Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Any running AM1000 or AM1200 out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curbie
    replied
    hi classic,

haven't chased down the exact problem with the Amos/l or scsi2sd yet, will post my findings when I do. I'm gearing up for a long haul, don’t think I’ll have the direct answers anytime soon, my suspicion is I’ll have to re-write some stuff, and that will take some time.

I suppose trying to revive my MFM drive might/could work, which is scheduled to happen next week but I’m not holding my breath, same thing with finding a suitable used one to test a suspicion I have.

Never the less, they are just all puzzles to be solved to me. The scsi2sd would seem to solve both drive and backup issues with the same fix, which makes it so appealing to me.

Will post when/if I find the issue.

Curbie

Leave a comment:

• ClassicHasClass
    replied
    Excellent!

What was the issue with the scsi2sd? I'm thinking of setting up one on my Eagle 450, but this is rather newer and is true SCSI. It helps that I can boot it off my E300's backup tape.

Leave a comment:

• curbie
    replied
    The concluding post to this thread, thanks to members on this board, and the boot drive they setup for me, my little AM1000 is up and running well now.

After two additional repair cycles, (schematics and logic probe, find part online and order it then wait for it to show up, install then run through paces), this Alpha now “feels” fine, and hasn’t popped a single parity error since the last fix over two weeks ago.

So now I’m back at the scsi2sd, it doesn’t seem possible that scsi2sd has been out there that long, gone though that many revisions, has such a following, gets good reviews, and still has basic flaws. So I bought another identical Maxtor LXT-213SY as my existing boot drive, to setup as a secondary drive and low and behold… the exact same 255 block logical unit problem as a secondary drive as with the scsi2sd, smells like a Alpha software bomb!

I’m going to carry on trying to get the Alpha and scsi2sd to play nice, and/or chasing a viable backup scheme, but those updates won’t be on this thread, maybe on my “SASI drive replacement” thread, or maybe on a new Alpha backup thread depending on what I find?

Thanks to ALL that helped me get this far.

Curbie

Leave a comment:

• curbie
    replied
    I know it’s been a long time, I’m painfully slow but also painfully persistent, and just yesterday, thanks to the work of a board member here, my little AM1000 is now spitting out a baby ‘b’ to the status display.

Wasn’t expecting it... then I had a hair dryer pointed at the AM1000 fan hole, connected to a PID, set at 100 degrees F, and after it got there and settled for an hour, I tried to spin up the drive. The first 100 degree spin up attempt didn't spin up my pre-reef 10mb CMI, so up to 105 degrees for hour and repeat, that got the drive to spin up, but I don't hear the initial stepper motor head launch. So I let this drive heat soak @ 100 degrees F all night, but still no initial stepper motor head launch this morning.

now I'm going to copy these known-good boot proms, and think on this drive more.

Boy, I haven’t had a feeling like that (seeing the baby ‘b’ pop up), in 20 years, good times.

Curbie

Leave a comment:

• curbie
    replied
    Well after just ignoring the malformed/dead Bitsavers URL that was causing the 404 error, I went to http://bitsavers.org and just tried to follow links to anything Alpha Micro, and BINGO, found some claimed Alpha Micro boot prom images, a dump shows some Alpha Micro diagnostic ascii which is a very good sign. A big THANK YOU to Al Kossow!
    I may be able to prove this "WHAT IF" theory right or wrong fairly quickly.

curbie

Leave a comment:

• curbie
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Kossow View Post
    http://http://bitsavers.org/pdf/alph...1988/firmware/

were there ever schematics around for the systems?

I was also curious if the AM-1100 was just an AM-1200 with the 68451 MMU or if there were
    any 1000's that were built with the cartridge tape interface populated.
    Schematics, yes, but you had to buy them, and they weren't cheap.
    I was told by Alpha Micro at the time, that, that we were one of the largest dealers in terms of sales, and in terms of maintenance, we had hundreds of monthly maintenance contracts, and if I remember correctly, over 1800 doctors on our systems, and have only seen an AM1100 at alpha micro corporate, I don't know what market demand the were trying to fill, or who would have created it (not us), but I suspect Alpha Micro was trying to woo some Unix customer that never took the bait.

I didn't really have any experience with much of Alpha Micro's oddball stuff. We stuck to pretty generic configurations, although highly expended, 3.5 Mb. mem boards, 16 port serial boards, AM1001s and large disk expansion, and 68020 & 68030 cpu upgrades, basically competed with IBM's (and did well) in the medical community.

Cartridge tape interface... I think I recall seeing see a few... if I recall the AM625, a separate board and like the AM213, mounted to the four screw lugs on top of the power supply cover, I think, 40 years can play with my mind.

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/alph...1988/firmware/ is 404, what was it?

Leave a comment:

• Al Kossow
    replied
    Originally posted by curbie View Post
    I'd like someone to dump their boot prom for me.
    Curbie
    http://http://bitsavers.org/pdf/alph...1988/firmware/

were there ever schematics around for the systems?

I was also curious if the AM-1100 was just an AM-1200 with the 68451 MMU or if there were
    any 1000's that were built with the cartridge tape interface populated.

Leave a comment:

• curbie
    replied
    Hi Classic, this place turned up in a search motor while looking for old familiar Alpha Micro folks.

Leave a comment:

• ClassicHasClass
    replied
    Nice to see you here, Curbie (we discussed this very computer in E-mail).

Leave a comment:

• curbie
    started a topic Any running AM1000 or AM1200 out there?

Any running AM1000 or AM1200 out there?

I recently bought an AM1000 listed as for parts or repair, and I intend to repair this little guy. Does anyone have a running AM1000 or AM1200? What I'm doing now is signal tracing "WHAT IF" theories, trying to either prove them right or wrong, thereby isolating the problem directing, or by a process of elimination. One of the theories I'm currently chasing is a bad boot prom, which brings me back to the original question, back in the stone age I did more than a little repair/upgrade work on Alpha Micros, and still have a few megabytes of notes/code including a program I wrote to dump boot code to a file, which is the reason for the need for a running AM1000 or AM1200, I'd like someone to dump their boot prom for me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Curbie
Working...
X