Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.


Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.


Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.



Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.


Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.


Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.


Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.


New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.


Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM 4869 1.2 Meg Version

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    IBM 4869 1.2 Meg Version

    Has anyone any experience in troubleshooting failures with these external drive units? I picked one up a few weeks ago with the controller card. Doesn't seem to have power. Usually when I powered up a unit like this, the light of the floppy disk would flash/flicker once, but this one does nothing.

    Chuck, if you're reading this, you still have any of those empty cases lying around?
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

    #2
    I do still have a carton of them. But the boxes themselves are little more than a power supply, so very little to go wrong.
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by lyonadmiral View Post
      Has anyone any experience in troubleshooting failures with these external drive units? I picked one up a few weeks ago with the controller card. Doesn't seem to have power. Usually when I powered up a unit like this, the light of the floppy disk would flash/flicker once, but this one does nothing.
      I'm interested to which "controller card" you have. The 360Kb (4869-001 or 4869-501, with an asterisk on the drive faceplate) drive clunks when doing a disk access. You could check the power inside, even to have a substitute supply.

      4869-002 is the model number for the 115V power supply - the 4869-502 is the 220V unit. The drive would have the same behavior if it is in a system - access LED flickering with power on, so an unknown factor between different possible drives - but typically a flicker, I agree. The page needs a little editing and is redundant with another purely on the controllers: https://ardent-tool.com/floppy/4869-002.html

      Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by IBMMuseum View Post

        I'm interested to which "controller card" you have. The 360Kb (4869-001 or 4869-501, with an asterisk on the drive faceplate) drive clunks when doing a disk access. You could check the power inside, even to have a substitute supply.

        4869-002 is the model number for the 115V power supply - the 4869-502 is the 220V unit. The drive would have the same behavior if it is in a system - access LED flickering with power on, so an unknown factor between different possible drives - but typically a flicker, I agree. The page needs a little editing and is redundant with another purely on the controllers: https://ardent-tool.com/floppy/4869-002.html
        I have the 90X8827/72X6757 branded controller. I've watched some videos on YouTube today, My Messy Lab where he took apart the power supply and tested it, I didn't finish the video for a couple of reasons, I could test it if I got it apart (maybe) but I certainly don't have the fine motor control to do fixes anymore.

        I unplugged the data cable from the controller, tried powering on the drive on/off, off/on, no flicker in the lights, so I wonder if perhaps this PSU has a critical failure.
        Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
        Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
        Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

        Comment


          #5
          The PSU does have a fuse on the PCB, but you'll need to drill out the rivets on the PSU cage to get to it. In at least 2 of my units, I replaced the PSU with a beefier one when I wanted to run SCSI devices--the original didn't have the capacity to support, say, a SCSI CD-ROM drive.
          Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by lyonadmiral View Post
            I have the 90X8827/72X6757 branded controller.
            8-bit bus for the Model 30? That doesn't support the 4869-002. It's a pass-through adapter that uses the system's B: drive connection. I don't believe the adapter itself is diagrammed at the Ardent-Tool, although I have pictures and have dumped the EPROM in a disorganized way at http://ibmmuseum.com/Adapters/

            For anything conventional, you will need to go microchannel with a 15F7996 ("Diskette Adapter/A") controller. There is also an older pass-through design for microchannel that also only supports the 4869-001 (360Kb) as well. No asterisk embossed in the drive face? The 4869-002 are fairly uncommon, although it is an easy drive swap from a 4869-001 - No idea why it was paired with the Model 30 adapter, but someone could have failed to make a go of it for that reason, and just wanted to sell it off.
            Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by IBMMuseum View Post

              8-bit bus for the Model 30? That doesn't support the 4869-002. It's a pass-through adapter that uses the system's B: drive connection. I don't believe the adapter itself is diagrammed at the Ardent-Tool, although I have pictures and have dumped the EPROM in a disorganized way at http://ibmmuseum.com/Adapters/

              For anything conventional, you will need to go microchannel with a 15F7996 ("Diskette Adapter/A") controller. There is also an older pass-through design for microchannel that also only supports the 4869-001 (360Kb) as well. No asterisk embossed in the drive face? The 4869-002 are fairly uncommon, although it is an easy drive swap from a 4869-001 - No idea why it was paired with the Model 30 adapter, but someone could have failed to make a go of it for that reason, and just wanted to sell it off.
              It came in a model 30, although now I get the feeling that maybe that is what happened is the person I bought it from just throwing things together and not realizing the nuances but I went through with the purchase anyway because in all my life (almost 40) I've never seen a 4869-002.
              Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
              Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
              Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by lyonadmiral View Post
                I've watched some videos on YouTube today, My Messy Lab where he took apart the power supply and tested it, I didn't finish the video for a couple of reasons, I could test it if I got it apart (maybe) but I certainly don't have the fine motor control to do fixes anymore.
                It's interesting that he has the 4869-002 - and talks about swapping it back to a 360Kb drive in the third video. He has a 4865 (external 720Kb) drive too. With the 15F7996 adapter, there is a rudimentary driver - I tested this stuff extensively years ago. Here is a video of mine showing the Model 30 adapter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATUFjPldvcg
                Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

                Comment


                  #9
                  Here are the microchannel adapters that you also see on video, including the two versions of the 15F7996 adapter and the DOS driver: https://ardent-tool.com/floppy/5_25_Floppy_Adapter.html
                  Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I don't believe that he's running it on a PS/2. You can run one with a 360K drive from a 5150 floppy controller (DC37 on the bracket) or from a number of third-party controllers. The instruction booklet packed with the drive indicates that the Diskette Adapter/A is appropriate.
                    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                      The instruction booklet packed with the drive indicates that the Diskette Adapter/A is appropriate.
                      It should be easy enough to adapt an internal diskette connection on the right system to run the drive - the SYSGEN "Bridge" designs did. The 15F7996 driver is simplistic and only allows a single drive on the internal and external connections. If there is a drive connected to each, the internal drive is assigned a drive letter first.

                      Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Did you see my blog post back in 2010? Thanks to the new forum software, part 1 here part 2 is still around here. I got started in the 1990s by ordering a 30 cartons (3 drives per carton) of these back in the 1990s and putting Teac FD505 modified drives in them and shipping them with Compaticard IVs. I had a few cartons left over and still have one.
                        Last edited by Chuck(G); May 13, 2021, 07:17 PM.
                        Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                          Did you see my blog post back in 2010? Thanks to the new forum software, part 1 here part 2 is still around here. I got started in the 1990s by ordering a 30 cartons (3 drives per carton) of these back in the 1990s and putting Teac FD505 modified drives in them and shipping them with Compaticard IVs. I had a few cartons left over and still have one.
                          I think I've seen that - the 15F7996 controller only recognizes one drive per each of the internal and external connections. On other adaptations, you can get past that.

                          It would be good to empirically test a 4869-002 with a Model 30 - The right 1.44Mb drives work there, and the controller should be able to run 1.2Mb. There isn't much code on the EPROM to have something more involved.

                          The 15F7996 driver could use some work too. Attached drives are identified as the 5-1/4" size. WBST worked on some angles with them.
                          Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                            I don't believe that he's running it on a PS/2. You can run one with a 360K drive from a 5150 floppy controller (DC37 on the bracket) or from a number of third-party controllers. The instruction booklet packed with the drive indicates that the Diskette Adapter/A is appropriate.
                            I was trying to hook up an 8525 with an external 5.25... I had known there were potentially two versions of the external drive and I had known there were both ISA and MCA versions of the controller card but I didn't know there were two flavors of the MCA card, which unfortunately is moot for me since I do not have an MCA system.
                            Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
                            Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
                            Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

                            Comment


                              #15
                              With all of this in mind, I now have a 4869-002 that I can't tell if it works or if it doesn't and wonder if anyone wants to swap for a 4869-001 or is interested in buying this?
                              Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
                              Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
                              Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X