• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5170 BIOS on IBM 5162?

itsvince725

Experienced Member
Can the IBM 5170 BIOS be used with the IBM 5162 (XT 286)? I believe I read that the XT 286 is BIOS-limited to 6MHz, and the AT seems similar enough hardware-wise that flashing the 5170 BIOS with 8MHz support to the 5162 might work.

Better still, use the IBM 5162 BIOS that has had the 6 MHz speed check removed. See [here].

( Based on post #24 of that thread, only three changes may be required: BIOS, crystal, and CPU. Mileage may vary. )

Better still, use the IBM 5162 BIOS that has had the 6 MHz speed check removed. See [here].

( Based on post #24 of that thread, only three changes may be required: BIOS, crystal, and CPU. Mileage may vary. )

Changing the crystal and CPU is fine, but I had read that even if you do that, without a BIOS change the system won't boot. So I was looking for a BIOS that doesn't have the speed check, and it seems such a thing exists!

Per [here], affected by the upgrade of the 12 MHz crystal are also: 82284 chip, NPU, 82288 chip, keyboard controller chip.
Maybe those chips are already suitably speed rated, or if not, will run reliably at the higher speed.

Back