• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recommended DOS shell or menu

ianoid

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a recommendation on a DOS shell or menu program I can use with a large volume I have setup using an XTide.

I have tried a few. Some limit the number of directories they read, and tend to be slow to read the directory structure all at once. Some menus don't work at all using my setup.

I would love to find one that is more tolerant to long file names- did anyone every program around that?.

I really just want to be able to navigate directories and execute files. Essentially a front end for a large volume of DOS directories.

Also need one that respects my Tandy 1000's 640K.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Link blocked for me - says it's a Trojan? :rolleyes:

Huh? Checks out fine on my system? Norton, McAfee, and Microsoft Security Essentials found nothing. When I install on a VM F-Prot doesn't find anything either. Which anti-virus are you using so I can try?

Huh? Checks out fine on my system? Norton, McAfee, and Microsoft Security Essentials found nothing. When I install on a VM F-Prot doesn't find anything either. Which anti-virus are you using so I can try?
Probably one of my Google settings.

'
Late edit: Malwarebytes trapped it and said it was suspected Trojan.

Ugh, I hate Malwarebytes but I'll give it a try and see what it reports.

Update: I just scanned the file with Malwarebytes 4.4.0 (the latest) and it found nothing?

Ugh, I hate Malwarebytes but I'll give it a try and see what it reports.

Update: I just scanned the file with Malwarebytes 4.4.0 (the latest) and it found nothing?

Well I'm just reporting. I could have bypassed Malwarebytes but I'm not a chance taker these days.
On he other hand it was probably okay.

If you want to go the menu route the best DOS menu in my opinion is Microfox's HDM 4.67 Hard Drive Menu. You can download it here:

http://cd.textfiles.com/cream/cream04/utility/hdm467.zip

I sell CF cards on eBay with this preinstalled. You can see some screen shots here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384183048687

I had no trouble downloading it. Scanned clean on my end. The screen shots look interesting. I may consider replacing Direct Access with it. However, this is shareware. Is there a (used) boxed version out there.

Back