• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Restore a Tandy 1000sx

Patrick.B (TTR)

Experienced Member
After acquiring this PC Clone from an estate auction with a missing keyboard, I had obviously clean it, repair the PSU and rewire the power cord on the Monitor.
then like many decided I needed some upgrades as the floppy drives were "rusted" immobile;

Upgraded the 8088 to a Nec V20, Added a D8087 co-processor, swapped the floppy drive space to fit, a Gotek with 16x2 OLED on a 3d printed bracket, then set an WD 1002A-WX1 MFM Card + D220 18MB HDD. Then I upgraded the mouseless system with Multi I/O w/ Real-Time Clock, Logitech 2 button Serial Mouse, and found a proper Tandy 1000 Keyboard to complete the set, for sound since the Tandy 1000sc has a 3 voice sound card, connected it to a Tandy MMS10 for the sound amplifier. MS-DOS 622 and Deskmate 305 to complete it.

79sv1Qb.png

Last edited:
Good for you on fixing that PS. My T1000 came with no +12V and I was unable to fix it and ended up replacing the power supply with a mean well rt85b I think. Luckily it fit inside the old PS aluminum case.

Very nice, especially what you've done with the audio.

Yeah, those MMS-10 units are nice. I have a few of them. In fact, I'll be posting a Tandy 1000EX system for sale in a week or so that includes one of them. You don't get stereo from the 3-voice chip but the MMS-10 makes a Tandy 1000 sound really sweet.

You don't get stereo from the 3-voice chip but the MMS-10 makes a Tandy 1000 sound really sweet.
I have a mono sound card that feeds one silly speaker. Second card that I bought back in 1987 after my 300 baud modem. Still use it.

My SX uses a 5.25 and a 3.5 as well as a XT-IDE with a CF card, along with a 640x420 VGA. Never cared for CGA. (used to have an EGA which was on par with my present VGA).

Back