• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Victor 8088 clone

VampireSlug

My first DOS-based PC was an 8088 clone made by Victor but I can't find any information on the 'net about this model or company anywhere. I can find stuff about the Victor 9000 but nothing about what I had. It had a standard IBM 5150-style case, an 8088 CPU, 640Kb of RAM, dual 360Kb 5.25" floppy drives, and CGA graphics. I wish I'd never sold it but now, years later, it's as if it never existed. Anyone know anything about this company or model?

Sounds like a VPC post-chapter-11 Victor (not Sirius). If you traveled Highway 17 between the coast and the Santa Clara Valley, their building was quite visible as you passed through Scotts Valley, long after the 9000.

I believe that the VPC was made by Kyocera and rebadged. Recall that Victor's assets were purchased by a Swedish company after bankruptcy.

That Victor would be ensnarled in legal troubles was fitting. Back when the company was first formed, they sued anyone in electronics using the name "Victor", including a small electronics store owner who had been using the name for 25 years. Bad karma'll getcha every time.

Last edited:
Sounds like a VPC post-chapter-11 Victor (not Sirius). If you traveled Highway 17 between the coast and the Santa Clara Valley, their building was quite visible as you passed through Scotts Valley, long after the 9000.

I believe that the VPC was made by Kyocera and rebadged. Recall that Victor's assets were purchased by a Swedish company after bankruptcy.

That Victor would be ensnarled in legal troubles was fitting. Back when the company was first formed, they sued anyone in electronics using the name "Victor", including a small electronics store owner who had been using the name for 25 years. Bad karma'll getcha every time.

Wow! My case looked more like the IBM 5150 but that's the same company logo that was on mine. Great find, thanks!

A 15 MB hard drive? I've never heard of such a size, unless they were using a 10 MB MFM drive with an RLL controller.

And I'm surprised RCA (owner of the Victor trademark for phonograph records) didn't go after them for trademark infringement, but as RCA was circling the drain in the mid-1980s, I'm sure they had bigger things to worry about.

Never used the Rodime drives? All sorts of funky sizes, 3, 6, 9, 11, 12 and 16 (RO 203). Got one such (RO 203) here--and it still works. Another that comes to mind is the Memorex 323. Another might be the IMI 5028. Early on, there were lots of manufacturers of FH 5.25" ST506 drives. In a few years, the herd thinned out considerably.. Rodime was interesting as the drives were made in Scotland. I believe that they made some drives for the early Mac as well.

Back