Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

ST-4182E Whats a good controller to get for it ESDI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st choice of a controller I'm considering. ULTRASTOR - 802-18009-02B U12F http://www.franken-online.de/ymmv/files/U12F.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by framer View Post
      1st choice of a controller I'm considering. ULTRASTOR - 802-18009-02B U12F http://www.franken-online.de/ymmv/files/U12F.pdf
      Hey! That's the one I recommended.

Comment

Well I pony up more than I should have but it was the cheapest on FleaBay... $35.00. I almost forgot it was listed as a EDSI controller

framer

Comment

...as opposed to an EDSEL controller?

Comment

That a hoot....

Comment

Well the eBay deal for the LTRASTOR - 802-18009-02B U12F went south. I was sent a PCI video card which I finally got the shipping label to send it back and hopefully get refunded.

The seller could not find the correct card.

Well I bought a DCT-6180-15T and have questions.

Should drive be setup as drive select 1? Should the cable have no twist?

I can only find the doc's on DCT6180-15TX

The differences I'm looking at is W4 default is for a 32k SRAM where my board has a 8k SRAM so I'm closing pin 2 & 3 to select 8K

My board has no jumpers for W2 W3 so they are open by default.

I'm hoping the switch setting are correct

SW1-1 closed factory configured default
              SW1-2 Primary port 1F0h-1F7h enabled open default
              SW1-3 Auto-deselect disabled open default ---- what is this setting for?
              SW1-4 BIOS EPROM enabled closed default
              SW1-5 BIOS ADDRESS
              SW1-6 BIOS ADDRESS
              SW1-7 Interrupt after reset enabled closed default
              SW1-8 Track buffer enabled closed default

Other issue I had to leave a ST-22 MFM floppy controller in the system to use the floppy drive. I set the AT bios to show no HD's installed. I changed the BIOS address on the DTC-1680-15T to D4000h

My 1st attempt W4 was set wrong and I'm not sure on the cabling before I try again I would love to make sure on the cabling and if the switches have the same meaning between the DTC-6180--15t and the DTC-6180-15TX

How should the led on the HD act before I run the debug program if it's setup correctly?

Any help greatly appreciated...

Comment

No twists in an ESDI cable, at least for primary--but if you do that, you can't have an MFM controller sharing that 1Fx address. I assume that you mean the DTC6180. You'll have to figure something out for the floppies. The DTC6280 has floppy support--and, in fact, can support 4 floppy drives.

You might have luck setting the ST22 to secondary, BIOS disabled. That would be JP1 closed and JP3 closed. That would still let you use the FDC on the card.
                Last edited by Chuck(G); July 13, 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I can only use the floppies on the primary setting JP1&2 open. I was already using the card with JP3 closed. I did try it open, no joy on the floppies. All this was done w/o the DTC card in the system.

FYI I've now tried 3 oddball MIO cards with floppy interfaces, after I disable the IDE port the floppies show as not working press F! and then they do work. I guess I need to locate a floppy only card that works with an AT. I also tried 2 8bit XT HD cards with the same results.

I think plan B buy another ESDI card with a floppy interface. Insane hobbyist working here...

Comment

If you've got a SCSI controller with floppy, you could always try that--there's no port conflict there.

Comment

Yes I do. I also just found a sysgen omni2bridge 8 bit controller that I can disable the BIOS and use in an AT. FYI this is being done in a IBM 5162 system.

I have to stop now before for wife forgets I exist. I'll continue tomorrow.

Thanks for Chuck for that SCSI tip. I'll try that if the Sysgen card fail to work. I'm betting it just might be what I needed.

Comment

The Omnibridge card should work--it uses a WD37C65 FDC IIRC, so very PC-compatible.

Comment

All the MIO's I tried, setup to just use the floppy controller, and all the 8 bit HD floppy controllers including the Sysgen one, always show a 601 error press F1 and then it boots from floppy. The DTC-6180 card is not in the computer. I still don't understand this. The ST-22 floppy controller works and boots perfect on the primary setting. I was able to install the DTC-6140 and bring up the bios program to LL format the drive by setting JP1 OPEN JP2 CLOSED that used HD port address 1F0-1F7, 3F6-3F7; however, the HD led remains on the LL format program does't find a drive.

I need to locate a card that has a floppy controller built in. I'm also out of slots and to use a separate floppy controller I've been pulling out my network card.

FYI I did select no BIOS on the Sysgen card SW2 was all off.
                          I did try the Adaptec AHA-1540CF and got the same issue as all the other floppy controllers.

I'm using Gsetup to setup the CMOS.

Comment

The Sysgen with bios disabled is a plain old AT-compatible controller as far as the system is concerned--assuming that it's set as 3fx,IRQ 6, DMA 2.

Well, like I mentioned, I've got two DTC controllers, the one I've used most is the 6282, which does have a floppy controller.

Comment

Working with the AHA-1540CF SCSI adapter I got it 1st showed a 601 error w/o the DTC6180 in the system but after I pressed F1 it booted to the floppy. I put the DTC6180 in with
                              SW1-1 on FACTORY SET
                              SW1-2 OFF Primary port1F0h-1F7h
                              SW1-3 OFF Auto-deselect disabled
                              SW1-4 ON Bios EPROM enabled
                              SW1-5 OFF BIOS ADDRESS C8000h
                              SW1-6 OFF w/sw1-5
                              SW1-7 ON Interrupt after reset enabled
                              SW1-8 ON Track buffer enabled

On boot to floppy it no longer had the 601 error. I was able to run Debug g=c800:5 program to LL format and verify the drive. I fdisk'd and formatted the drive with 3.3 DOS and transfer the system. The computer booted successfully to the C: drive.

Now the weird issue. The LED on the HD is always on. What am I missing. The LED has never shut off from the start of the process.

Does the LED on the drive show it the selected drive? The LED connected to the DTC6180 show the drive working normally.
                              Last edited by framer; July 16, 2021, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Since this is the only drive on the controller, I think that your explanation is reasonable. The LED and bezel on my ESDI drives were removed as part of the installation, so I can't say much more than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X