• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP Vectra 286/12

jasa1063

Experienced Member
I recently picked up a HP Vectra 286/12 with 1MB of ram & 1.2MB 5.25 floppy drive. It came with a HP multi I/O board with IDE & floppy controllers and a parallel and serial port. I put in the following upgrades:

80287XL math coprocessor
2MB Lo-Tech EMS board
Cardex ET4000AX 1MB SVGA video card
Sound Blaster 16 CT4170 audio card
XTIDE BIOS for large hard drive support
Compact Flash to IDE adapter with a 2GB Compact Flash card
New 4.5v computer battery case
Teach FD-505 combo 1.44MB & 1.2MB floppy drive

I tried an Everex EV-159 16-bit memory card with 3MB of ram, but it would not work in this computer. The motherboard has a proprietary 16-bit memory slot. I have been unable to find one to go beyond the 1MB of ram except for installing the EMS board. If anyone knows where one could be obtain it would be appreciated. Here are a few pictures.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 4
I love that whole generation of HP hardware aesthetics. Quality stuff.

HP used to build the best quality equipment back then, especially their printers. It's sad to see what they became over the last 15 years.

HP used to build the best quality equipment back then, especially their printers. It's sad to see what they became over the last 15 years.

Sad to say, it's not just HP. The same can be said of Dell and most of the rest. Forced obsolescence is the order of day. A recurring revenue stream is much more important than building a quality product!

I just picked one of these up the other day from a closed Doctor's office. The CMOS battery was dead and I need the 3.5" setup floppy disk to get in to the Configuration Setup to reorient it.

Looks like it might be here:

Back