Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Rolm 1602A mil spec computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the screws are UNC #4-40 or #6-32. You can try screws from an old PC whether the big or small ones fit. Will see whether I can find something on the options you have in your CPU - til than good luck in getting hands on some IO/load module to fit your empty slot. Without panel connected the CPU will start at a certain address - probably the 2023 will be located there.

Comment

Just checked and scanned some documentation; following are the pinout of the Control Panel Connector - a straight 1:1 cable connects the panel there. After that there are 7 sheets giving the complete interconnections in case of a 1602B and that may help in wire a (simulated?) panel directly to your CPI board and it may be wise to check the interconnections between CPU and your CPI - just to see whether they match. If so, there is a good chance, that the panel-pins will also be as listed. Good luck:
      PanelCon-Pinout.jpg
      Wiring5605-CPI-Memory-1602B-0.jpg
      Wiring5605-CPI-Memory-1602B-1.jpg
      Wiring5605-CPI-Memory-1602B-2.jpg
      Wiring5605-CPI-Memory-1602B-3.jpg
      Wiring5605-CPI-Memory-1602B-4.jpg
      Wiring5605-CPI-Memory-1602B-5.jpg
      Wiring5605-CPI-Memory-1602B-6.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by baigar; August 23, 2021, 11:38 PM. Reason: Attachments do not seem to show up -> Added the scans directly.

Comment

Jos, by the way: The option 3 of your CPU means "Extreme Temperature Range", which is -55C...95C (rare option I think) and option 15 is pretty common: Microcode includes floating point and BITE (Built In Test) which tests CPU and also some basic memory. As you suspect, the missing memory may be the reason for your "BITE" LED not getting illuminated after power on.

Comment

Thanks for the pinouts. Would have saved me a couple of hours...
          Anyway the 1602A motherboard has the same slots A1-A10, an A11 which is a second MEMOPT slot. It is missing slots E27--E31.

I will wire some extra signals to the MEMOPT slots ( read(n) and write) .Then a RAM card can be made that would fit both the MEMOPT slots and the external DB37 connectors.

Appended is a list of the memory DSUB pinouts.
          dsub_pinout.pdf
          Attached Files

Comment

So the ebay plugs arrrived and : bad luck. They are M81511/56FE01P2, and should have been M81511/56FE01P1.
            The last 2 stands for "alternate keyring"...

Should have paid more attention to this : milc81511.pdf

Anyone know how to open up the plug, i.e. remove the bajonet-ring so i can "adapt" the keyring ?

Comment

Hi Jos, sad that the connectors have the wrong key-ing. I also had to pay some extra money in the past until I learned there is a different keying. In my variant of these plugs (made by Glenair, Series G3703), the bajonett-ring (marked in blue below) is forced backwards using a spring. In this way twisting the bajonett onto the machine's plug applies a constant pressure forcing the pins in. There is a snapring (violett arrow) preventing the ring from sliding of the body towards the cable. Removing this ring allows taking off the bajonett ring towards the cable.

bajonett-ring.gif

There are two different ways of keying in these mil-spec plugs:

(1) The outer noses shown below and marked in the picture below are the same, but the insert is rotated with respect to them. In these there is no easy way of fixing the problem - only approach I successfully followed is given in my blog at datecode 9/11/2017: If you have two plugs, you can drill out the insert in one of them, destroying it. In the other one you cur open the outer body to safely extract the needed insert. From the two intact parts make a new plug.

(2) The outer noses are at a different position, but the insert is not rotated. In this case it often is convenient using a rasp to remove the noses which are in the way - the main key (marked in blue below) normally can be kept as it is always at the same position.

noses.gif
              Last edited by baigar; August 30, 2021, 07:36 AM. Reason: Typos, formtting and resizing the pictures.

Comment

By accident I came accross an auction on eBay where a Hawk/32 system is listed. That is the latest one of the Rolm series of mil-spec computers, see https://www.ebay.com/itm/312572166544

Rolm-HAWK32-eBay202109-1.jpg

The seller is asking a rediculous price of 99kUSD - OK, that machine is a 32 bit one largely compatible to DG's advanced EAGLE product which sold new obviously for over half a million USD. But I doubt anyone is going to pay that price. This kind of machine was widely used in the Boeing AWACS aircraft or the ATTAS research aircraft. All of these are out of service now and I have been told that the Hawk is a hard to fix machine as it contains lot of ASICs. As all machines before it, it still accepted the 1970's style IO boards - in my opinion a reason for the success of the Rolm machines.

Maybe a good place to talk more on price In 1971 the 1601 was advertised with a price of USD10550 (today around 71k) - that was the bare machine, arithmetic was +3500USD, panel +750USD and each 8k of memory around +8kUSD. So quite a lot of money these days but a small amount compared to the other computers which where custom for each application in the 1970ties and easily reached 500kUSD.

In 2000 the repair prices for the 1602A of Jos was around 5kUSD with a refurbished one going for 15kUSD - these numbers amount to 8kUSD and 24kUSD today's value respectively.

So probably the setup I am running SpaceWar! on was new around 40kUSD in 1974 (220kUSD today's value: 1602 with AD converters, 24k, panel, IO extender etc.) - seen here with homebrew hard drive simulator and attached joystick. Display is a Russian S1-122 oscilloscope:

RolmSpaceWar-Setup.jpg

Last edited by baigar; September 7, 2021, 05:31 AM. Reason: Minor typos and added the "USD" with the numbers where appropriate ;-)

Comment

Asking the right persons sometimes yields unexpected results :

rolm_fp.jpg

Certainly not free, but finding these spare parts inside Switzerland was unexpected. That Rolm was an awesome burden on the Swiss taxpayer at the time....

Now the question remains whether I need the Rolm 1642 control panel interface, or whether the much less complex Rolm 375 control panel interface I have is suffisant.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey there - pretty cool find! Well done! Even the hard to obtain key is included as well as some cabling! Good luck in firing up your Rolm Doesn't the binder contain some documentation like schematics and/or pinouts you ca use to verify the connections and see whether your "reduced" CPI connects to the right pins? In the end I could probably borrow you a "full" CPI but it seems there are no connections wired from your chassis slot to one of the fron connectors, so (1) it will not be of much help and (2) even it might not fit into your chassis elctrically.
                    Last edited by baigar; December 5, 2021, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Jos, just one question: The post from 15th of August 2021 shows the chassis from the bottom. The short plugs are the IO-boards and there are two longer ones on the right hand side. Are these the ones supposed to take the memory or is one for CPU and the other for memory (Just trying to figure out what memory PCBs would be needed)?

Comment

The right-handside DB37 plugs, with the blue wiring, are for an external core-memory box. They match the box connections on your pictures. I have neither the extension box nor the corememory sets, but the internal memory slot, now filled with a PROM board, has ( nearly..) all the signals needed : I am designing a plug-in SRAM board.

That front-panel I found is the right one for a 1602A, but unfortunatly I do need an 1642 front panel interface ( anyone has a spare ?...), and I will also need to wire up a connector. Which is just as well as the 1602A and 1602B use different connectors, and the cable that came with the box is for an 1602B...

Ah well, keeps you busy....

Comment

Memory: OK, so your 1602A ONLY has got the D-Sub plugs for supplying an external memory brick and there is no internal free slot for e.g. a CMOS memory module. I just pulled one of the 8k CMOS modules from my 1624 IO processor, which also uses a 5605 CPU and this obviously is not going to fit your machine (no free slot):

8kCMOS.JPG

CPI-Board: Why do you think, that you CPI board is not suitable for driving a panel? The fully populated CPI has got more chips on it to handle TTY and papaer tape than your's - so maybe your's is only a panel interface?

In all Rolms I saw, the panel was a single Deutsch plug with 55 pins - the TTY interface was wired to a different plug on the front panel if used (only a few wires to that one and in 1602B onwards it was a 55pin AMP plug instead of a Deutsch as seen in the 1602(A)). The paper tape interface - if used - was again wired to a different plug, so no Y-cables in that case. The wiring in all my Rolms is done directly from the front plug to the plug of the board within the chassis and you mentioned, that there are no wires connected to your CPI board -> Obviously your Rolm is not prepared for connecting a panel, i.e. it starts right after power up to execute code from the ROM.

My proposal would be, looking at my post from 8/24 which contains the wiring diagram of a 1602B with CPI board - verify that the proposed outputs of that 1642 CPI board are outputs/inputs in your CPI board. If they are open, you probably need a different CPI board, but if they are connected to some chips, you are with high probability just missing the connection of the appropriate pins to a Deutsch 55 pin connector (pinout also given in my post from last summer).

I have got a CPI board pulled from my IO processor, if you did these tests and still are sure that your CPI is not prepared for a panel, than er can probably make some arrangement for a temporary loan of that one or preferred some meeting as I am little reluctand shipping it...

Mem-CPI-Tool.JPG
                          Last edited by baigar; December 8, 2021, 12:43 AM. Reason: Typos fixed.

Comment

I was unclear : my 1602A has 2 memory slots, one of which is occupied by the ROM board, so one slot remains free. Anyhow with more modern RAMs there is enough space left on the board I am designing to add ROM and USB interface. You 8K board is made up with 32 2114 SRAM's 1Kx4, I will used 62256 and 2764. Finding those green connectors will be the main problem.

The need for a 1642 CPI : that is what the 1602B manual says. But yes, seeing that I have both a TTY and an RTC board in my 1602A means that it never had an 1642 CPI in the first place. It remains strange that I should have a S375 panel interface board, but no internal wiring for it. Then again I know nothing about the history of my particular machine. As you say : it must have been set up to run from core, or boot from tape, seeing as this is the only mass storage controller inside.

My 1635 frontpanel has a 55 pin Bendix socket with matching cable, not compatible with the Deutsch 55 pin socket. So changing some sockets on my machine is a must.

So tasks in order are :
                            1) finish the RAM board, check "bite" function.
                            2) as you suggested : draw up schematic of my S375 CPI board and check if it can drive a 1635 panel.
                            3) find out existing wiring between sockets & IO boards. Find out which socket is going to be redirected to front-panel duty, wire up the front panel using a Bendix socket. ( or create a cable with a Bendix plug on one end, and a Deutsch on the other.
                            4) find either a 1642 ( and rewire again.. ) or find a 3320 papertape reader if board, as I would like to have papertape functionality for this machine.

Journey is only starting !

Comment

Thanks for the explanations to Jos. So:

Ad 1: I will put my 8k core boards back into the 1626 IO processor.
                              Ad 2: Probably no full schematic is needed; I'd just look at the pins relevant to controling a panel (see wirings scheme posted 8/24)
                              Ad3: What I can offer would be a new breakout cable just found in my spares box at the very bottom - you could wire that to the mainboard as it is done with the Deutsch plugs and the IO connections right now. You could unscrew one of the original Deutsch receptables and push it back into the chassis and the new Bendix receptable would replace it:

Amp55pin-BreakOut-20211209.jpgAmp55pin-20211209.jpg
                              That will work if one of your cables fits the panel and the other and matches the receptable shown above. Let me know and I am sure we can make some deal and I will send out the insertion/removal tool together with the breakout cable.

Ad4: Maybe at some time in the future a paper tape board will show up somewhere. Often one gets lucky unexpected

Comment

That is most certainly the correct plug for the panel / panel cable i have ! Would be a good way to proceed...

Comment

Working...
                                X