• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trying to save floppy YD-380 type 1711 1.2 MB

tonata

Experienced Member
Hi,

I managed to oil the stepper motor and the tracks for the head movement and now it does not give a floppy error 40.
Still it does not work. When I try to access it from DOS it gives a read error: "Abandon, Retry, Fail ...".
It is correctly configured in the BIOS as I have another one that works on the same computer.

What I noticed is that there is a lot of vibration on the "collet shaft". Please check this video:
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/10QGHbcFxS5QGdmNe2TJwd-tuLmKEVfjt/view?usp=sharing[/video]
I think this vibration does not allow the head to lock on the tracks.
Is it possible to tighten the collet shaft?

How is the white part that keeps the disk locked to the spindle motor called? Is it called the "bottom hub"? This part is on a spring and I have the impression this spring is too loose - there is a lot of space between the collet shaft and this white "bottom hub".

Last edited:
Looking at the video, it's obvious that there's something really wrong. I suspect that the collet (the white segmented "cone" is damaged and doesn't mate with the "cup" successfully. Run the drive spindle motor without a disk inserted. Does it behave the same way?

I had a similar issue with a 360K version of this drive, whatever model that is. Like Chuck said, it wouldn't mate with the cup. If I "helped" it along by poking it with something, it would snap into place and everything would spin smoothly. Perhaps it's just dirty? I don't recall if I ever got it resolved on mine, because I had other issues, and I event damaged one of the heads by not being careful.

It looks like it is supposed to be attached firmly. Was it soldered? Actually I am getting certain reads. I was able to do "a:" and "dir" now, but I still get read errors.
There are two solutions I think:
- use a resin glue that becomes very firm (could be used for metals)
- solder it - it is doable if you know the technique

I'd be careful with the solder or glue. Looking at my own 380s and 580s, the "collet" is attached pretty firmly to the spindle, but the spindle itself is free to move up and down. Check the collet carefully--it's nylon or delrin or some such and will deform with age--and that may be at the root of your problem. I've seen collets on other manufacturers' drives have bits that break off, which really makes a mess of things.

I had a bit of set-back. I accidently damaged two transistors. Please do not ask how :).
So I did remove them. These are "C124EF_F", but now it turns out these are not available. It is is hard to me to understand the equivalent.
I found on ebay 2SC124 in a used condition. Here is another one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32317433787.html
Not sure what to order though.

And then I will get be back testing :)

OK, but is the "C124EF_F" a DTC124EF or DTC123ES so that I can get the datasheet ? Is 2SC124EF the equivalent?
I am not really into electronics ...

Last edited:
The C124... certainly is--it's common practice to omit the 2S or 2N in component labeling. I don't know about the DTC ones--never run into that branding.

Back