• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GW-SDK80-1: A Slightly Modernized Intel SDK-80 Workalike

glitch

Veteran Member
I just finished testing the prototype for a new project last night:

This is the GW-SDK80-1, a slightly modernized Intel SDK-80 workalike! I wanted to make a board that "felt" as much like a SDK-80 as possible, but I decided not to go with a 1:1 reproduction due to some aspects I saw as problems with the SDK-80 design:

* Intel 8111/2111 SRAMs aren't super easy to find and IMO should be used on actual old hardware
* Memory and I/O are minimally decoded on the SDK-80, meaning they "repeat" through address space
* Some of the parts on the SDK-80 are hard to find or very expensive nowadays
* The SDK-80 puts silkscreen directly on copper, and it's not aligned well, which gets clipped in modern board manufacture
* Early revisions of the SDK-80 have layout errors in power distribution

So, rather than just scan a board and reproduce it, I decided to use this project as a testbed for an idea I'd had. I stripped down a rev A SDK-80 that was in really bad condition to start with, had it scanned at Mile High Test, and then imported the scanned artwork into KiCAD as non-mechanical layers. I used those layers to match my component placement and trace routing to the original. Pretty much everything to the left of the prototype area follows original routing, or as close as I could get with the modifications I'd made.

Speaking of modifications, this is the majority of what's changed:

* Conversion to 2716 EPROMs and 6116 SRAMs
* Use of 74LS244s as address buffers, instead of 8212s
* I/O addressing is now fully decoded
* RAM addressing is fully decoded, with extra outputs for easy expansion
* ROM is fully decoded, plus it can be relocated to 0xF000 and/or disabled
* Bitrate selection switch footprint set up to work with any available switch
* Reset switch changed to lower cost part with standard spacing
* Power connector footprint standardized for a Molex connector
* Power routing issues fixed
* Ground pour under 7905 -5V regulator removed (shorting hazard)
* DB25F connector footprints changed to a common modern connector
* Silkscreen cleanup to minimize clipping

The address decoding section is where the biggest changes happened. Here's a closeup:

I kept the same layout in this area as on the original SDK-80. It supports 8K of memory devices onboard. The first 24-pin socket pretty much has to be ROM to bring the board up, but the other three can be RAM or ROM. If you use RAM in the empty socket and add another 2K SRAM in the prototype area, you can run 8K BASIC!

One of the 74LS138s (same function as Intel 8205/3205) serves as I/O decode now, fully decoding the I/O addresses used for the PPIs and USART. The USART does repeat once (occupies 4 I/O ports instead of just 2), this made the logic a lot simpler. There are 5 extra decoded I/O select outputs for use with the prototype area, which should make prototyping a lot easier. The other 74LS138 does RAM address decoding, as in the original SDK-80; however, it fully decodes RAM addressing, and provides 6 extra select outputs. RAM is automatically disabled when ROM is being addressed, and if ROM is relocated or switched out, RAM can infill where it used to be. This was done to make running common 8080 software, like BASIC, easier.

ROM decode is essentially a modified version of what I used on my GW-SDK80-RAM1 mezzanine. It comes up with ROM at 0x0000 - 0x1000, but ROM can be relocated to 0xF000 or disabled completely. Relocation and switching out require jumpering to some of the PPI pins, just like the RAM mezzanine.

The upper-left corner contains the rest of the changes:

The switch is a more common (but still kind of expensive -- it's really nice, though) C&K part. The Intel original choice was a reversed pinout switch with a little circuit board on the back to match it to Intel's chosen spacing. This is still a standard C&K part but is about 50% more expensive than the part I went with. I also put a Molex KK-100 footprint for the external reset switch header. The bitrate selection area was changed to accommodate 11-pin rotary switches, so that any available rotary switch can be used, if desired.

Note that the silkscreen legend for the PPI outputs has been cleaned up a lot. The originals were poorly aligned and would have been severely clipped if run at a modern board house.

In the above picture, the 93S16 4-bit counter has been replaced with a 74LS163. They're not 100% same-spec compatible, but the 74LS163 works in this circuit (it will also work on an original SDK-80). That saves a lot of expense and is *much* easier to source.

So, that's the prototype! There are a few small errors (switch pinout was wrong for reset being the biggest). I have a little more testing to do, but I have a ROM image made up with Intel's MCS-80 monitor and a special version of GWMON. The MCS-80 monitor occupies the first half of the ROM. A bootloader and GWMON occupy the second half. If you jump to 0x0400, the bootloader copies a small jumper program into RAM, switches ROM up to 0xF000, and then runs out of ROM in high memory. This requires one jumper wire on the back of the board, but sets the stage for being able to easily load and run 8K BASIC on the GW-SDK80-1.

I'll have this prototype, along with my original Intel SDK-80, at VCF Midwest!

Looks great Glitch!
I will have to nab one I know I have plenty of parts to build one out laying around minus a few of the odd parts like the baud rate switch and stuff.
Can't wait to see it in person at VCF MW hopefully? ;)

Looks great Glitch!
I will have to nab one I know I have plenty of parts to build one out laying around minus a few of the odd parts like the baud rate switch and stuff.
Can't wait to see it in person at VCF MW hopefully? ;)

Yep! It'll be there, up and running, with a vintage terminal attached.

Nicely done!

Thanks!

I added 4K additional SRAM to replace the ROM when it's moved up to 0xF000, and now have Palo Alto Tiny BASIC running for VCF Midwest! One of the SRAMs is installed in the empty ROM socket, the other is added in the prototype area. As soon as ROM is relocated or switched out, the RAM decode circuitry automatically backfills with the added SRAM, giving 8K of RAM from 0x0000 to 0x1FFF.

I wrote a little bootloader for GWMON-80 that moves a piece of code into RAM, switches the ROM up to 0xF000, and the jumps into GWMON-80 at the new high memory location. That lives in the second half of a 2716 2K EPROM, the first half contains the regular MCS-80 monitor. That way, you can do a `G0400` from the MCS-80 monitor to automatically run with GWMON-80 (which has an Intel HEX loader) and have RAM in low memory for BASIC.

History question: What and when was the first CPU board that used the Multibus? One of the iSBC 80 CPU boards? What Multibus CPU board did the first INTELLEC MDS use? Was the SDK-80 released roughly at the same time as the first Multibus CPU boards?

This project hasn't been forgotten about :) This is what has been holding it up:

It's a little module that allows expansion to 64K of static RAM without having to modify the GW-SDK80-1 or add a bunch of stuff in the prototype area. It's just two 62256-type SRAMs and bypass caps. Mounting is Mill-Max pressfit pins:

The Mill-Max pins have a smaller diameter than the usual machine pin male:male strip headers and are much easier to remove from the sockets, while still being secure. The board mounts where the two 6116 RAMs usually go:

On the final GW-SDK80-1, the connections to socket A24 will be on the board (requires no additional chips), but on the prototype run #1 board pictured, I'll have to wire it in by hand. Haven't gotten to test it yet!

Back