRIN","","",""
      CALL "CMFLAG",3
      Hi Monty,

thanks for the hints, I wasn't aware that you can just pass empty strings to TSTRIN and RSTRIN. And of course I wasn't aware of CMFLAG and the XON/OFF option, as this is indeed undocumented in the serial comms option manual.

Btw, the lunar lander works if I don't run the training option (and yeah, it's pretty tough). I dunno why that READ statement fails on my 4052, as the code transferred ok.

Best regards,

--Roland
      "END OF LINE" [MCP, 1982]
      "An admin that isn't a bit hackerish is just the guy mopping up the keyboard" [Phrack V0b I3f P12]
      "Any appearance of danger is simply a device to enhance your experience" [Futureworld, 1976]

Comment

Roland,

You found a bug in my LANDER4050.BAS!

I ran that version in the 4051 web emulator - and see what the issue is.

In this version I added four DATA statements in lines 221 to 224, which I use to determine the delay timing difference for 4051, 4052/4054, and 4052A/4054A.

This messed up the RESTORE statement in link 5945 in the original program - which causes the READ to fail in line 5965 due to a variable mismatch (string verses number).

The fix is to edit line 5945 to point the RESTORE to line 5955:

5945 RESTORE 5955

Since I wrote many programs on the 4051 in the late 1970's - I'm used to quick editing with the Tektronix editing keys at the top of the keyboard (of real 4051/4052/4054, and the 4051 emulator) special keys marked with quotes, don't type the quotes. Example: "RECALL LINE" is an edit key:

5945 "RECALL LINE" "SPACE" 5955 "ENTER"

adds 5955 to the end of line 5945

then run the program again, and the training screen shows two lunar modules correctly.

I checked my original Data Communication Interface operators manual and find it is newer than the one posted on bitsavers and includes new features in the 4052/4054 and 4052A/4054A and is titled "4050 Series Data Communication Interface" instead of "4051 Option 1 Data Communication Interface".

the new version number is -02, dated October 1982.

I guess I need to scan and post it.

I scanned the page on CMFLAG

Since this CALL works on my 4052 with 5.1 firmware, Dave's 4052, and yours - I think this call was added to v5.1 for all 4052 and 4054 users, or it would have failed. I think v5.1 firmware was released after 1982, the manual may have been updated later, I don't know.

Glad you are now running the LANDER4050.BAS program! Otherwise, the original LANDER program would run to fast for you to react

Monty
        Last edited by nikola-wan; June 26, 2020, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I just corrected the error and posted LANDER4050.BAS on my repository:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...LANDER4050.BAS

I need to update the main README file to show the simpler way to transfer programs if you have a 4052 or 4054 with V5.1 firmware - use the CMFLAG command and faster serial speed.

CALL "RATE",4800,2,0
          CALL "TSTRIN","","",""
          CALL "RSTRIN","","",""
          CALL "CMFLAG",3

Then to load a program in memory from serial:

OLD@40:

SEND the file from Realterm, the Xon/Xoff works without any additional delays
          When Realterm is done with the SEND, press the BREAK key to stop the 4052 from looking for more data.

Program is ready to run or SAVE to tape.

Monty

Comment

Tektronix 4051 4052 4052A 4054 and 4054A Service Notes

I just added fourteen service notes in a new folder for the Tektronix 4050 series computers on my github repository:
            https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...4_ServiceNotes

I also found a couple of 4907 Floppy Drive and one 4662 Plotter service notes that I posted in those respective folders on my repository.

I extracted these notes from ServiceTekNotes I found at http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Tektronix_Magazines

Here is an example service note on reset issues on the 4052 and 4054 using the 4050E01 ROM Expander. I think I have encountered this very issue:

Comment

Hi Monty,

I'm really stunned by how much effort you put into this Tektronix stuff.
              Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I have been searching on the forum, and there seem
              to be just a few persons here which actively post something about these machines.
              But when I do a search on Google I see many of these 405x machines...

I have asked the previous owner of my 4052 and he found 6 tapes.
              But I have also read that there are many problems with these tapes.
              Solved with plastibands etc...

Regards, Roland
              WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Huisman View Post
                Hi Monty,

I'm really stunned by how much effort you put into this Tektronix stuff.
                Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I have been searching on the forum, and there seem
                to be just a few persons here which actively post something about these machines.
                But when I do a search on Google I see many of these 405x machines...

I have asked the previous owner of my 4052 and he found 6 tapes.
                But I have also read that there are many problems with these tapes.
                Solved with plastibands etc...

Regards, Roland
                Roland,

It is a labor of love.

I loved programming the 4051 computer at my first job out of University.

I collected a 4052 and a 4054 when I 'retired' in 1999.

I was only retired for a year and a half, and the 4052 and 4054 were set aside until a couple of years ago - when I got both working again and began to archive recovered tapes and 8-inch disks.

Recovering the DC300 tapes and automating the recovery to just running a recovery program on my PC that pulls all the tape records into a single file has been the latest journey.

I then decided to see if the two 4041 GPIB Controllers that I acquired when I retired were running - both are running and I have successfully recovered the System Verification tape that I got from Stan Griffiths in 2000!

Now I'm experimenting with the 4041's communicating with the 4052 and 4054

Back to tape recovery - on the 4041, there are no reports of user tapes - as this machine was designed to control Tektronix (and other vendor) GPIB equipment, such as factory test - including a small thermal printer for the results.

I purchased a box of DC6250 mini tape cartridges to make copies of the 4041 System Verification tape and some assorted size plastibands for drive belts.

I found I could not format either of two NOS tapes in shrink wrap from a box dated 1993. I checked the web and found folks with similar issues trying to use these tapes in HP computers. Recommendation was bake the tapes at low temperature for a couple of days in a dehydrator.

I had a dehydrator and tried the recipe on four of these tapes (removed broken drive belt, removed drive pulley, taped the reels together, baked the tape without the cover), and after two days was easily able to format and record the recovered System Verification files. Previous attempts - including recovery of the System Verification tape with a plastiband replacement resulted in having to clean the heads multiple times, replace the belt multiple times, but the 'baking' didn't have that issue.

If you are going to try to recover the 6 tapes - I would highly recommend baking them first.

If the tapes are Tektronix programs - post photos of the tape labels first, maybe I have already recovered them.

If they are user tapes, there could be interesting programs. I think the most interesting at this point are the games, and I have found user tapes with user programs and a couple of games - like my find of the Lunar Lander program.

If you don't have a dehydrator - you could send me the tapes and I would try to recover and post their files.

I have also invested time in porting games from other microcomputers of early 1980's like my two ports of different Adventure games to the Tektronix. One of them runs on all the 4050 computers with at least 32KB memory. The latest one was designed for a Commodore floppy drive, and since I am on the short list of 4050 owners with working 4907 floppy drives, that limits the applicability.

I believe that second version might be converted to run on 4050 tape (slow access time), but I think I will wait on that conversion until I get my 4050 Arduino Tape Emulator project working. I'm working with the author of the AR488 Arduino GPIB interface to try to convert his program to accept commands from the 4050 computers as secondary GPIB addresses. If successful, I plan to copy all my recovered programs into an SD (or microSD) flash drive in separate directories, so all (dozen or so) users of working 4050 computers can enjoy them as the DC300 tapes are super problematic.
                Last edited by nikola-wan; August 3, 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I wonder when people were ready to use these graphics.

I found this little movie which shows a Tektronix 4002 (if I'm right)
                  But their report was in ascii art and the guy is drawing lines to connect the letters by hand.

Comment

Roland,

Tektronix published Tekniques magazines which had articles in each issue on how the 4050 computers and 4000 to 4200 series terminals were being used.

8 years of Tektronix Tekniques magazines have been scanned and posted on bitsavers.org:
                    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/tektronix/tekniques/

The industries covered included: aviation, space (Space Shuttle in particular), geophysical (like the article below), mechanical, chemical, and education (both university and undergraduate).

Here is an example article from 1982 on how the 4052 computers were used to analyze Antarctica core samples.
                    Graphics is much more powerful for this analysis than text, and the 4050 computers could display the data more quickly than plotting - as the researcher was trying to analyze the meaning.

Figure 2 in the second photo mentions using cubic spline routine to smooth the data.
                    I contributed a cubic spline program that I wrote to the Tektronix 4050 Application Library in the 1970's and listed in Tekniques Vol 2 No 2.
                    As is the case for most of the contributions - I needed a way to smooth the data I was analyzing and wrote this as a function call for my program.
                    Note the low memory use of 8KB My 4052 at work only had 32KB of memory for programs, so you had to be very conscious of memory usage.

Roland, the terminal in the video you posted was not a Tektronix 4000 series, as they had direct view storage tubes and could not scroll text.

By the way - have you gotten any programs loaded into your 4052 since you got it working?

Monty
                    Last edited by nikola-wan; August 7, 2020, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Hi Monty,

A lot to read, thanks!

The terminal in the video you posted was not a Tektronix 4000 series, as they had direct view storage tubes and could not scroll text.
                      Then watch it again There are two terminals on that table. They are using the left one to print the scrolling ascii graphics.
                      But next to it is an 4002. I really can't think of anything else... I really wonder why they didn't use that technique while
                      they have it? That made me wonder when they really start to use these graphics terminals...

4002.jpg

I'm really interested in early graphics. I found these pictures in a PDP8 handbook.

PDP8 KV graphics 3.jpg

PDP8 KV graphics 2.jpg

PDP8 KV graphics 1.jpg

A PCB designing program on a PDP8/I and a Tektronix 611. I would love to get my hands on that software!
                      I think this system dates in about 1969. I made a clone of the VC8E graphics controller for the PDP8 Omnibus systems.
                      These were built from 1970. I would love to update the software to run it on an Omnibus machine. (PDP8/E /M /F /A)
                      But I haven't found that software yet unfortunately... The Tektronix 611 is an official monitor to be used with that VC8E board set.

By the way - have you gotten any programs loaded into your 4052 since you got it working?
                      No... I'm waiting for a new ROM since one of them is corrupt. Jos compared U880 for me and it was broken indeed. He has a spare one and
                      sent it to me. And Jos has my TransEra RS232 module also to read the ROMs and checkout the schematics. So I have no ROM and no serial
                      connection at the moment. I will update the topic when I have news...

Regards, Roland

Comment

TransEra 735-SIF RS-232 Serial Interface ROM Pack files uploaded

Thanks to Roland and Jos, Roland's TransEra 735-SIF RS-232 Serial Interface ROM Pack for the Tektronix 4052/4054/4052A and 4054A computers has its ROM and PAL files captured, the manual scanned, and all files and photos have been uploaded to my github repository in a new folder:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...rial_Interface

Here is a photo of the front label on the ROM pack and component side of the circuit board:

The manual uploaded covers both the 735-SIF and the 635-SIF ROM pack designed for the 4051 computer.

Monty

Comment

Tektronix 4051 Memory Dump Program - Source Code Listing

I had a request for the Motorola 6800 source code for my 1979 assembly language program for Tektronix 4051 Memory Dump.

See my post #66 earlier in this thread for a screenshot running this program on the 4051 javascript web browser emulator:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4052A-4054-4054A-Program-Archives post 66

I located my Tektronix 4631 printouts of my code listing. I used a Tektronix 8001 Microprocessor Lab to develop 6800 code and the 4051 as the terminal to the 8001 in the late 1970's.

Here is a photo of the 8001 Microprocessor Lab with a Tektronix terminal from the 1979 Tektronix catalog:

Here is a scan I made today of page 1 of the code listing - quite readable after 40 years

And here the link to my PDF of the scan of the source code listing:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...ource_Code.pdf
                          Last edited by nikola-wan; October 22, 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Tektronix PLOT50 ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING Volume 1

One of our Tektronix 4051 users with the Tektronix DPO 7704A system asked if I had the PLOT50 Electrical Engineering Vol.1 tape.
                            Here is his system: Tekwiki Tek_WP1110_01.jpg

I found that I had captured the files, but not posted them on my Tek 4050 github repository.

This was one of the first Tektronix PLOT50 application tapes, priced at $400 in the 1977 catalog.
                            It is designed to run on a 4051 with 32KB of RAM, but the article indicates it can run on a 4051 with 24KB of RAM!

I cleaned up the files and created a new folder for them:
                            PLOT50_Electrical_Engineering_Vol_1

This set of programs on DC300 tape performs AC circuit simulation on conventional circuits and microwave circuits.

The only information I could find on the web for this tape was a 2-page article in Tekniques Vol 1 No 8 (higher res capture in this folder on github), which includes a sample circuit with the CODE and DATA, plus an output plot:

I ran the file 1, which is the menu program, which is completely driven from UDK (User Definable Keys) and has a little info on each of the UDK functions.

I created a UDK overlay from those instructions by scanning a blank UDK overlay, and used PAINT to add the text and posted it in the folder.
                            I also posted the blank UDK image in the root folder of my 4050 Program repository.

Here are the two MENU screenshots (captured from file 1 running on the Tektronix 405x javascript web emulator):

Comment

STARGATE art - from Creative Computing magazine article

During my searches for Tektronix 4050 series computer programs on the internet, I found this program in Creative Computing magazine, May-June 1978 issue.
                              Joe Jacobson was the author and used a 4051 computer to develop the program.

I typed in his program and posted it in a new "Computer Art" folder on my repository, along with a higher res screenshot of the article:
                              Computer-Art

Here is my screenshot of running this program on the 405x javascript emulator of the 4051 - the pixelation is due to the emulator, the lines are perfectly straight on the 4050 computers

I added one line of code to the authors program to move the blinking cursor to the center of the Stargate.

Comment

I did find a photo of the Tektronix 4050 PLOT50 Applications in a 4052 computer brochure from vintagetek.org.

I believe the photo is of the EE tape with a Smith plot.

I have the Math, Utilities and Electrical Engineering tapes captured and uploaded to my 4050 program repository.

I also have the Statistics tapes, although I haven't captured and uploaded them.

Comment

Working...
                                X