• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seagate st412 and full length xebec controller.

The drive was working fine. I removed the drive and controller to put in an xt-ide card in. Today I decided to put the st412 back in. On booting I get a 1701 error.

But doing so won't damage the drive, just necessitate a LLF when the cables are straightened out. Floppy drives are also susceptible with this flaw. That's why hooking up a drive with a write-enabled floppy inserted is a bad idea.

I'll research a LLF.

EDIT: Reading minuszerodegrees.

EDIT 2: I've identified the adapter, it's the original supplied with the ST 412. I have an Advanced Diagnostics Disk somewhere. Otherwise i'll use debug to LLF.

Last edited:
Does the controller have options for multiple formats? I think the later ones had 4 choices, jumpers or something. If it came with the drive, I’d assume it’s set correctly, but it doesn’t hurt to double check.

Does the drive actually spin up? I recently bought an XT with an ST-412 and the spindle wouldn’t move. Fortunately it’s accessible externally and I was able to stick something non-conductive under the PCB and give it a few good spins (I checked some YouTube videos to make sure I was spinning it the correct direction) and it eventually came to life and started spinning on it’s own.

Thanks. I'll try that later. Not sure if it spins up. I'll check. Might not get around to it till tomorrow "chores, no geeking" I was told

It's the card that came with drive. According to the photo on minuszero degrees it's the first generation card, no switches or jumpers. The drive did work before I moved it

1. Make sure that the ribbon cables are attached correctly to the controller card. For example, sometimes when I do not use my reading glasses, I plug in the cable out by a row of pins - per [here].

2. See [here]. Sometimes, after multiple de-attach/reattach operations, one of the four metal connectors can open up to the point of making a poor connection. Imagine a poor +12V connection between the power supply and the hard drive.

1. Make sure that the ribbon cables are attached correctly to the controller card. For example, sometimes when I do not use my reading glasses, I plug in the cable out by a row of pins - per [here].

2. See [here]. Sometimes, after multiple de-attach/reattach operations, one of the four metal connectors can open up to the point of making a poor connection. Imagine a poor +12V connection between the power supply and the hard drive.

1 seems to be ok.

2 I'll check.

Would it give a 1701 error if the spindle was stuck?

Back