• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any Tricks to Distinguish a Compucolor 8001 from an Intercolor 8001?

Dubis7

Experienced Member
I may have an opportunity to pick up several Compucolor 8001 units. The seller has multiple cards, keyboards, the units themselves, plus some 8 inch floppies and associated software.

From what I understand the Compucolor is an Intercolor with an extra board installed to add Basic. I doubt this thing powers up as is and I don't believe he'll be willing to try and set them up, so is there any piece of hardware I can check for to be sure I'm getting what I think I am?

Wow, throwback. I was browsing here and just realized I'd received responses. Sorry, everyone!

I ended up not going through with the purchase. As more information came out, it appeared the seller did not know what they had. They presented it as two complete Compucolor 8001 machines, but they were in fact military later model 8001G machines taken from military surplus. Later keyboard, no cabinets, and the price was completely wrong for what they had. Apparently they were originally installed in a larger setup and were pulled when the facility was shut down.

Yup, I was the sucker that ended up paying more than I should for about half the hardware that was promised. That which did arrive was rusted and corroded and I should have listened to the "If it sounds too good to be true..." - Dubis7 made the right call. However, I'm determined to get one fabricated from places like "Front Panel Express" (cabinets) and getting the sand paper out to get rid of the rust. The 8" hard drive I doubt would ever run so I picked up a working replacement... Hopefully I can make one useable one from the two but getting original pictures and schematics is tough and the individual "selling" did a fair amount of damage with wiring so trying to reverse engineer is going to be a challenge - I will make one work!!!

They removed the wiring from the power distribution board to the CRT as well as the daughterboard cage... Lots of old wiring! Lots of ribbon cables to be replaced (easy enough as I can make those myself)... Suffice to say it's going to be quite the effort. Not sure if I'm allowed to post photo's but if so I should show you some of the "ahem" challenges.

Back