• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intellec MCS-8 8008 boards

Roland Huisman

Veteran Member
Okay, I could not resist these boards. They are on their way to me. I'm especially curious (and worried) about
the eprom contents. There are two roms wrongly placed in the sockets. And there are two third party boards with it.

1.JPG 5.JPG 4.JPG 3.JPG 2.JPG 7.JPG 6.JPG 9.JPG 8.JPG

I have an Intel Intellec MCS-8 equipped with an 8080 board set. It would be nice to be able to use an 8008 set once.
Recently I found another 8008 CPU board so I've got two of them now... But I thought you have to swap more
then only the 8008 PCU board and ROM. I have to check that...

The seller had also this Philips tape unit. He told me that this was attached to the Intellec once.
It would surprise me but who knows...

3.JPG

And an 12 sector disk pack... No history known... maybe PDP11?

disk 1.JPG

Regards, Roland

I think the disk is to be used with a Diablo 30 or 31 drive. I believe the 8008 card should work but it won't run 8080 code. I can't read the EPROM labels but they should be 1702As. Does your 8080 machine have a programmer card. If so, you might check the EPROMs to see if there is any data left. Use a bench supply for the 15V line. If they have been powered upside down, they may be shorted inside. You can isolate the 15V from the rest of the bus with a small piece of clear tape on the edge pin.
Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I think the disk is to be used with a Diablo 30 or 31 drive.
Yes probably. It is a 12 sector so maybe RK05 / PDP11. There were more drives which used this model packs...

I believe the 8008 card should work but it won't run 8080 code.
I have to dive into the machine to check if I have to change something or if I can just use these boards. Very curious.
It would be nice if this set is complete already...

I can't read the EPROM labels but they should be 1702As. Does your 8080 machine have a programmer card. If so, you might check the EPROMs to see if there is any data left. Use a bench supply for the 15V line. If they have been powered upside down, they may be shorted inside. You can isolate the 15V from the rest of the bus with a small piece of clear tape on the edge pin.

Yes these are 1702A roms. I have a programmer for them so I can read them. The roms from my 8080 set are also on bitsavers.
But I wonder what is in the 8008 ROMs and I hope it is complete with these 5 roms. I would expect a monitor program. But you never know.

Regards, Roland

That Philips Tapedrive looks very particular, but is in fact a standard similar to the Teac MT02 devices. I can easily believe that it was connected to that system at the time...

Hi Jos,

Today I got the whole package. There was a lot of unexpected documentation with the boards.

The tape drive is period correct but was not used on the Intellec system. There are schematics
of a CDS 110 controller with the 8008 board set. And these is also source code for the machine.
Maybe also the ROM source. According to the documentation it was a hard sectored floppy.
The system was a Dutch development and is was made at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam.
It was used for glucose measurements in a laboratorium.

I will read the roms soon. Might be interesting an intellec 8008 floppy system...
But the software seems to be dedicated and not an OS according to the documentation.

Regards, Roland

I got a message of the seller that he found back the original Intel 8008 programming card.
So he sent it to me for free :D But it surprises me that I can't find it online.
Worth the effort to make a high resolution scan?

8008 card 1.jpg 8008 card 2.jpg

Regards, Roland

There are schematics
of a CDS 110 controller with the 8008 board set.

I just put up the manual for the century data 110 floppy drive.
It is very unusual in that it may be the only drive ever sold that could write IBM Minnow
floppies used on early IBM 370s, but I haven't verified all of the specs match

I have needed a MDS 8/80 backplane for many years so I am finally making a reproduction. Any chance you have the board dimensions and distance from the edge to the first socket? Also, are pins 90, 91, and 92 on the upper 12 sockets really connected to ground? Full fave photos of th3 board would be useful.

thanks

Back