• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Civilization 2 for Win 3.0?

pgru2

Experienced Member
Hi and thank You for reply in advance
Was there even version of Civ2 that You can run on Win 3.0 (NOT 3.1)? It look like 16 bit application in one of the versions. Or maybe You known how to run Win 3.1 version on Win 3.0 or less?

The Windows 3.1 version requires... well, Windows 3.1

You can try to install the MultiMedia Extentions on Windows 3.0 and see if that makes any difference, but I doubt it.

But what's the point? The game will not work on a system that is too weak for Windows 3.1 anyway.

Win3.1 probably should have been Win4. There's enough substructure difference between it and Win3.0 to differentiate the two significantly (not just cosmetic difference).

It once and a while happens that a program that says it requires Windows 3.1 on the box is actually a 3.0 application. Check the expected windows version number in the executable, if it is set to 3.1 then it simply is not a 3.0 application and 3.0 will refuse to run it. If it says 3.0, then just try it on 3.0 and see if it runs. If it starts to load on 3.0 but complains about missing Microsoft DLLs, then the easiest way to get those is to install Visual Basic 3.0 (it bundles all 3.0 update DLLs, like the common dialog DLL).

If you are looking to make it run in 3.0 8088 real mode, you can forget it. Of all of the native 3.0 application programs I have seen, I think I have only come across two that will do that.

Back