• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable 286 Sprague line filter (JN17-5259E) autopsy

bitshox

This is not so much a request for advice but rather documenting the innards of a not-so-common part for a Compaq Portable 286. It's the Sprague line filter unit (JN17-5259E) which houses the Class X and Y capacitors as well as the mains power connector, fuse and switch.

MlGcmYx.jpg

When I first powered up my Compaq it predictably released the magic smoke. Doing some research I thought that a RIFA line capacitor might be the culprit. However taking a look at the power supply board I couldn't find any line filter caps. It turns out the caps are located in this sealed box manufactured by Sprague Electric for Compaq. I thought at first the box was welded shut, so I took my Dremel to the perimeter and tried to open it up at the seal. However my Dremel kept slipping so I gave up on that idea pretty quick. I then thought the box might have been soldered shut, so I took my soldering iron to the seal and cranked up the iron to the hottest setting and used solder wick to get as much of the solder out as possible.

uOVGe8a.jpg

(The lid was rusty too, which made me think a electrolytic had leaked from the inside but this turned out not to be the case)

This ended up working well, and after half an hour I was able to prize the lid open. To my amazement the Class X capacitors were Mallory polyesters, both of which were intact, while the Class Ys were ceramic disc caps. Additionally the fowl odor I had smelt when magic smoke got released was not present anywhere inside the Sprague box.

35QqWLt.jpg

LYJNJYv.jpg

27pOIcr.jpg

Here is the diagram from the front of the box:

UkO8KsQ.jpg

Unfortunately everything is epoxied together so even if there were a RIFA inside there's not much I could do to extract it. I think this Sprague unit is totally fine though; I got the rust off the lid with a wire brush and some vinegar and will be taping it shut. I've ordered a spare on eBay just in case however.

I went back to the Compaq and inspected the power supply board, and I think I found the culprit:

oWpa87A.jpg

A blown tantalum at C22. Can't get a good register on it or else I'd write the specifications. Looks like I'm going to have to replace all these tants wherever I see them, not looking forward. Hopefully this post will help out a fellow faulty Portable 286 owner rule out the Sprague unit at least.

Did you ever figure this out??? I think mine just died from a sprague filter switch issue. I metered it but get no AC to the power supply board.

Nearly a year later and I find this message thread. I'm now having an issue with the Sprague Filter. I'm not getting any AC out. Going to try and see if my solder sucker will work better than a braid wick.

Nearly a year later and I find this message thread. I'm now having an issue with the Sprague Filter. I'm not getting any AC out. Going to try and see if my solder sucker will work better than a braid wick.
Not all Sprague line filters will be the same, but yours may have a fuse. In the filter shown in post #1, the fuse is sure to be hidden behind the removable panel that I have highlighted in orange below.

1688938665958.png

I noticed the fuse box after my initial post. I pulled it and found a blown fuse! There was even a spare fuse! So I tried the new fuse ..... and it blew.

So kinda back to square one. BTW this is model "1" of the Compaq Portable but the 286 version. The motherboard showed activity for a second before the fuse blew. I only had the motherboard connected to the power supply with a diagnostic card plugged into an ISA slot. All items pulled from the case and on my work bench. I've got to replace a blown tantalum on the video card. Floppy and disk controller cards work. Floppy drive works. Even the miniscribe works with no issues!

The fuse was rated 4 A - 125 V. The fuse cover says you should use 250 V. My Sprague is model JN17-5672A. The attached image shows 5.0 AMP 115 VAC / 4.0 AMP 250VAC. So I went and ordered some new fuses to do some tests before I pop this thing open or try and find a replacement. I'm getting 4A, 5A, and 6.3A 125VAC as well as 4A 250VAC.

I will update how everything goes.

Attachments

• sprague.filter.image.png
    sprague.filter.image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Your filter does appear to have a fuse, but if that doesn't pan out, I suspect that there's a bad solder joint on the little PCB. One of those inductors would have to open--and they're pretty beefy things, not likely to go without fireworks.

Last edited:
Update. It wasn't the filter that was the issue. That thing is built like a tank. I did get it open pretty easily by using my Hakko solder sucker after adding additional solder.

Here is where I failed in trouble shooting and it is a common error. I accidentally made two changes and assumed the first change was the cause of the issue. I tested my filter and found no current leaving. My problem was I plugged it into the power supply and THEN found that it contained a fuse. So when I replaced the fuse and turned it on the fuse would blow and I assumed it was a problem in the filter. The problem was with the power supply. All tantalums looked good and they didn't give up the smoke. It was one of the 470uf capacitors on the AC side. There was nothing visibily wrong with it but a test with the multimeter showed a clear short.

If anyone in the future finds this thread assume it is the power supply and not the sqrague filter.

Attachments

• PXL_20230710_204158665.jpg
    PXL_20230710_204158665.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230710_204219023.jpg
    PXL_20230710_204219023.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230710_204248630.jpg
    PXL_20230710_204248630.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230710_204304456.jpg
    PXL_20230710_204304456.jpg