• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Terminal emulator for Linux

curbie

Experienced Member
Does anyone have experience with and recommends a serial terminal emulator for Linux? I need something that does Wyse or IBM emulation also sends and receives ASCII files. My notes say I used ProComm 15 years ago which I’d need to relearn, so I’d rather learn something native.

C Kermit can do this type of thing also, but has to be used in a terminal window that supports the terminal type emulation you want.

The perennial favorite minicom has been mentioned, and I myself use this A LOT. It is most like the old MS-DOS comm program Telix in style.

But you have other options. There is the Windows favorite PuTTY, which is available for Linux. On a Debian system:
Code:
sudo apt install pterm putty putty-doc putty-tools

PuTTY does serial ports well.

Years back I used an X11 terminal emulator called seyon, which is no longer maintained. Seyon can emulate Tektronix 4014 in addition to the standard VT100 stuff. It's still available on Debian 10, even though it has been an orphaned package for over ten years (!!);
Code:
sudo apt install seyon
should do the trick.

These days I use more special-purpose serial programs, like IFtools' Cleverterm and MSB (I have both an IFtools RS-232 and RS-485 sniffer, and man do they work well!).

If you want to go vintage, you might be able to port the ancient 'pcomm' program, which was a Unix near-clone of ProComm Plus. You can get pcomm still in the archives, as shell archives; the first in the thread is at https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/unix-pc.sources/1989-February/000003.html I used versions of pcomm on my old Xenix System III box (Tandy 6000) and the AT&T 3B1.

Last edited:
PuTTY does serial ports fine, but it doesn't do much for file transfer over serial. Looks like there's a fork called ExtraPuTTY that adds this, but it appears to be Windows-only.

If it's in termcap/terminfo, it will. Use the -t command-line argument.

is there a way to tell what terminal options termcap has, I tried sudo minicom alpha -t wyse, wyse 50, wy30, wy50, wy60, soroc, but No termcap entry for same.

You may need to set $TERMINFO to the location of terminfo, which is usually /usr/share/terminfo, if minicom doesn't immediately see it. e.g. "export TERMINFO=/usr/share/termifo"

Looking at the terminfo directory, you'll probably see at least a thousand definitions. wy50, for example will get you a Wyse 50 definition.

To get a list run "toe -a -s"

"termcap" mostly applies to older versions of Unix/BSD. "Terminfo" is the replacement.

Last edited:
You may need to set $TERMINFO to the location of terminfo, which is usually /usr/share/terminfo, if minicom doesn't immediately see it. e.g. "export TERMINFO=/usr/share/termifo"

Looking at the terminfo directory, you'll probably see at least a thousand definitions. wy50, for example will get you a Wyse 50 definition.

Thanks for your help.

/usr/share/terminfo is empty, any way to recover?

Thanks for your help.

/usr/share/terminfo is empty, any way to recover?

termcap/terminfo is used to tell Unix/Linux programs how to communicate to a physical terminal connected to Unix/Linux. That is *not* terminal emulation. If you have a Wyse 50 (do any still exist?) connected to your PC then that might help. But, I took your original request to be that you have some legacy application(s) running on vintage hardware that emits Wyse 50 ESC codes and you need some way to handle those on Linux. for that you need a Wyse 50 *terminal emulation*, not Wyse 50 termcap/terminfo.

To answer your question, even though I don't think it is what you want, on my system the terminfo files are part of the package "ncurses-term", which you would need to install. Again, I don't believe this is what you need.

termcap/terminfo is used to tell Unix/Linux programs how to communicate to a physical terminal connected to Unix/Linux. That is *not* terminal emulation. If you have a Wyse 50 (do any still exist?) connected to your PC then that might help. But, I took your original request to be that you have some legacy application(s) running on vintage hardware that emits Wyse 50 ESC codes and you need some way to handle those on Linux. for that you need a Wyse 50 *terminal emulation*, not Wyse 50 termcap/terminfo.

To answer your question, even though I don't think it is what you want, on my system the terminfo files are part of the package "ncurses-term", which you would need to install. Again, I don't believe this is what you need.

Doug,

I'm trying to connect my Ubuntu computer as a terminal to a vintage computer, the vintage computer can talk to any terminal so long as it has a native terminal driver for it. I chose the wyse50 emulation because they are more common than AM60 emulation.
If you know of a terminal emulation package you would recommend, even a for purchase package, I'm all ears.

I guess the question for you is, what terminals does this vintage computer support?

minicom seems to be setup to emulate a vt100. I know of some emulators for Heath/Zenith H19 terminals - which is an extension of VT52 I believe. That's about all that I've dealt with myself.

Seeing a list of what this vintage computer supports might help find one that's got a modern emulation.

I guess the question for you is, what terminals does this vintage computer support?

minicom seems to be setup to emulate a vt100. I know of some emulators for Heath/Zenith H19 terminals - which is an extension of VT52 I believe. That's about all that I've dealt with myself.

Seeing a list of what this vintage computer supports might help find one that's got a modern emulation.
Doug, some of these are printer drivers.

AB62 TDV 4 AB62A TDV 5 AB62X TDV 4 ADOBE TDV 1
ALPHA TDV 3 ALPHAA TDV 4 AM6X TDV 3 AM60 TDV 3
AM62 TDV 3 AM62A TDV 3 AM62AB TDV 4 AM62C TDV 4
AM62CG TDV 4 AM62F TDV 4 AM62GF TDV 4 AM62GM TDV 4
AM62M TDV 4 AM62N TDV 4 AM65 TDV 4 AM65A TDV 4
AM65AX TDV 4 AM65EX TDV 4 AM7X TDV 3 AM70 TDV 3
AM70AW TDV 3 AM70E TDV 3 AM70EG TDV 3 AM70EW TDV 4
AM70G TDV 3 AM70GW TDV 4 AM72 TDV 4 AM72A TDV 4
AM75 TDV 4 AM75EX TDV 4 AM75G TDV 4 AM75GX TDV 4
A70EGW TDV 4 DIABLO TDV 1 FLACOL TDV 7 FLIP TDV 1
FLPA60 TDV 5 FLPA62 TDV 5 FLPCOL TDV 6 FLPCOM TDV 6
FLPW50 TDV 6 FLP210 TDV 6 FLP62 TDV 6 FLP62A TDV 6