• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Neat IBM AT finds

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I went to my local "junque" place today to browse around and found a familiar hard drive in a stack of full-height 5" drives.

It was none other then a CMI hard drive from an IBM AT. It even had the "manufactured for IBM" sticker on it.

I'm going to bet that it's dead, but it's still a fun item.

While I was on my way to the register I stopped at a bin of keys and quickly found a pair of IBM PC AT keys still in the little ziplock pouch.

I already have both of these items for my "good" AT, but not for my junker. . . :)

Fun stuff.

Erik

Re: Neat IBM AT finds

"Erik" wrote:

> I went to my local "junque" place today to browse
> around and found a familiar hard drive in a stack
> of full-height 5" drives.

> It was none other then a CMI hard drive from an
> IBM AT. It even had the "manufactured for IBM"
> sticker on it.

> I'm going to bet that it's dead, but it's still a fun
> item.

If you want to get rid of it, then put it on EBAY &
label it as memoribillia, be interesting to see how
much money people want to pay for a piece of
memoribillia (even if it's broken), I think that
focusing on what it is, rather than the condition,
then people might pay big for it (even though it's
broken! ;-)

Have Fun,
CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
If you want to get rid of it, then put it on EBAY &
label it as memoribillia, be interesting to see how
much money people want to pay for a piece of
memoribillia (even if it's broken), I think that
focusing on what it is, rather than the condition,
then people might pay big for it (even though it's
broken! ;-)

Have Fun,
CP/M User.

You're probably right about that because a). that's the reason Erik bought it, even assuming it won't work, and b). Erik ain't the only one who would. I'd prob'ly buy one that was broken, if the price were right. (I'm a cheapskate tho, I wouldn't go over $5.00 for it, unless it was working). As for buying broken equipment tho, just last nite I placed a bid on an eBay item which is billed as non-working, does not power-up. I used to be more snobbish about what I collected. I wouldn't take anything that was not in working condition, with software included (unless I knew where to obtain such software). These days, I'm less picky, and will adopt almost any orphan machine, for the right price.

--T

Terry Yager said:
You're probably right about that because a). that's the reason Erik bought it, even assuming it won't work, and b). Erik ain't the only one who would. I'd prob'ly buy one that was broken, if the price were right. (I'm a cheapskate tho, I wouldn't go over $5.00 for it, unless it was working).

--T

I'm not sure if I'll eBay the drive or if I'll put it in my other AT when I retrieve it and sell the set as a "RARE CMI based AT" or some other malarky.

BTW, $5 was the cost of the drive and keys combined. With tax I was out the door for $5.41.

Also BTW, the Commodore Pet 8032 I bought at the VCF two years ago was billed as broken. I took it home, plugged it in and it worked perfectly! :)

E

I generaly wont buy a machine if its listed as nonworking unless I need spare parts (like when I purchased a Tandy 1000 HX with broken case just because it was cheap and had the 640k memory expansion card I needed for my mint HX).

Yah, spare parts are always nice. The non-functional Z88 I bought for $5.00 in January worked just fine until about two weeks ago, then it decided not to work again. Some intermitant problem, I suppose (I hate them, they can be a real PITA to track down). Anyways, I'm kinda fond of it, and have already begun trying to find a replacement for it (I'm spoiled already, it's that nice of a machine). Hoping I can find one with a broken LCD or sum'n.

--T

"Terry Yager" Wrote:

>> You're probably right about that because a).
>> that's the reason Erik bought it, even assuming
>> it won't work, and b). Erik ain't the only one
>> who would. I'd prob'ly buy one that was broken,
>> if the price were right. (I'm a cheapskate tho, I
>> wouldn't go over $5.00 for it, unless it was
>> working).

Actually, since I was perhaps half intoxicated at the
time, I was thinking about trying to get a lot of people
interested in paying big for this Hard Disk.

It would perhaps involved taking detailed photos of
the hard disk, posting those on EBAY (with the drive)
& perhaps have a little story about the drive by telling
them that they don't make it like this anymore. :)

"Erik" wrote:

> I'm not sure if I'll eBay the drive or if I'll put it in my
> other AT when I retrieve it and sell the set as a "RARE
> CMI based AT" or some other malarky.

Well that sounds fine, at the time it just seemed like a
way of getting somebody to buy big for something that
ain't workin'! ;-) Sounds a little bit off the chart.

> Also BTW, the Commodore Pet 8032 I bought at the
> VCF two years ago was billed as broken. I took it
> home, plugged it in and it worked perfectly! :)

Strange. Maybe it's slightly faulty, have you used it
much? My Atari 7800, works well, so long as the power
lead going into my transformer is in a certain position,
otherwise it doesn't work!

Cheers,
CP/M User.

betty

betty

I bought a non working AT computer at the Salvation Army about 3 months ago (boy are they heavy) That was the first computer I owned years ago before it stopped working and I threr it away. Since then, I have taken some hardware classes in college and have learned how to replace motherboards. I had a pentium AT 75 mhz in my closed so I installed it in my AT machine. Even though not the original inside, I still like it.

Back